Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630830 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12540 on: February 14, 2010, 03:53:00 am »

Hey, I've been lurking this forum for the past few months, and with the upcoming release decided to finally make my presence known to ask the following question:

With the changes to the military, will it now be possible to undraft elite soldiers?

I like to run small frontier style forts where everyone receives some military training, to be able to defend themselves in an emergency, but I hate the fact that once they get good enough at fighting, they suddenly decide common work is beneath them.
I'm not sure I remember if they're the same thing, but Champion is now an elected position, meaning your elite-dwarves won't suddenly fall out of your influence when they reach a certain skill level.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Fist_Of_Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • Shorer, Kobold Pimp cancels Work: Too Pimpin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12541 on: February 14, 2010, 03:54:19 am »

Stupid question, I know, but where can I find the DevLog?

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12543 on: February 14, 2010, 04:05:47 am »

Will we be able to create our own poisons/diseases? I'm already thinking of one that causes the dwarf's blood to boil and catch on fire...

You can create poisons, yeah.  Check out the poison raws here (minor spoilers about the new underground).  Certain types of diseases will work, others won't -- mainly, there isn't a real implementation of contagion yet.  Making a dwarf's blood boil probably couldn't be accomplished with a simple poison -- it'd require injection of a very hot substance.

I'd be nifty if a symptom of a syndrome could be secreting a substance. That would allow us to make a syndrome that adds a gaseous secretion that causes the syndrome in question.

We were discussing this a few pages ago:

What if you had a creature that coated victims with a huge amount of contact poison? Could that not then spread from dwarf to dwarf?

Haha, interesting approach.  Yeah, you could make a creature that spits globs of poisonous vomit, but the dwarves would still have to touch each other, which probably only happens via sparring.

Although... there are three special materials whose release can be triggered by poison: blood, vomit and pus.  So you could make one of those poisonous to serve as a disease vector.  Pus seems like the natural choice, and you can even make it a gas instead of the default liquid.  So, give your dwarves a gaseous pus that causes necrosis/oozing in anyone nearby, and you'll have a contagious disease.  It still won't be quite right for zombies, though, since any infected wound (whether caused by a zombie or not) could cause an outbreak of zombie plague.

28 steps later...
magmaaaaaaaa...

We should make a suggestion thread filled with disease/poison ideas. I'd be squicked out after two posts, but hey.  :P
I think there might already be one. I'll go look for ya.
EDIT: As far as I can tell, I can't see one. If you start one, I'll happily contribute. Otherwise, I'll have to make my own, and I've no idea where to start with making such a suggestion thread >w<

There are a couple existing threads, nothing particularly comprehensive though:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=5551.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=46817.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=30942.0
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=37746.0

With the changes to the military, will it now be possible to undraft elite soldiers?

This makes it sound like it: "Out too are all of the restrictions on changing equipment on your "elite/lord/master" soldiers, and they don't have to be soldiering all the time [...]"

Does mud spread out when walked through and disappear on year change again? Do dwarves get bad thoughts from poor-condition clothes, or wearing no clothes; if their personality means they would? Do "exotic clothing" shops still exist to make vacuuming useless clothes to traders difficult?

Basically asking if things that were disabled for whatever reason will be re-enabled.

Mud spreading is back in, yes: "Also did material spatter spreading (the new system has an amount so things like mud can't just spread out forever) [...]"  And it sounds like seasonal disappearances are gone:

Quote from: Quatch
Will muddied ground be cleanable/autocleaned/seasonal cleaned?

Detailed ground with mud spatter is marked for the cleaning job.  I think the seasonal spatter cleanup has been shut off tentatively so we can see how the amounts effect that overall.  If it doesn't track far away from the farms, it should look cool.  It shouldn't take over everything like before, but we'll have to see.

