Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 826 827 [828] 829 830 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630969 times)

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12405 on: February 11, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »

I remember the sleeping beauty bug. When dwarves went to sleep for the first time, they never woke up and died of thirst in their beds. In every single fort. I'm surprised it wasn't discovered before release. Was it in 40a?

Toady has stated before that the reason he didn't catch this bug was that he didn't play a single fort long enough in the testing period for dwarves to go to sleep. So, with all the testing Zach is doing this time I doubt we'll see many truly gamebreaking bugs this time, if any at all.

And that's a good thing... how?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12406 on: February 11, 2010, 08:22:01 pm »

There is a difference between FUN and frustrating. Gamebreaking bugs are frustrating.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Deadbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12407 on: February 11, 2010, 08:27:06 pm »

I remember the sleeping beauty bug. When dwarves went to sleep for the first time, they never woke up and died of thirst in their beds. In every single fort. I'm surprised it wasn't discovered before release. Was it in 40a?

Toady has stated before that the reason he didn't catch this bug was that he didn't play a single fort long enough in the testing period for dwarves to go to sleep. So, with all the testing Zach is doing this time I doubt we'll see many truly gamebreaking bugs this time, if any at all.

I know, I don't get it either... it's way less fun for the rest of us.
Quote from: chmod
SEX AND HAPPINESS NOW REPORTING CORRECTLY!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12408 on: February 11, 2010, 08:33:17 pm »

I know, I don't get it either... it's way less fun for the rest of us.

There is a difference between FUN and frustrating. Gamebreaking bugs are frustrating.

I'm with Diablous. There are funny bugs that we label as 'innovative features', but gamebreaking bugs are annoying as hell and generally only funny when looking back after they've been fixed. Personally I don't plan on making a long-term fort for a little while after the update comes out so I don't lose anything big after the major bugfixes are out.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12409 on: February 11, 2010, 08:48:45 pm »

This isn't quite accurate.  The reason was that he made a last-minute change AFTER he'd done the more thorough testing.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12410 on: February 11, 2010, 09:38:44 pm »

That might be good if they wore out. You could set it to only go off if a larger enemy (Siege, with weapons and armor) comes by, or if you wanted to wack every little thing that goes past. Could work well for cages too.
So just give them the options of pressure plates?

Nope, having the game crash whenever you try to designate trees to be chopped down is exactly the same thing as all of those oh no death spirals we actually play for. The people have spoken.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #12411 on: February 11, 2010, 10:05:16 pm »

A person is smart. The People are stupid.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12412 on: February 11, 2010, 10:08:50 pm »

I'm of the opinion that any bugs are good, unless they crash the game without providing some amusement. If my dwarves fell asleep and never woke up, that would be funny. Especially because I wouldn't have put much time into that fort anyway.
However, a bug where the game crashes on the start of the 10th year would be annoying and unfunny.

Of course, Toady and Three are doing a great job testing these. It's like experiencing the bugs with none of the frustration!  ;D
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12413 on: February 11, 2010, 10:10:54 pm »

A person is smart. The People are stupid.

Damn right.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12414 on: February 11, 2010, 11:03:28 pm »

Performing surgery on the nobles because they mysteriously fall into these pits full of cats. They dislocate organs, if that's even possible, and they must be surgically placed back into position.

"Urist, you quack! You cut too deep! There's blood.. EVERYWHERE! Oh god, what an unfortunate accident that has happened here because of Urist's clumsy insertion techniques. Woe is us!"
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12415 on: February 11, 2010, 11:17:57 pm »

Will we be able to customize the appearance of our own adventurers, what with more advanced physical features being enabled?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12416 on: February 11, 2010, 11:22:13 pm »

Will we be able to customize the appearance of our own adventurers, what with more advanced physical features being enabled?

I posted this when you asked the same question yesterday:

Will we be able to customize our adventurer's appearance?

Not yet.

Quote from: wilsonns
Will be possible to edit the adventurer apperance or at least know about his apperance?

You can look at yourself and others.  Changing the appearance would be an interface to write, which isn't the end of the day.  You should certainly be able to customize yourself later on, at least in one version of the start setup (versus historical scenarios or whatever), since it's good to be able to be whatever you want to be.  It'll probably depend on prodding or just me eventually doing it.  Since you pick out where you are from first, it'll probably be constrained by the entity/race settings, with options to break convention or something.  Breaking reality (ie making a blue-skinned human) is more difficult because of how the appearance variables are indexed, and there might even be some issues there with breaking out of entity stylings, though I don't think there are.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12417 on: February 12, 2010, 12:31:45 am »

oh. lol srry about the repeat question, i have bad memory.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12418 on: February 12, 2010, 01:21:27 am »

Toady should release on April 25!
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12419 on: February 12, 2010, 03:03:19 am »

Toady should release on April 25!

::)

If he's going to shoot for any day of significance, I vote it be April 1st.  :P