Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631299 times)

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12210 on: February 09, 2010, 05:51:15 pm »

I'm sure this gets asked every 100 pages or so, but what exactly is the 'Hydra Test'?

Will we finally get a Hydra that doesn't die with a single (very likely) headshot? Or is this a wide-band gameplay test with an interesting name?

It is to see if Hydra don't instantly die because of one decapitation since they have multiple heads. And if they leave behind the proper amount of skulls.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12211 on: February 09, 2010, 05:54:41 pm »

I'm sure this gets asked every 100 pages or so, but what exactly is the 'Hydra Test'?

Will we finally get a Hydra that doesn't die with a single (very likely) headshot?

That's part of it, yeah:

Quote from: Untelligent
Speaking of hydras, with the body and tissues revamp, will the hydras (ideally) drop the correct amount of skulls?

Ideally, yeah.  This is part of the hydra test.  Corpse pieces track an assload of additional information, so it should all be much more effective now.

I always assumed the Hydra test was to see if the Hydra would survive having a head severed (Ignoring possible death by blood loss.)

Oh, that's part of the hydra test too.  Testing knockouts/stuns too.  Basically every complaint I've ever noted down that's been leveled against the poor creature.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12212 on: February 09, 2010, 05:55:47 pm »

Well Iirc the game needs a way to appoint nobles by itself if you arent able or willing to do that so the king/queen has to do it.

Appointing a Noble by yourself needs a good part of civ-interaction to get the kings reaction to changing the status of the fort etc. if it for example declares "Urist Atachedtopants" as king of the new found Mountain home/Civ of "Cave-lake the pillars of middle".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12213 on: February 09, 2010, 06:11:42 pm »

is it going to be possible to make bone maces and add teeth to them in order to increase damage. such as saberteeth?

and

if teeth can be made into weapons will you add a new weapon? such as knuckle claws. and a new class name for those users? e.g. skirmishers
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12214 on: February 09, 2010, 06:18:46 pm »

In Adventure mode, will we ever be able to specify which natural attack, say a kick instead of a punch, or a slam, would we use? Also, can we actively target body parts of enemies, a la wrestling, but with weapons?

Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12215 on: February 09, 2010, 06:35:40 pm »

One other far more difficult solution is to pour magma into the hole so it melts the stone, and then pump the magma out, but that's holy jesus lots of work since you can't carry magma in a bucket :)
That leaves invisible glob of stone. Expe't cancelled cleaning jobs.
This is faintly connected to moat issue: Your moat eventually fills with all kinds of stuff (bolts, suidical dwarven babies, etc). There are very little options to retrieve items from bottom. No ledendary swimmer will just dive for that masterwork bolt, no fisherdwarf will try to fish for shoes.

You have to pump water out, carve ramps and let dwarves clean it up. Not really good option. And while 'H'ide option is always there, i know it is still there, my dwarves still know it is there. My cat stares at me judgementally.

That's why I only use MagmaMoats ™.
Iron/steel/adamant bolts/arrows/haplessequipments will still be there.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12216 on: February 09, 2010, 06:40:50 pm »

still not out yet

Check back in 20 minutes. Maybe it will be then.
An aquatic megabeast doesn't seem very likely, since they're roamers. But semimegabeasts are usually sedentary and since there'll be water in the cave systems, you could well have cave krakkens or leviathans.

Don't forget, we're suppoused to have huge UG lakes, so an aquatic megabeast can still roam inside a huge UG lake that goes off your embark site. Should I mention that maroon furred shrimp titan that Toady said about when he was talking about megabeasts months ago, it was around the same time the round shelled blob was mentioned.

Eh. I still don't expect fully aquatic megabeasts - I think they'd be too limited in their movements and the defining feature of a megabeast is its ability to seek out and invade fortresses. Of course it's pretty irrelevant since that monster in dev could just be an amphibious megabeast. I don't think Toady mentioned adding any more, other than the spoilereds, but it's exactly the kind of thing he'd do and then not mention it...
Well if we had something along the lines of morpha they could leave the water without leaving it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
guys, this has been sent to the physics thread.

With regard to nobles:

In the upcoming release, I thought/heard that the player was going to make the monarch's choice as to which dwarf should become baron or count or duke and so on. But the raws have them as [APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH]. If this in fact means that the player picks them, what does that say about the liaison also having the [APPOINTED_BY:MONARCH] tag?

