Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631280 times)

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12225 on: February 09, 2010, 08:50:24 pm »

did i read that right?
The philosopher is gone?
I will miss him.  I never knew where he was or what he was doing but I liked knowing he was somewhere doing it.

I choose to believe that he was trying to communicate with rocks, and that he was successful.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12226 on: February 09, 2010, 09:04:44 pm »

did i read that right?
The philosopher is gone?
I will miss him.  I never knew where he was or what he was doing but I liked knowing he was somewhere doing it.

The philosopher went out to look for pants.  Considering that nobody really makes clothes, it'll take him a while.

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12227 on: February 09, 2010, 09:18:49 pm »

...or pondering the implications of conservation of mass/energy in relation to the fortress...

"if i heat my beer there is more of it?"

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12228 on: February 09, 2010, 10:11:57 pm »

holy shit--is it possible to have growing hostiles? like the orks in 40k, they die and leave spoors which grow like trees but once full grown they become hostile roaming entitys? That would be so badass if their spoors spread all over so if you dident pay attention your mining tunnels could grow hundreds of hostile plant-things.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12229 on: February 09, 2010, 10:23:08 pm »

holy shit--is it possible to have growing hostiles? like the orks in 40k, they die and leave spoors which grow like trees but once full grown they become hostile roaming entitys? That would be so badass if their spoors spread all over so if you dident pay attention your mining tunnels could grow hundreds of hostile plant-things.

It's possible for a full-sized creature to spawn one (1) vermin upon death.  That's it.

Mr. Wallet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12230 on: February 09, 2010, 10:25:17 pm »

Someone probably already posted this, but...
There was an accident during the well digging, and a couple of dwarves drowned, but the well worked out in the end.
All's well that ends well!

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12231 on: February 09, 2010, 10:52:19 pm »

Mr wallet, you are the leader of my people.

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12232 on: February 09, 2010, 11:30:51 pm »

I have a feeling this was asked before, but I can't find it. Will we be able to order our dwarves to make specific statues, or is the former game's illusion of obsidian statues of dwarves solemnly lining the burial chamber giving way to a random assortment of donkeys, cheese, and about 12 statues of two triangles?
Also, will we see statues depicting events (that would be a little weird), as engravings do, or will it just be objects and people?
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12233 on: February 09, 2010, 11:42:12 pm »

I have a feeling this was asked before, but I can't find it. Will we be able to order our dwarves to make specific statues, or is the former game's illusion of obsidian statues of dwarves solemnly lining the burial chamber giving way to a random assortment of donkeys, cheese, and about 12 statues of two triangles?
Also, will we see statues depicting events (that would be a little weird), as engravings do, or will it just be objects and people?

Actually, I think a statue of a dwarf striking down some demon warlord would be just about the coolest thing you could ever get a statue of.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12234 on: February 09, 2010, 11:43:10 pm »

You won't be able to commission specific statues, but statues are movable, so if you don't want the donkey statues in the tomb, you could always put different ones there instead. In that sense, it's at least better than engraving.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12235 on: February 10, 2010, 12:11:14 am »

You won't be able to commission specific statues, but statues are movable, so if you don't want the donkey statues in the tomb, you could always put different ones there instead. In that sense, it's at least better than engraving.

Although that is true, there should be some limitations as to the statues appearance. I agree that "two triangles" isn't the most creative thing in the world (and the style is "modern art" which is clearly post 1400s), but some things that end up on engravings are somewhat plausible to them.

seigenblues

• Bay Watcher
  • bamf!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12236 on: February 10, 2010, 12:14:03 am »

...which means you will have about 500 statues of triangles, cheeses, donkeys, and that shitty artifact leather thong littering your courtyards so that you could get 10 -statues- of dwarves for your mausoleum.

the beat goes on, i guess?  Something to be said for leaving things to the imagination, lest we demand control of our newfound specificity.

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12237 on: February 10, 2010, 12:31:55 am »

Yes, but at least you're sure to have magma to toss all the cheese statues into to get rid of 'em.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12238 on: February 10, 2010, 12:33:02 am »

I figure the -statues- would be more like ☼statues☼, and be a higher percent of dwarves. You can also just smash the rejects out of existence, or something more imaginative.

Well if we had something along the lines of morpha they could leave the water without leaving it.
Y'what? Is that like the Poolmobile from The Simpsons?

Morpha: Giant Aquatic Amoeba. It's a creature from Ocarina of Time that consists of a whole load of water with a mobile, fleshy nucleus. The creature itself is the nucleus, that takes control of water. So in gameplay terms it would be a creature that could take a 7/7 water, eight 4/7 waters, and 16 3/7 waters with it wherever it went, and use that water to restrain and drown people (until they attacked the creature itself).
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12239 on: February 10, 2010, 12:45:03 am »

I figure the -statues- would be more like ☼statues☼, and be a higher percent of dwarves. You can also just smash the rejects out of existence, or something more imaginative.

Well if we had something along the lines of morpha they could leave the water without leaving it.
Y'what? Is that like the Poolmobile from The Simpsons?

Morpha: Giant Aquatic Amoeba. It's a creature from Ocarina of Time that consists of a whole load of water with a mobile, fleshy nucleus. The creature itself is the nucleus, that takes control of water. So in gameplay terms it would be a creature that could take a 7/7 water, eight 4/7 waters, and 16 3/7 waters with it wherever it went, and use that water to restrain and drown people (until they attacked the creature itself).
Though in this case I was thinking a megabeast might tuck it away in some armpit or whatever and use the morpha to swim about more freely.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 ... 814 815 [816] 817 818 ... 1065