I'm not sure what you mean about exotic clothing shops vis-a-vis "things that were disabled."  Did they ever get disabled?  Or do you mean they're a stopgap for some other feature that got disabled?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 04:08:50 am by Footkerchief »

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12544 on: February 14, 2010, 04:30:03 am »

I'm not sure what you mean about exotic clothing shops
I was ranting at how semi-useless it is, that's all. It really only seems to exist so it can be a pawn shop for nobles with money to blow on useless goblin-elf-human clothes.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Ghazz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12545 on: February 14, 2010, 08:52:44 am »

I'm not sure what you mean about exotic clothing shops
I was ranting at how semi-useless it is, that's all. It really only seems to exist so it can be a pawn shop for nobles with money to blow on useless goblin-elf-human clothes.

My theory; it is for cultural exchange... they look at the clothes and get a look into a different culture and what they wear... In addition to the whole war trophy thing, of course...

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12546 on: February 14, 2010, 10:12:23 am »

Release on April 11th, my birthday. Less than 2 months.

My own clone!

Now neither of us will be virgins.

...I...

...I didn't think I would ever be reminded of that...
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12547 on: February 14, 2010, 11:07:39 am »

I meant to post this yesterday, but this bit from the devlog

It's 10:30 AM now, 26 hours after the last entry... so I'm going to go ahead and start marking the dev log with the day that it actually is instead of the day that I woke up on.

is the best piece of news I've heard (About DF!) in a long, long time!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12548 on: February 14, 2010, 11:11:06 am »

It's 10:30 AM now, 26 hours after the last entry... so I'm going to go ahead and start marking the dev log with the day that it actually is instead of the day that I woke up on.

That explains why I've never been able to get to grips with Toadys timezone.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12549 on: February 14, 2010, 11:22:07 am »

Am i the only one who thinks dwarven epidemics sound absolutely terrible?  I mean, these dwarves are so goddamn dumb.  Anyone watched in vain as all of your dwarfs decide now's a great time to get a drink, sleep, or go on break when you really need that lever pulled before the advancing orcs get -- oh, too late. 

Having the traders bring the mumps for the 8th time and lay out half the dwarfs in the fortress and bring things to even more of a standstill just, ugh.  That doesn't really sound like fun.  or Fun.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12550 on: February 14, 2010, 11:38:44 am »

Am i the only one who thinks dwarven epidemics sound absolutely terrible?  I mean, these dwarves are so goddamn dumb.  Anyone watched in vain as all of your dwarfs decide now's a great time to get a drink, sleep, or go on break when you really need that lever pulled before the advancing orcs get -- oh, too late. 

Having the traders bring the mumps for the 8th time and lay out half the dwarfs in the fortress and bring things to even more of a standstill just, ugh.  That doesn't really sound like fun.  or Fun.

Lord knows how you'd let your dwarves get mumps from the traders. You playing Dwarf Clubhouse or something?
Anyway, Dwarves ought to be a bit less attention deficit next release and will get drinks and things before or after they do tasks as opposed to during.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12551 on: February 14, 2010, 11:44:13 am »

Haha, yeah, I'd been wondering when he'd take the plunge.

I'm just worried about the ability of doctors to treat these things. Are we going to have to start importing Golden Salve or whatever to cure poisons?

Golden salve and other extracts will still be useless.  However, dwarves will acquire "resistance over multiple exposures if an effect is flagged [on the poison] to allow this."  Their DISEASE_RESISTANCE attribute will also help.  And you shouldn't worry so much!  Losing is fun and all that.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12552 on: February 14, 2010, 12:20:50 pm »

Set up your fort so it's not one big public swimming pool then.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12553 on: February 14, 2010, 12:52:29 pm »

Well best would be to install a some sort of secondary fort where all the newcomers stay for a season observed by a high-skilled doc before they move into the mainfort. This way you prevent bigger outbreaks of the plague etc. I also think we will need more deadly vermin traps.

Another thing would be certain immunities by the genetics.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 12:54:20 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12554 on: February 14, 2010, 03:44:06 pm »

Anyone have a general idea as to when the kingdom, army and monarchy related stuffs will come into play? I would really like to see the things discussed in Core 27, 30, 33, 35, 46, 60, and the other things like offering to your king.

This seems to me, as one of the most interesting future aspects.
Pages: 1 ... 835 836 [837] 838 839 ... 1065