Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631267 times)

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12180 on: February 09, 2010, 01:48:11 pm »

Dude, that's on Dwarvenly.
A real dwarf will just use magma.  Enriched with explodium.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12181 on: February 09, 2010, 02:20:40 pm »

still not out yet
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12182 on: February 09, 2010, 02:40:39 pm »

still not out yet

day 100, still not out yet, Toady celebrating Scamps's birthday, Sam will kill him if he tries anything.

In serious, though, I think I read the dev logs as much for scamps updates as to find out what's been done towards the next version.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12183 on: February 09, 2010, 02:41:15 pm »

so I take it there won't be underground civs by default..

who's to say though, that considering the underground is technically a separate Biome now, that we can't mod in a civilization with it's [PREFERRED_BIOME] set to [UNDERGROUND]? would this be possible, or does the underground work differently than other Biome tags?

if functioning civs existed underground (drow, deep dwarves, or ilithids, for example) I assume they'd have wars just like surface societies, thus destroying enemy towns and creating those underground ruins everybody wants.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12184 on: February 09, 2010, 02:42:23 pm »

still not out yet

Check back in 20 minutes. Maybe it will be then.
An aquatic megabeast doesn't seem very likely, since they're roamers. But semimegabeasts are usually sedentary and since there'll be water in the cave systems, you could well have cave krakkens or leviathans.

Don't forget, we're suppoused to have huge UG lakes, so an aquatic megabeast can still roam inside a huge UG lake that goes off your embark site. Should I mention that maroon furred shrimp titan that Toady said about when he was talking about megabeasts months ago, it was around the same time the round shelled blob was mentioned.

Eh. I still don't expect fully aquatic megabeasts - I think they'd be too limited in their movements and the defining feature of a megabeast is its ability to seek out and invade fortresses. Of course it's pretty irrelevant since that monster in dev could just be an amphibious megabeast. I don't think Toady mentioned adding any more, other than the spoilereds, but it's exactly the kind of thing he'd do and then not mention it...

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12185 on: February 09, 2010, 02:43:45 pm »

Has Toady ever said anything about the new site finder? I believe it has been asked on her at least once.
I didn't see any answers to this on the last four pages so:
When last asked, Toady said that he had removed items which no longer existed from the site finder, but it was otherwise unchanged. Since I don't believe he has added anything site-dependent since then, I doubt that has changed.

Unrelated question in spoiler:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT:
The kiln was busted, and now it's not.
Kiln?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:52:06 pm by Cruxador »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12186 on: February 09, 2010, 02:59:18 pm »

so I take it there won't be underground civs by default..

who's to say though, that considering the underground is technically a separate Biome now, that we can't mod in a civilization with it's [PREFERRED_BIOME] set to [UNDERGROUND]? would this be possible, or does the underground work differently than other Biome tags?

No, the underground animal peoples have primitive civilizations down there.  If you got that impression from what I said about "advanced underground civilizations," I said "advanced" as a contrast to the animal peoples, who don't build anything that would survive as ruins.  Here are some more details about them.  To answer your specific question, the underground-ness of a civ is controlled by the LAYER_LINKED entity flag.

The underground animals are linked to a "cave layer region."  The quasi-civilized ones occupy sort of a middle ground between animals and aboveground civilizations -- unlike animals, they can repopulate, but they're still confined to a cave layer region, and they don't have the automatic historical figure status of the aboveground civs, so unless they make a name for themselves they'll be drawn from an abstract population.

Kiln?

It's a building in the current version?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:03:38 pm by Footkerchief »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12187 on: February 09, 2010, 03:18:10 pm »

The underground animals are linked to a "cave layer region."  The quasi-civilized ones occupy sort of a middle ground between animals and aboveground civilizations -- unlike animals, they can repopulate, but they're still confined to a cave layer region, and they don't have the automatic historical figure status of the aboveground civs, so unless they make a name for themselves they'll be drawn from an abstract population.
When you say "an abstract population", you mean the one tied to biome, like all normal animals, right? Still doesn't necessarily mean anything pertaining to
Kiln?

It's a building in the current version?
Oh. Slipped my mind; I was thinking in terms of pottery. I'd forgotten about that one step for the more decadent forms of glass.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:31:00 pm by Cruxador »

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12188 on: February 09, 2010, 03:24:47 pm »

Infinitesimal or not, if it's greater and not equal, it's more mass.

