Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630750 times)

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12480 on: February 12, 2010, 11:31:29 pm »

Ha ha, it's 8:30 in the morning again... I should figure out a way to write the dev log halfway through the day, with a time machine or something. Anyway, some stuff works better now. Glass even worked on the first try.

I half expected a sentence 2 lines down saying
"Man, I'm so drunk."

:P

Glad I wasn't the only one.
Given that toady is a dwarf, what we should be surprised about isn't that this happened, but that it's only happened once.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12481 on: February 12, 2010, 11:55:11 pm »

I keep thinking that he must be so close, but, like Zeno's paradox, he never reaches the end of the dev.
P1: DF is an aeon away from completion.
P2: If we take one second from the remaining time, DF is still an aeon away from completion.
C: Therefore DF will always be an aeon away from completion.

I know, it's not a true syllogism, but it's a reformulation of Zeno's "paradox", so sue me.

(Please don't sue me :'()

funny story, i know this lawer that bought something at fry's, when he got home and found it didn't work (and in fact he found it had been repackaged and sold 'new') he took it back.  he went to get it exchanged for a new one, the person wouldn't take it back, so he asked for his supervisor, the person just said "so sue me."  needless to say he sued fry's.

...does it really matter?

Are you insane?  Just knowing it exists keeps me from paying good money on the crappy games that HAVE been released.  Hell, just reading the dev notes and thinking about DF is still better than probably 90% of the games that exist.

Testify, people!  Can I get an, Amen!?
are you implying that this games doesn't exist?  it exists, you just can't play it yet (unless you are toady or threetoe).  hence the question was never if the game exists, but whether or not one should care about the quality of a game they cannot play.  personally i'd say that it is a good thing since even though you can't play it, it has been done and thus the excuse 'it can't be done' becomes easier to reject.  it is like when i was talking with someone about mixing vehicles and infantry in a fps, and he said 'there is no way to do it due to all of the issues involved' and i told him that one would have to write their own engine to do it, and he said it would be a waste of time since there would be no way an infantryman could take on a tank if the tank was aware he was in combat.  i had a similar talk with someone about mixing planes into fps, and of course mixing board game strategy with rts, and many others that are now quite common.  in short it will matter even if i never get to play because it will open the door for good games down the road.

oh yeah, about DF being better than 90% of the games, i think you are quite wrong, it is somewhere above 99%.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12482 on: February 13, 2010, 04:04:37 am »

are you implying that this games doesn't exist?

I didn't imply that, you inferred it...incorrectly, of course.

...mixing vehicles and infantry in a fps...mixing planes into fps...

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 04:08:12 am by Dwarfu »

DreamThorn

• Bay Watcher
  • Seer of Void
    • View Profile
    • My game dev hobby blog (updates almost never)
« Reply #12483 on: February 13, 2010, 04:46:24 am »

Amen!

All hail Nodlod Kôn Dôbar!  (Toadone the Master of Creating)
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Phant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12484 on: February 13, 2010, 05:33:39 am »

Enjoy!

Hah! I was going to post the WW2OL link. Not only an example of a fps/sim combining infantry, armour and air, but also another one of those rare games these days that is as much a labor of love as a product.

IceDragon_XxX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12485 on: February 13, 2010, 05:36:27 am »

Hmmm... can't wait to make me floating platform fortress where I don't have to have escape tunnels down each one due to the entire hide underground option when goblins or some other bady comes. Burroughs are gonna change the game immensely for myself.

*Edit* Think I just said that mules are gonna change the game a lot for some reason... I need sleeps, -_-
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:38:20 am by IceDragon_XxX »

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12486 on: February 13, 2010, 10:04:20 am »

Enjoy!

Doesn't this happen in many many games though?

Timesplitters and Halo are two easy examples.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12487 on: February 13, 2010, 12:30:46 pm »

hehe new devblog.And i was pondering to donate a sword - made by a friend who is Blacksmith. I have the money around for the moment.

You'd have to talk to the post office about that one. I'm sure it'll take a fuckload of bubble wrap, though.
You could do it pretty easily in Geami if they had a machine for that.

And then afterward scamps would even have a new toy-fabric.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12488 on: February 13, 2010, 01:10:36 pm »

Are the [MEGABEAST] tags at the caste, or the creature level? I seem to remember hearing that it was only the Biome and [CAN_CIV] type things that were.
If they're just a caste thing, does that mean we can create dangerous "Rogue" creatures that have to be hunted down?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12489 on: February 13, 2010, 01:22:36 pm »

Are the [MEGABEAST] tags at the caste, or the creature level? I seem to remember hearing that it was only the Biome and [CAN_CIV] type things that were.
If they're just a caste thing, does that mean we can create dangerous "Rogue" creatures that have to be hunted down?

They're caste-level, as is CAN_CIV:

The number of tokens that are creature rather than caste specific is very small.  Creatures handle the overall name, biome, whether the creature is considered fanciful/doesn't exist (for art), vermin information (so, no, Fault, sorry!... too much depends on that right now), whether groups hang together closely, whether it is mundane (from real Earth for age name purposes), population information including good/evil/savage, if it is equipment, sphere information (not sure how long that'll last, but there were annoyances), and that looks like it (they also have some general categories that have caste overrides, like child names and speeches for adv mode).  Everything else, including body information, is held in the castes.

So yeah, that should work, and it's an interesting idea for mods.  There might be weird side effects, though, like if they take control of a human civilization but still get labeled as "rogue human."
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 01:39:32 pm by Footkerchief »

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12490 on: February 13, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »

So yeah, that should work, and it's an interesting idea for mods.  There might be weird side effects, though, like if they take control of a human civilization but still get labeled as "rogue human."
Well, I was thinking along the lines of Rogue Elephants. For humans and the like, I'd be more inclined to make them "Dark Lords" or "Demigods", although I suppose you might end up with an unprecedented number of them. Perhaps the Dark Lords might seek middle-management positions.

For animals and monsters, it'd be interesting to see if you could create situations where there'd be a semi-megabeast with an entourage of henchmonsters. Lord knows what that would do to their biome placement

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12491 on: February 13, 2010, 01:53:27 pm »

They're caste-level, as is CAN_CIV:

Oooh, I totally need to make a tropical based lizard creature (Iguanas, probably... or komodo dragon, maybe?) with a 1:1000 or lower ratio of a megabeast caste appearing that is size 20, bipedal, and breaths pitchblende breath...
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12492 on: February 13, 2010, 01:57:08 pm »

And another one that CAN_CIV, naturally

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #12493 on: February 13, 2010, 01:59:59 pm »

Quote from: devlog
there's apparently a bug with fevers... they never go down, even after the illness itself leaves the system

I can see it now - a dwarf gets ill so many times that he eventually bursts into flames. Spontaneous combustion is particularly Dwarfy, after all.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Master

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12494 on: February 13, 2010, 02:11:38 pm »

Enjoy!

Doesn't this happen in many many games though?

Timesplitters and Halo are two easy examples.

Not to the same scale as WWIIOnline. Although the game is defiantly not for everyone. Generally you either love it or hate it.
Pages: 1 ... 831 832 [833] 834 835 ... 1065