Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630882 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12390 on: February 11, 2010, 02:17:23 pm »

a bug-free April
Given the history of previous releases, bug forum will be VERY active at least a year after release  ;D
Altho bugs in DF tend to be quite amusing, and losing is fun.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12391 on: February 11, 2010, 02:24:02 pm »

A bug-free relase isn't unlikely. It's impossible. Most bugs can't be discovered until a great many people are running the software. What is realistic to hope for is that the most obvious and crippling bugs are found and fixed, and that the fixes for the bugs that are missed won't break save compatibility.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12392 on: February 11, 2010, 02:29:22 pm »

A bug-free relase isn't unlikely. It's impossible. Most bugs can't be discovered until a great many people are running the software. What is realistic to hope for is that the most obvious and crippling bugs are found and fixed, and that the fixes for the bugs that are missed won't break save compatibility.

Yeah. My hope is that he'll release it once Zach can play through a game without running into any critical bugs that don't have workarounds. I mean, I remember with last release (it was just last release, right?) about half my starting seven ended up caged because of that bug that made dwarves who fell asleep on traps get trapped.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12393 on: February 11, 2010, 02:34:22 pm »

Yeah. My hope is that he'll release it once Zach can play through a game without running into any critical bugs that don't have workarounds. I mean, I remember with last release (it was just last release, right?) about half my starting seven ended up caged because of that bug that made dwarves who fell asleep on traps get trapped.

It was a 40c bug, yeah.  It should probably be reinstated, too, as punishment for players who spam traps.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12394 on: February 11, 2010, 03:53:53 pm »

I remember the sleeping beauty bug. When dwarves went to sleep for the first time, they never woke up and died of thirst in their beds. In every single fort. I'm surprised it wasn't discovered before release. Was it in 40a?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12395 on: February 11, 2010, 03:55:45 pm »

With the new release, the good bad bugs page of Tropes will get slightly larger. Most assuredly.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12396 on: February 11, 2010, 03:57:34 pm »

...punishment for players who spam traps.
Good idea!  Hmmm, are gremlins going to be able to release animals from cages etc?  That might liven things up a bit for the trapspammers

/reads dev log
/ adds "surgeon" skill to list of essential starting skills
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12397 on: February 11, 2010, 03:59:32 pm »

I'd prefer a more direct punishment for trap spammers, like the traps having a random chance of accidentally misfiring whenever a friendly passes over them.

It might need to be tweaked so as to prevent there being such a thing as a "Caged wagon" though.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12398 on: February 11, 2010, 04:00:47 pm »

When I first started playing it was the version where caravans would be affected by traps. It didn't even occur to me that it could be a bug at the time, since it just sort of made sense. It also forced me to make some very clever fortress designs if I wanted to use traps and still trade.

I kind of thing that this should be brought back.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12399 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:54 pm »

I'd like an option for "absolutely hits anyone" traps. Many uses.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12400 on: February 11, 2010, 05:32:57 pm »

Or maybe different kind of traps that have various levels of effectiveness. Some traps that will trigger only if heavily aggravated, while others will trigger at the slightest provocation.

Naes Draw

• Bay Watcher
  • She likes modding for their customizability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12401 on: February 11, 2010, 05:41:33 pm »

That might be good if they wore out. You could set it to only go off if a larger enemy (Siege, with weapons and armor) comes by, or if you wanted to wack every little thing that goes past. Could work well for cages too.
[CREATURE:CAT]
   [NAME:sena cat:sena cat:sena cat]
   [INTELLIGENT] [MISCHIEVOUS] [FEMALE]
   [PREFSTRING:craziness]
   [SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:UNCOMMON]
   [PERMITTED_JOB:MODDER]

Thor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12402 on: February 11, 2010, 05:51:37 pm »

To be honest, I regularly have unlucky starts when I completely depend on traps as my starter 7 have unfortunate accidents. It's "kinder" to the player to allow traps, even if the cages are "OP".
An experienced player has the option to not use them.
Heroes Of My World.
Astesh Delightinks the Pungent Trust of Towers

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12403 on: February 11, 2010, 07:43:20 pm »

Since the devlog showed that hospital dwarves will be diagnosed as needing to be washed with a bucket of water,

Will hospital staff correctly diagnose !!dwarf!! as a state that needs water applied?

Also,

Since sutures are 'worn' in inventory, will they be able to catch fire like clothing?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12404 on: February 11, 2010, 07:56:21 pm »

I remember the sleeping beauty bug. When dwarves went to sleep for the first time, they never woke up and died of thirst in their beds. In every single fort. I'm surprised it wasn't discovered before release. Was it in 40a?

Toady has stated before that the reason he didn't catch this bug was that he didn't play a single fort long enough in the testing period for dwarves to go to sleep. So, with all the testing Zach is doing this time I doubt we'll see many truly gamebreaking bugs this time, if any at all.
Pages: 1 ... 825 826 [827] 828 829 ... 1065