Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630832 times)

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12885 on: February 20, 2010, 08:45:16 am »

What's happened? Last update was over a month ago :o?

(I haven't had the computer for a few weeks, I'm clueless?)
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: February 20, 2010, 08:45:49 am »

Crime would be great. It could increase depending on the personality of the dwarf and whether or not he has regular work to do. So a fortress with 90 idlers might eventually develop a severe crime problem as the horde of destitute dwarves scramble to survive, stealing food, squatting in vacant houses, and trying to avoid the guards.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: February 20, 2010, 08:52:38 am »

With all the new features there are a whole lot of new bugs too. Toady has been ironing them out. If you think Toady's been slacking read the devlog.
Meh.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54:07 am »

Check out the dev_log.  Toady is currently on the bug-testing phase, so he can't really green or blue it out until it is done... no way of predicting how far through bugs he is.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html

Rest assured Toady has been working solidly on some rather amusing bugs.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12889 on: February 20, 2010, 09:49:48 am »

Yeah, I put a link up in the first post, since this has come up a few times.  I'm working through all of the questions...  I think I have nine left as of now, but it's time for bed.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: February 20, 2010, 09:51:50 am »

Yeah, I put a link up in the first post, since this has come up a few times.  I'm working through all of the questions...  I think I have nine left as of now, but it's time for bed.

Isn't the time in the US around 10 AM? Do you sleep at day and work at night?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12891 on: February 20, 2010, 09:55:25 am »

Ha ha, yeah, it tends to gravitate toward that.  It's 7AM now where I'm at.  I guess it's easier for sunlight to chase me to bed than it is for me to stop working at a given time.  There are also generally fewer distractions.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: February 20, 2010, 10:14:13 am »

We still had DF bugs to go around. Liaisons had been hanging out doing nothing, staying in some fortresses for years before moving on, but not all of them. After a bit of poking around, I found that one of the liaisons that chose to linger was in fact trying to meet with a batman blowgunner far underground. Apparently any creature that was around on the map before the dwarves that wasn't a historical figure was thought to hold every responsibility for every civilization, including receiving diplomats. The new animal people camps created this situation.

Sounds like you've unlocked a potential way to have tribes during worldgen!
:) As in the camps could be the key to it if you don't get what I mean.

dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

Eew, lol.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:33:54 am by smjjames »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: February 20, 2010, 10:27:31 am »

Eew, lol.

Heh. It's like a Pat Mills comic or something. Although, if dragons had an incredibly strong immune system, their pus might be incredibly valuable by dint of it containing the deadliest pathogens imaginable.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: February 20, 2010, 10:28:06 am »

Speaking of creatures. With the Ark project underway (to some extent), maybe you could make it so that the game recognizes [IDENTIFIER:] tags (or whatever name you might come up with for them)? Just so that if added, these tags won't throw out errorlog lines. The tags would be for a future implementation of a species system, where a dwarf could hate or love a general class of critters, in addition to other uses. The syntax, I think, would be [IDENTIFIER:<GAME-SIDE ID>:noun_singular:noun_plural:adjective], for both generic stuff like "animals" or "humanoids" (a dwarf that hates humanoids... maybe beardless humanoids?), as well as specific cases like "rodents","rats","worms","pointy-eared bastards", etc.

(the general intent at this point is being able to add the tags to the creatures of the Ark project without the game complaining, and so that there won't be a need to shuffle through the 1000+ creatures and set these tags for them once support for them does roll around)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:29:47 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12895 on: February 20, 2010, 10:31:11 am »

Eew, lol.

So teeth will become valuable, but dragon pus is still going to have a high value?? So, like, a dragon with gangrene or something is more valuable as a pet than a healthy one?

I can just imagine adventure mode becoming a quest to follow around behind those mysteriously-injured-in-worldgen mega-beasts and gather up parts that fall off. :D
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12896 on: February 20, 2010, 10:32:16 am »

Eew, lol.

So teeth will become valuable, but dragon pus is still going to have a high value?? So, like, a dragon with gangrene or something is more valuable as a pet than a healthy one?

I can just imagine adventure mode becoming a quest to follow around behind those mysteriously-injured-in-worldgen mega-beasts and gather up parts that fall off. :D

I'll finally have a reason to do that? Sweet.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: February 20, 2010, 10:33:13 am »

"Dragon teeth?  You think we collect dragon teeth son?  What were you living under a rock for the last 20 years?  This big girl here we cut a small wound into, usually around here, or here, then we take some old rotten cow chunks and smear them in there a little bit. Careful of those teeth there son, she likes to pretend she's sleeping then grab somebody not paying attention, we lost Thibil like that last week, at least we didn't have to feed her that day.  Alright back to this, so then we wait a few days and get a bucket. This one here is about right, just needs one more day.  We poke the hole here, and put the bucket underneath.  Be careful because it might spray a little, and then there you go.  High quality 100% genuine white gold!"
« Last Edit: February 20, 2010, 10:35:40 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: February 20, 2010, 10:37:10 am »

with the new poison systems it gets even better!
Mod in some extract or other - "dragon-blister".
Make sure your dwarf is wearing mittens. Have him dump it on the caged dragon. PROFIT!

of course, the real item of value here is seeds for the dragon-wart (yes, I know it's usually "wort", but in this case...)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: February 20, 2010, 10:42:31 am »

Quote from: Devlog
Non-programming bug to report: I know a lot of you were disappointed by the latest DF talk. I was sort of confused by the specific complaints at first, but I actually went back to the transcript today and found that somehow I only managed to send 6 of the 7 recorded segments over to be edited. The missing segment? A 27 minute file starting with "All right, so now we're going to talk about the future of the artifacts", which was the main draw of the talk for pretty much everybody. Sorry for not catching my mistake sooner! The file is intact, and we'll try to get that together promptly.
Yay! I thought that DF talk felt a little light.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1065