Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630906 times)

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12495 on: February 13, 2010, 02:15:11 pm »

Quote from: Toady's Dev Log
I made a creature earlier with a poison that gives you H1N1, basically, and there's apparently a bug with fevers... they never go down, even after the illness itself leaves the system.

Welp. it's official now, Dwarves can now contract H1N1. Were screwed! Sounds like we are in for a Dwarven Panidemic.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

deathc4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12496 on: February 13, 2010, 02:25:10 pm »

I sure hope kitchens can make chicken noodle soup and 7up.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12497 on: February 13, 2010, 02:27:45 pm »

Quote from: Toady's Dev Log
I made a creature earlier with a poison that gives you H1N1, basically, and there's apparently a bug with fevers... they never go down, even after the illness itself leaves the system.

Welp. it's official now, Dwarves can now contract H1N1. Were screwed! Sounds like we are in for a Dwarven Panidemic.

Don't be silly. Dwarves live in isolated communities with no airplane travel. Even if a sick dwarf wanted to emigrate to your fortress he would either die or get better during the trip.

This will be more of an epidemic scenario, where you try to contain the sickness to only one burrow.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12498 on: February 13, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

Ever heard the term "Black death" or incubation time? you wouldnt get if a dwarf is already ill untill well untill its t late. And lets not forget Parasites and vermin.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 02:49:30 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12499 on: February 13, 2010, 03:06:32 pm »

I wonder if you'll be able to make a poison that makes the dwarf breathe said poison.

One guy gets it, breathes in the face of another dwarf, pretty soon dwarves from the mountainhomes with gasmasks and torches are exterminating your fortress.
Shoes...

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12500 on: February 13, 2010, 03:13:35 pm »

Ever heard the term "Black death" or incubation time? you wouldnt get if a dwarf is already ill untill well untill its t late. And lets not forget Parasites and vermin.

Yeah, you're right.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12501 on: February 13, 2010, 03:16:05 pm »

I wonder if you'll be able to make a poison that makes the dwarf breathe said poison.

One guy gets it, breathes in the face of another dwarf, pretty soon dwarves from the mountainhomes with gasmasks and torches are exterminating your fortress.

Nope. Not possible. Been asked a couple times before, usually in a question related to zombies:

Are we going to be able to mod zombies/ zombie diseases in the new version?

Not really.  Diseases currently require the creature to touch, inhale, or get injected with a material.  Creatures can also exhale, secrete and inject disease-causing materials, but there's no way to link the onset of those "abilities" with the creature getting the disease itself.  In other words, you can't do contagion.  The best you can do (AFAIK) is give dwarves a weird ITEMCORPSE that produces a puff of disease gas when they die.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:17:44 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12502 on: February 13, 2010, 03:24:12 pm »

I'm taking it then that one can't get diseases from vermin? Simulating the black death would be sweet.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12503 on: February 13, 2010, 03:31:20 pm »

Assuming the cave spider bite mechanic didn't get taken out for some reason, you should still be able to (rarely) get problems from vermin; you just wouldn't be able to have an epidemic-type thing.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12504 on: February 13, 2010, 03:46:36 pm »

The plague is thought to have been spread by fleas, so you could create a flea creature with a special rare caste that carries the plague (i.e., has an injection attack).  But yeah, there would be no epidemiological aspects to speak of.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12505 on: February 13, 2010, 03:47:27 pm »

Well not yet actually but in one of the next versions. Hehe i guess toady gets now watched by the FBI since he did write about H1n1 and a poison that infects you with it.

The rat-flea and the Human-flea and some other actually arent affected that much by "Yersinia pestis" (the plague is bacterial) and its variants they die if they reach around some million bacterias per millilitre blood. A human dies around 10 thousand bacterias per millilitre. It was also discovered that the plague can survive frozen in corpses in food and on clothes etc. for a given time (some hours to centurys).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 03:58:26 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12506 on: February 13, 2010, 03:54:11 pm »

Is it possible for there to be any discrepancy between vermin of differing sizes? A flea is notably smaller than a rat, and I wouldn't expect a cat to be able to hunt them down and carry their corpses around.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12507 on: February 13, 2010, 04:00:32 pm »

The flea would be actually a parasite of the vermin and much smaller (size 1?). The rat carries the flea around which at some point jumps over to humanoids in our case. And the rats ans well as over 200 other species of mammals can carry the plague too including mice cats and dogs.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:20:18 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12508 on: February 13, 2010, 04:12:59 pm »

Is it possible for there to be any discrepancy between vermin of differing sizes? A flea is notably smaller than a rat, and I wouldn't expect a cat to be able to hunt them down and carry their corpses around.

Vermin can have different sizes in the next version, as can be seen in the fluffy wambler raws, but I doubt the discrepancy is meaningful yet.  Most likely it's only used so that the GRAVITATE_BODY_SIZE tag will have something to work with.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #12509 on: February 13, 2010, 04:21:36 pm »

Well, well...
If said cat had aid (sorry, couldn't resist  ::))
Pages: 1 ... 832 833 [834] 835 836 ... 1065