Also, I know Toady said that by going into the raws, the Dungeon Master was going to lose all the personality/preference in-jokes, but does [MENIAL_WORK_EXEMPTION] mean the Dungeon Master is no longer going to tame, smelt, metalcraft, etc? (It has the TAME_EXOTICS tag, but I'm pretty sure that just means what it currently does: his presence allows you to tame exotics.)

Also. The expedition leader is not [ELECTED], whereas the mayor is. What if the expedition leader dies? Does it default to a certain dwarf? The current version uses the phrase 'chosen to be expedition leader', but I'm not sure about the actual underlying mechanism there.
He could have just made the tame exotics tag cause the only wearing cloaks and activation of those jobs stuffs :<

is it going to be possible to make bone maces and add teeth to them in order to increase damage. such as saberteeth?

and

if teeth can be made into weapons will you add a new weapon? such as knuckle claws. and a new class name for those users? e.g. skirmishers
No.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12217 on: February 09, 2010, 06:58:38 pm »

Well if we had something along the lines of morpha they could leave the water without leaving it.
Y'what? Is that like the Poolmobile from The Simpsons?

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12218 on: February 09, 2010, 07:07:02 pm »

I think he means a being similiar to the water-men somewhere on the last pages that is at anytime linket to the water by some sort of chain-like bodypart.

My guess are "moria-entrance" like tentackles that shot out of the water and grabed the poor dwarf. The dwarf lost his wrestling checks and was drowned. Also that would mean another installment of "naughty tentacles" man the guys on tv-tropes will have a giant pile of work to do to update the DF-article.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12219 on: February 09, 2010, 07:08:48 pm »

and

No.

To expand a little -- you'll be able to make passable bone maces with a little modding, but sticking teeth on them won't work well unless/until Toady implements a real item component system in some future release.  No new weapons have been added (check the spoilered section at the bottom), nor new weapon skills or weapon-linked unit types.

In Adventure mode, will we ever be able to specify which natural attack, say a kick instead of a punch, or a slam, would we use? Also, can we actively target body parts of enemies, a la wrestling, but with weapons?

You can't do either of those in the next version, but yes, those are both shoo-in features for the Combat Arc.  The second one has its own dev item:

# Req230, AIMED SHOTS AND BODYPART SIZES, (Future): Should be able to aim at parts, AI should do it too, body parts currently have relative sizes but it should depend on the creature rather than just the part type.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 07:11:08 pm by Footkerchief »

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12220 on: February 09, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »

Who says it's solid lichen?  A werewolf is half man, and half wolf.  Therefore, a werelichen, would be half man, half lichen.  (Or if you prefer, half man, half fungus, half algae.  That's an extra 50% right there, so already this monster sounds pretty deadly)

Orks from Warhammer 40K come to mind. In the current iteration of the story (they've been retconned a lot) they are hatched from pods which grow from spores. They are incredibly resilient because of their algal DNA that lets them just reattach a severed limb and it will grow back and function perfectly. It doesn't even have to be their own.

The only way to get rid of them completely (since they spread spores all the time) is by fire.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12221 on: February 09, 2010, 07:13:01 pm »

One other far more difficult solution is to pour magma into the hole so it melts the stone, and then pump the magma out, but that's holy jesus lots of work since you can't carry magma in a bucket :)
That leaves invisible glob of stone. Expe't cancelled cleaning jobs.

The stone globs only go invisible if the magma flows and pushes them... fill the moat fast enough and all flow will cease by the time the stone melts; then you just have to wait to the change in seasons for he globs to auto clean... except I believe the seasonal auto clean is being removed in the new version... so I hope something will have been done to fix/deal with the lingering melted stone globs.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

jpwrunyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12222 on: February 09, 2010, 08:25:15 pm »

did i read that right?
The philosopher is gone?
I will miss him.  I never knew where he was or what he was doing but I liked knowing he was somewhere doing it.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12223 on: February 09, 2010, 08:26:31 pm »

did i read that right?
The philosopher is gone?
I will miss him.  I never knew where he was or what he was doing but I liked knowing he was somewhere doing it.
Yep. Never managed to get a fort to the point where he would come. Can still try I guees. Current version isn't going anywhere.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12224 on: February 09, 2010, 08:31:44 pm »

did i read that right?
The philosopher is gone?

Collecting totems if mine were any indication. I had one manage to fill a 5x5 room entirely with them. Probably had a few stashed under the bed, as well.
Pages: 1 ... 813 814 [815] 816 817 ... 1065