Oh stop quibbling. You don't seem to understand just how infinitessimal it is. It's such a small amount of mass that other contributing factors such as atmospheric pressure and moisture, which fluctuate on their own, alter the perceived mass of an object by several orders of magnitude more than any amount of mass gained from energy. Unless science has advanced in this regard since I was in college, I'm pretty sure you would need special equipment operating in a vacuum bell to isolate the change in mass caused by the addition of energy to a mass. :O
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #12189 on: February 09, 2010, 03:25:30 pm »

Speaking of mass...

Zach also found some pigtail trousers that weigh twice as much as a bin of pigtail cloth.

The newest in dwarf fashion: Heavy Pants.  :D

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12190 on: February 09, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »

Wait, does temperature itself even ever contribute mass?
As far as I know, no it doesn't. energy and matter are the same, butI believe that it's more like thinking of matter as a super-efficient battery. The energy we are used to dealing with(heat, light, etc.) is in a completely different form, and doesn't create mass with it's very presence.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12191 on: February 09, 2010, 03:39:13 pm »

One paradox of dwarven construction is that there is no way to make a 1x1x1 pit AND remove the stone from it without connecting it to the outside of the pit. This is a very simple case description for a problem relating to rope ladders; you can't go down a hole, get something, and get out of the hole.

Since the current rope ladder solution is to allow a stairway to be built from the top down (currently impossible: attempting to place a Down Stair above empty space results in a "blocked" message) I wonder if this paradox is now solved. However, it seems the only way would be to make the stairs out of water so the ice stone melts after the up stair is removed, since the stone will fall back into the hole.

Why do I care so much about this? I don't believe in the (H)ide tool, I know the stone is still there and so do my dwarves. One other far more difficult solution is to pour magma into the hole so it melts the stone, and then pump the magma out, but that's holy jesus lots of work since you can't carry magma in a bucket :)

Alright, now the digest version in green text for toady. Since rope ladders are out for now, is there any removable and recoverable way of getting a dwarf down into a hole and back out again?
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #12192 on: February 09, 2010, 03:46:59 pm »

Quote from: Rainseeker
Can we assign ANYTHING, including non-weapons to be a weapon for our military?

Nah, it just lets you do weapon items, and it assumes armor items you add are for armor.  I guess it's not impossible to tell people to whip other people with trousers instead of wearing them, but your dwarves should probably question your judgement at that point.

This sounds suspiciously like waterboarding....

In any case, the question is:

Would the trousers that you are whipping somebody with do damage according to what it was made of, for instance adamantine trousers versus pig tail trousers?

This is a very important distinction and game balance hangs in the very "seat" of this quesiton.  ;)

Also...

At what point do the dwarves begin questioning your sanity as a leader?
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12193 on: February 09, 2010, 03:54:56 pm »

When you say "an abstract population", you mean the one tied to biome, like all normal animals, right? Still doesn't necessarily mean anything pertaining to

Animal populations are tied to a region, which isn't quite the same as a biome (or what DF calls a biome).  Underground animal and animal-person populations are also tied to regions -- in this case, cave layer regions, some of which will definitely include multiple biomes.

Since rope ladders are out for now, is there any removable and recoverable way of getting a dwarf down into a hole and back out again?

"For rope ladders/etc., I didn't want to tackle the two big issues there (pathing and multi-z buildings), so I went ahead with the quick fix, which is allowing you to build stairs most places, including down into an open area. When I get around to the proper solution, that ability will likely be removed. "

Would the trousers that you are whipping somebody with do damage according to what it was made of, for instance adamantine trousers versus pig tail trousers?

Yes, but nonweapon items will default to blunt damage and (presumably) crappy velocity multipliers and contact area, so adamantine trousers will probably suck even worse than an adamantine hammer.  Steel greaves might do some damage, though.

At what point do the dwarves begin questioning your sanity as a leader?

Probably just like the current version: they follow orders unless they're miserable/insane, in which case they ignore you.  Not much middle ground yet.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 04:00:03 pm by Footkerchief »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #12194 on: February 09, 2010, 04:00:39 pm »

One paradox of dwarven construction is that there is no way to make a 1x1x1 pit AND remove the stone from it without connecting it to the outside of the pit. This is a very simple case description for a problem relating to rope ladders; you can't go down a hole, get something, and get out of the hole.

This is faintly connected to moat issue: Your moat eventually fills with all kinds of stuff (bolts, suidical dwarven babies, etc). There are very little options to retrieve items from bottom. No ledendary swimmer will just dive for that masterwork bolt, no fisherdwarf will try to fish for shoes.

You have to pump water out, carve ramps and let dwarves clean it up. Not really good option. And while 'H'ide option is always there, i know it is still there, my dwarves still know it is there. My cat stares at me judgementally.
Pages: 1 ... 811 812 [813] 814 815 ... 1065