Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3630959 times)

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12375 on: February 11, 2010, 10:04:22 am »

So long as it's out before Feb 29th I'm happy to wait, and read exciting tales like Sodel, the Stab-happy Surgeon.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12376 on: February 11, 2010, 10:08:29 am »

omg u gaiz it'll be out b4 we see feb 30 lolol i r funneh laff nao.

>_>

But seriously, all the games I want are coming to PC in March. I expect this will be no different. Though sooner would be good.

Alternatively, can I just like skip the rest of February please?

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12377 on: February 11, 2010, 10:31:58 am »

I'd say at this point it's literally impossible for the next version to come out before the end of February. My prediction definitely won't be as accurate or based on facts as Totaku, but I'd say the final items in the dev list will take Toady at least 3 weeks to do. Probably closer to a month. Every day the list isn't worked on is another day that 3-4 week buffer is being pushed ahead.

Mid-March is still promising, but if we're still on bug fixes come the last week of Feb. then it's probably safe to say this will be an April release.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12378 on: February 11, 2010, 10:35:10 am »

Well, Toady does want to catch all the major gamebreaking bugs and crashes before he publishes the release.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12379 on: February 11, 2010, 10:42:03 am »

Every day the list isn't worked on is another day that 3-4 week buffer is being pushed ahead.

What do you mean by "the list isn't worked on"?  Toady's obviously doing work that falls under "Any remaining tests," he just hasn't colored it yet -- probably because he doesn't know how many more bugs will have to be fixed.  Given the vague nature of most of the "Final" items, the list just isn't going to be that informative from here on out.

But yeah, February looks unlikely.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12380 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:16 am »

Every day the list isn't worked on is another day that 3-4 week buffer is being pushed ahead.

What do you mean by "the list isn't worked on"?  Toady's obviously doing work that falls under "Any remaining tests," he just hasn't colored it yet -- probably because he doesn't know how many more bugs will have to be fixed.  Given the vague nature of most of the "Final" items, the list just isn't going to be that informative from here on out.

I don't think that's "obvious" at all, especially given the wording of that item. I would take that item to mean exactly what it says - at the end of the list, once everything else seems working, see if there are any remaining tests to be done to make sure it's working out the way it should be.

I'd say that the fact the dev list hasn't even changed in the slightest in about 2 and a half weeks is also proof of this. From what it looks like, these aren't "remaining tests", but rather, preliminary bug fixes before he tackles the final stuff. Just like how d17 was a preliminary fix before he could integrate it (and now looks like we kinda need a d18 before that happens!).

anywho, I'm definitely willing to be wrong and I hope I am - it's why I asked the question to Toady earlier on this page.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12381 on: February 11, 2010, 10:49:39 am »

oh, I dunno, it seems like he's making good progress. He's gotten medical stuff working, etc. But yeah, I'm going to tell myself march 1st and hope for a pleasant surprise.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12382 on: February 11, 2010, 10:53:27 am »

I don't think that's "obvious" at all, especially given the wording of that item. I would take that item to mean exactly what it says - at the end of the list, once everything else seems working, see if there are any remaining tests to be done to make sure it's working out the way it should be.

I'd say that the fact the dev list hasn't even changed in the slightest in about 2 and a half weeks is also proof of this. From what it looks like, these aren't "remaining tests", but rather, preliminary bug fixes before he tackles the final stuff. Just like how d17 was a preliminary fix before he could integrate it (and now looks like we kinda need a d18 before that happens!).

anywho, I'm definitely willing to be wrong and I hope I am - it's why I asked the question to Toady earlier on this page.

You mean testing how hospital zones work and fixing the bugs that show up doesn't count as "remaining tests"?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12383 on: February 11, 2010, 11:02:26 am »

omg u gaiz it'll be out b4 we see feb 30 lolol i r funneh laff nao.

That was Feb 29 2012, just to be clear.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12384 on: February 11, 2010, 11:23:40 am »

You mean testing how hospital zones work and fixing the bugs that show up doesn't count as "remaining tests"?

They might be. They're certainly tests, of course, but they seem more preliminary than final, which is what "Any remaining tests" seems to get at. I'd say that if Toady thought they fell under that category he would have colored it blue - even slightly - given he's been at it for 2 and a half weeks.

This is silly, though, and this whole argument wasn't even the point of my post. Let's say all these bug fixes are exactly what "Any Remaining Tests" is about. After that Toady still has to get to the requests (at least a week, even if he prunes them down), has to not only integrate the d# series but also fix it (at least a week) and then the Hydra/Compat issues which I'll shove together and call that at least a week as well.

So, again, every day Toady is spending bug fixing is pushing that 3 week buffer ahead. This isn't a bad thing, nor is it Toady's fault (he's doing everything 100% right), nor is it anything else negative you might construe from this post. I am only saying to temper people's beliefs we might see it before the end of February, and to give a estimated guess as to when we might see the release.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12385 on: February 11, 2010, 11:43:08 am »

I'm sure he's going to pipe in within the next few days to answer the questions and such, he will probably clear up the confusion then.

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12386 on: February 11, 2010, 12:32:33 pm »

Right-o. Not like it's a big deal anyways - no matter how many predictions we make, we're probably gonna be wrong!

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12387 on: February 11, 2010, 12:57:16 pm »

Considering the massive number of changes that have been made over the course of the year we should expect the current bug testing to be an EXTREMELY long process.  I would love a release in March (yay, unintended birthday present for me!) but honestly?  I would rather a bug-free April or even May release than a buggy early one.

However, I do think that a thoughtful and caring Toady should provide us with some Scamps birthday pictures to help tide us over.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12388 on: February 11, 2010, 01:33:49 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12389 on: February 11, 2010, 02:09:02 pm »

I will be very unhappy if my dwarves die because the dwarves attending them dump water next to them and then the game crashes and so on x 100. Toady has already well enough explained the minimum quality he will hand off to the public and I've gotten used to that expectation- if he was going to cave in during the home stretch and just throw a buggy mess into our open arms he should have done that much sooner if only to shut people up. He hasn't and at this point I'd really prefer he didn't.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 824 825 [826] 827 828 ... 1065