Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631022 times)

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12330 on: February 10, 2010, 05:48:20 pm »

He took to grave-robbing for research specimens. If there are any points where he specifically mentions that the creature was constructed from them, or animated by electricity, I may have missed them, but I remember being surprised by their absence

He says that he took the most beautiful specimens he could find (in reference to body parts) and was shocked when the monster was ugly because it was made of only beautiful parts, not to mention that he says he had discovered the formula for restoring life to dead flesh, the research was to bring back his dead mother.  Additionally, he gathered parts again for the second monster, he shouldn't have needed to conduct more research, he claims that the horrors of the knowledge haunt him and that he wishes he could forget.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12331 on: February 10, 2010, 05:49:34 pm »

Can't help but notice that Pets are items on that list, perhaps the fact that they all come out to be vermin (as of 40d) is a bug that could be fixed?

More likely it is used as distinction between tame and wild vermin, but can vermin even be tamed?

Yeah, PET is for tame vermin and VERMIN is for wild ones.  And yeah, they can be tamed.  The reason reaction-produced creatures always come out as vermin is that reactions have to produce an item, and real creatures aren't items.  It's not a bug, just a shortcoming of the current (and upcoming) reactions.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12332 on: February 10, 2010, 05:52:51 pm »

Actually, it does.  Frankenstein specifically states that he took to grave robbing for parts for both the original and the second (the one he decided against animating) and that the creation process requires a concoction of unnamed materials and liquids, along with the application of an unspecified amount of electricity.

He says this at the beginig of the book, when he says something along the lines of "I can see the wonder in your eyes, no I will not surrender the formula I used, it is a secret I will take to my grave.  Suffice to say that it was a concoction of various materials applied with a large amount of electricity."  I know that's not the exact quote, but it has the same effect (I've had to read this book about three or four different times).
I seem to recall him talking about surgically repairing deteriorated blood vessels, because that stood out as mechanically ridiculous with modern anatomy knowledge. I would guess it was far fetched but believable enough in period.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12333 on: February 10, 2010, 05:54:39 pm »

Can't help but notice that Pets are items on that list, perhaps the fact that they all come out to be vermin (as of 40d) is a bug that could be fixed?

More likely it is used as distinction between tame and wild vermin, but can vermin even be tamed?

Yeah, PET is for tame vermin and VERMIN is for wild ones.  And yeah, they can be tamed.  The reason reaction-produced creatures always come out as vermin is that reactions have to produce an item, and real creatures aren't items.  It's not a bug, just a shortcoming of the current (and upcoming) reactions.

Well, crap, looks like my clockwork shop will have to wait a few more releases then.

Any chance Toady could be working on a solution to allowing creatures to be products of reactions in a near future release?

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12334 on: February 10, 2010, 05:57:35 pm »

Actually, it does.  Frankenstein specifically states that he took to grave robbing for parts for both the original and the second (the one he decided against animating) and that the creation process requires a concoction of unnamed materials and liquids, along with the application of an unspecified amount of electricity.

He says this at the beginig of the book, when he says something along the lines of "I can see the wonder in your eyes, no I will not surrender the formula I used, it is a secret I will take to my grave.  Suffice to say that it was a concoction of various materials applied with a large amount of electricity."  I know that's not the exact quote, but it has the same effect (I've had to read this book about three or four different times).
I seem to recall him talking about surgically repairing deteriorated blood vessels, because that stood out as mechanically ridiculous with modern anatomy knowledge. I would guess it was far fetched but believable enough in period.

He also mentions how he had to connect all the nerves to the new pieces individually, one of the main reasons why he spent ten years working on the monster (his prototype) after he had believed he found the secret formula.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12335 on: February 10, 2010, 06:08:09 pm »

So, the warhammer in this next edition will be the traditional kind, the one that has a spiky bit on the other side?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12336 on: February 10, 2010, 06:29:55 pm »

And just why would it create a mad proffessor? Creating a Frankenstein's-monsterdwarf I could understand.

Try to remember, Frankenstein was the guy who made the monster, not the actual monster.

I am aware.  I have the book next to me.  Frankenstein Monsterdwarf doesn't sound as cool as Frankendwarf, however.  Urist Frankendwarf.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12337 on: February 10, 2010, 06:31:26 pm »

So, the warhammer in this next edition will be the traditional kind, the one that has a spiky bit on the other side?

Speaking of which, now that the weapons have multiple attacks, will the warhammer have such a piercing attack in addition to the blunt attack? Will DF hammers be just hammers or blunt+spike ones?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #12338 on: February 10, 2010, 06:33:53 pm »

Will dyed cloth use the RGB values defined in the color tokens, or will it still default to the closest default color?

Also, someone mentioned dyed leather. I haven't been following this thread very closely- is that something we can do now?
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12339 on: February 10, 2010, 06:54:23 pm »

He took to grave-robbing for research specimens. If there are any points where he specifically mentions that the creature was constructed from them, or animated by electricity, I may have missed them, but I remember being surprised by their absence

He says that he took the most beautiful specimens he could find (in reference to body parts) and was shocked when the monster was ugly because it was made of only beautiful parts, not to mention that he says he had discovered the formula for restoring life to dead flesh, the research was to bring back his dead mother.  Additionally, he gathered parts again for the second monster, he shouldn't have needed to conduct more research, he claims that the horrors of the knowledge haunt him and that he wishes he could forget.

A large point is made of the body parts being larger by far than those of a human's, as will be remembered from Mel Brooks and Gene Wilder's harrowing take on the subject.

EDIT: After looking through the text (in chapter four) there is the line "The dissecting room and the slaughter-house furnished many of my materials" which shows that obviously some elements from other creatures were used, although it's still unclear in what way they were used (it may be that a chemical needed to be extracted from it, or something). So I'll meet you half-way: Definately Dr Frankenstein needed something from the bodies of the dead, but I think the popular view of the creature being stitched together out of limbs and innards fresh from the morgue isn't at all accurate.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2010, 07:02:35 pm by Lancensis »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12340 on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:20 pm »

And thus since the story of Frankenstein every evil genius has a German surname f.e. Frankenfurter (rocky horror picture show), Dr. Seltsam (dr. Strangelove),  Wulfenbach (girl Genius) etc. Und so weiter und so fort.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12341 on: February 10, 2010, 07:00:51 pm »

Will surgery and the other medical skills only be useful inside of "hospital workshops" or whatever they'll be called? Or will we have (to worry about) dwarf medics running around in battles? 
For they would be your masters.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12342 on: February 10, 2010, 07:06:22 pm »

Will we be able to customize our adventurer's appearance?
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #12343 on: February 10, 2010, 07:07:44 pm »

Speaking of which, now that the weapons have multiple attacks, will the warhammer have such a piercing attack in addition to the blunt attack? Will DF hammers be just hammers or blunt+spike ones?

Just blunt, probably partly because the next version will be set up to use sharp attacks far more often then blunt ones.  Here's the raw entry for it:

Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_HAMMER_WAR]
[NAME:war hammer:war hammers]
[WEIGHT:40]
[SKILL:HAMMER]
[TWO_HANDED:37500]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:32500]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:3]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:200:200:bash:bashes:NO_SUB:2000]
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12344 on: February 10, 2010, 07:19:22 pm »

Then I will mod in a sharp attack! I need the traditional warhammer! :D
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
Pages: 1 ... 821 822 [823] 824 825 ... 1065