Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631155 times)

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12315 on: February 10, 2010, 04:02:40 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I just have to say that almost made me squirt coffee out my nose...
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Lord Braindead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: February 10, 2010, 04:45:02 pm »

After reading this I have the strong urge to build some cage traps and train my doctors surgery skill by dissecting everything that i can squeeze in a cage. Medical experiments on animals gobbos animals are far bether than risking some loony cutting off the limbs of my champions.

Urist McMengele aborted dissecting living elf: cackling madly.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: February 10, 2010, 04:52:10 pm »

Hmmm well we have the job "Catch live animal" or somthing like that on the kennels iirc so we could maybe use living animals and Slaves invaders for "examine living animal" in our custom shop.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: February 10, 2010, 04:56:41 pm »

Hmmm well we have the job "Catch live animal" or somthing like that on the kennels iirc so we could maybe use living animals and Slaves invaders for "examine living animal" in our custom shop.

Nope, as has been stated a bunch of times, you can't use living non-vermin creatures as a reagent.  The reason it works for corpses is because they're items, not creatures.

Dekon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: February 10, 2010, 05:01:08 pm »

Maybe one possible action of a 'mood' doctor dwarf would be the resurrection of a dead dwarf.

Perhaps a dwarf in a particular bad mood at the time a 'mood' strikes could create a Frankendwarf.

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: February 10, 2010, 05:06:11 pm »

Nope, as has been stated a bunch of times, you can't use living non-vermin creatures as a reagent.  The reason it works for corpses is because they're items, not creatures.

Not that I doubt you, but could you point me to where this has been stated by Today, and did he mention anything about live creatures being the products of a custom reaction?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12321 on: February 10, 2010, 05:06:49 pm »

Maybe one possible action of a 'mood' doctor dwarf would be the resurrection of a dead dwarf.

Perhaps a dwarf in a particular bad mood at the time a 'mood' strikes could create a Frankendwarf.

Probably won't happen in the next version, but Frankendwarf needs to happen one day.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: February 10, 2010, 05:07:01 pm »

And just why would it create a mad proffessor? Creating a Frankenstein's-monsterdwarf I could understand.

Try to remember, Frankenstein was the guy who made the monster, not the actual monster.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: February 10, 2010, 05:12:57 pm »

Try to remember, Frankenstein was the guy who made the monster, not the actual monster.

Part of me wants to start this argument, but I know where it will lead.

Divinebeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: February 10, 2010, 05:18:53 pm »

In creating the monster; he became the monster!

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12325 on: February 10, 2010, 05:24:29 pm »

Nah. I'm going to be good. I will point out, however, that never in the book does it state that the creature was created from dead bodyparts, or animated by electricity of any description (although it heavily hints at the latter)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12326 on: February 10, 2010, 05:32:15 pm »

Not that I doubt you, but could you point me to where this has been stated by Today, and did he mention anything about live creatures being the products of a custom reaction?

Best quote I can find:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Poltifar
Will we be able to smelt creatures in the smelter (or any other workshop) in this release?

Nope.  That'll take a significant job handling rewrite.

I think he's talking about using creatures as reagents there -- the "job handling rewrite" is stuff like getting a dwarf to lead a creature to the building.  That wouldn't be a problem if you were producing a creature, and the game does have functions for generating creatures out of thin air, but there's still the obstacle of the reaction's item/material syntax, which only allows you to produce actual items (vermin are items, oddly enough).

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12327 on: February 10, 2010, 05:33:38 pm »

Nah. I'm going to be good. I will point out, however, that never in the book does it state that the creature was created from dead bodyparts, or animated by electricity of any description (although it heavily hints at the latter)

Actually, it does.  Frankenstein specifically states that he took to grave robbing for parts for both the original and the second (the one he decided against animating) and that the creation process requires a concoction of unnamed materials and liquids, along with the application of an unspecified amount of electricity.

He says this at the beginig of the book, when he says something along the lines of "I can see the wonder in your eyes, no I will not surrender the formula I used, it is a secret I will take to my grave.  Suffice to say that it was a concoction of various materials applied with a large amount of electricity."  I know that's not the exact quote, but it has the same effect (I've had to read this book about three or four different times).

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12328 on: February 10, 2010, 05:39:33 pm »

He took to grave-robbing for research specimens. If there are any points where he specifically mentions that the creature was constructed from them, or animated by electricity, I may have missed them, but I remember being surprised by their absence

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12329 on: February 10, 2010, 05:40:07 pm »

Best quote I can find:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: Poltifar
Will we be able to smelt creatures in the smelter (or any other workshop) in this release?

Nope.  That'll take a significant job handling rewrite.

I think he's talking about using creatures as reagents there -- the "job handling rewrite" is stuff like getting a dwarf to lead a creature to the building.  That wouldn't be a problem if you were producing a creature, and the game does have functions for generating creatures out of thin air, but there's still the obstacle of the reaction's item/material syntax, which only allows you to produce actual items (vermin are items, oddly enough).

Can't help but notice that Pets are items on that list, perhaps the fact that they all come out to be vermin (as of 40d) is a bug that could be fixed?

More likely it is used as distinction between tame and wild vermin, but can vermin even be tamed?
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 1065