Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631409 times)

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12165 on: February 09, 2010, 06:56:34 am »

I remember Toady mentioning something about a forgotten underground temple, I'm not sure if he has added it though. So here's my question:

Will we have other, special things underground in addition to the three cavern layers and possible new HFS? Stuff like treasure, forgotten cities etc?
All of that qualifies a potential hidden fun stuff. Even if it's there I'm pretty sure Toady won't reveal it beforehand.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12166 on: February 09, 2010, 07:15:58 am »

I have a question.

Will it ever be possible to do missions where you don't kill your mark, but bring them in to your employer. It would be cool if you could even be a childsnatcher! :D Imagine bringing around a rope and cuffs, hunting for the goblin raised dorf Urist the Kid, wanted in over 40 civs for murder, babysnatching and general evil-ness! That would be fun.
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12167 on: February 09, 2010, 07:18:36 am »

I remember Toady mentioning something about a forgotten underground temple, I'm not sure if he has added it though. So here's my question:

Will we have other, special things underground in addition to the three cavern layers and possible new HFS? Stuff like treasure, forgotten cities etc?
All of that qualifies a potential hidden fun stuff. Even if it's there I'm pretty sure Toady won't reveal it beforehand.
And shouldn't. People don't spoiler things and earlier
Spoiler: NewVersionSpoiler (click to show/hide)
were spoilt for me.
Meh.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12168 on: February 09, 2010, 09:36:42 am »

I have a question.

Will it ever be possible to do missions where you don't kill your mark, but bring them in to your employer. It would be cool if you could even be a childsnatcher! :D Imagine bringing around a rope and cuffs, hunting for the goblin raised dorf Urist the Kid, wanted in over 40 civs for murder, babysnatching and general evil-ness! That would be fun.

Yes, there are some dev goals about bounty hunting etc, and we might even see such quests in the near future, since as quests go it's straightforward to implement:

# PowerGoal101, SHAVED EVIL, (Future): Venturing to the evil town of Blackport on the Sea of Annihilation, you call forth the Lord of Darkness. You have his pet ratman, which you have shaved. The ratman takes a few steps and turns to you. You hold up your knife. The ratman holds its hands over its head and scampers to its master.

It's come up a couple times, and the message has been that it's something that's going in later, hopefully with good reasons for it to be there (e.g. an advanced underground civilization):

Quote from: DF Talk 3 transcript
Toady:   That's the kind of thing where we're eventually going to need to bring in some more of this fantasy crap, right like utter crap, like 'here's a big buried underground temple with some ghosts and stuff and it's got golden swords and giant chests' and it's just there. It would be preferable to have reasons for it to be there but there are plenty of reasons you can come up with, right? So it's not like it's breaking the fact that we have this holistic world thing going on if we throw in some crap, as long as the crap has a reason to be there; and it would make it more fun to dig underground. But right now it still has a sort of naturalistic type of feel to it where there's ... it's like new biomes and things; there's not a lot of super-weird - unless you count a [CENSORED FOR SPOILERS] as super weird, which you probably should - there's not a lot of super-weird stuff down there in terms of forgotten civilised stuff. We're not against that by any means, it's just harder to add.

I don't think it's crucial to have dungeon-type locations that are left behind with level-graded treasures scattered properly or something like that (the pyramid ruins were like that -- it hid the best stuff deeper in).  If there are dungeons, they'd be either abandoned or occupied, created in world gen or during play by the sort of critters that would have a dungeon (like a dwarf fortress).  Game-wise, it would certainly be better to have the old 3D zombie ruins from before than nothing, but hopefully we can do better than that.  Ideally, every explorable adventure location that you find would have a real reason for being there, linked in with the world history and everything else.  There are plenty of ways for that to still involve interesting things to find laying around, though places that would have been looted by whoever sacked them and so on should probably be looted.

Quote from: skaltum
will adv mode zombie ruins return?

Zombie ruins are fun, I just need them to come up for some reason.  Which isn't so hard.  But I haven't done it yet.  There's a core item for it if I remember.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12169 on: February 09, 2010, 09:57:12 am »

Quote from: devlog
carp-like from the top of moat by a gigantic beast.

Hmm, giant mutant cave carp, an aquatic megabeast, or something new entirely?

LOL on the shaved ratman though.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12170 on: February 09, 2010, 10:18:25 am »

An aquatic megabeast doesn't seem very likely, since they're roamers. But semimegabeasts are usually sedentary and since there'll be water in the cave systems, you could well have cave krakkens or leviathans.

I wonder what yesterdays "fun new things down below" was. Hopefully a tar pit...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12171 on: February 09, 2010, 10:27:34 am »

I've faced a type of aquatic megabeast before. Imagine a river bent in a circular way to completly surrond your starting area, now imagine it being filled with over 100 carp, now imagine the carp are zombies.....I didn't last long enough to get a wall up  :'(

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12172 on: February 09, 2010, 11:13:11 am »

[UNDER_PRESSURE] is only on the guts though, so the distinction will only matter for mods at this point.  Any pop-out will currently cause the two '~' to follow you around, even if the modded part is small.

It should also cause you to be followed around by a rockin' bassline.

Ice, ice, b...  wait...
I see what you did there.  :D
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12173 on: February 09, 2010, 11:34:49 am »

Nitpicking ahoy! (spoilered for off-topicness)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Further nitpicking.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You didn't do any math to show what fraction of that energy actually becomes mass though. We only get significant contributions to mass in conditions like moving 90% of the speed of light (in which case we're getting mass instead of velocity changes.)

Wait, does temperature itself even ever contribute mass?

I've faced a type of aquatic megabeast before. Imagine a river bent in a circular way to completly surrond your starting area, now imagine it being filled with over 100 carp, now imagine the carp are zombies.....I didn't last long enough to get a wall up  :'(
That's just some difficult FUN, not really that megabeastly.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12174 on: February 09, 2010, 11:37:36 am »

I think it's amusing that people are talking about something as absurdly precise as mass fluctuation through temperature, yet are completely ignoring the fact that the same substance tends to have different densities in liquid and solid phases anyway. Sometimes significantly.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12175 on: February 09, 2010, 11:51:43 am »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=47532.msg1021986#msg1021986 Moved
I for one welcome our new aquatic cave-dwelling *semimegabeast liver roasts*
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12176 on: February 09, 2010, 12:14:04 pm »

An aquatic megabeast doesn't seem very likely, since they're roamers. But semimegabeasts are usually sedentary and since there'll be water in the cave systems, you could well have cave krakkens or leviathans.

Don't forget, we're suppoused to have huge UG lakes, so an aquatic megabeast can still roam inside a huge UG lake that goes off your embark site. Should I mention that maroon furred shrimp titan that Toady said about when he was talking about megabeasts months ago, it was around the same time the round shelled blob was mentioned.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12177 on: February 09, 2010, 12:19:06 pm »

Happy birthday scamps!  ;D
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #12178 on: February 09, 2010, 12:20:26 pm »

I think it's amusing that people are talking about something as absurdly precise as mass fluctuation through temperature, yet are completely ignoring the fact that the same substance tends to have different densities in liquid and solid phases anyway. Sometimes significantly.
No, what's amusing is the fact that there's a discussion of how mass-energy relativity applies to a game set in fantasy world.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12179 on: February 09, 2010, 12:22:49 pm »

Hey now, it would if dwarven alchemists started enriching uranium and giving it to the mechanics for their new detonation mechanisms. :P
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 810 811 [812] 813 814 ... 1065