Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631331 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12150 on: February 09, 2010, 01:39:36 am »

I think were-moss and lichen (lichenthropy?) would have an interesting effect gameplay-wise because of how moss slowly appears on constructions.  Imagine: you have the rare fort which has outlasted many catastrophes and is now however many years old it takes for moss to start appearing.  Everything's going just fine until one of your dwarfs has the misfortune to walk over one of the mossy patches during a full moon.  Next thing you know he's growing green fuzz once a month and wandering slowly around doing....well that's a good question....maybe weathering holes in your walls and causing levers and mechanisms to clog up with plant debris or something.  And spreading moss everywhere, because moss is cool.  Heh, maybe the problem with were-mosses is not that they do things, but that they DON'T do things.  The disease (curse?) spreads rapidly and simply results in your dwarves spending lots of time trying to find a nice, shady wall to lean against.

Gurt02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12151 on: February 09, 2010, 01:51:04 am »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, and if it has could someone kindly point me to the answer, but:

Will we be able to use custom workshops and reactions to produce creatures, or modified versions of creatures, much like how the kennel takes a dog and turns it into a war dog?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12152 on: February 09, 2010, 01:59:15 am »

I know the last posted raws weren't final, but in regards to the Captain of the Guard and Hammerer, it shows squad:10 or somesuch, and only the civ level army appears to have captains & lieutenants as underlings.

Does this mean that the fortress guard and royal guard will only have 10 members at any given time?  Or will their number still have population based requirements?  Or does it mean the two leaders can only command 10 at one time and the rest are individuals?

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12153 on: February 09, 2010, 02:00:31 am »

Something that just occured to me.

With the new wound system, how do injuries affect a unit's capabilities?

No head = bad.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:03:21 am by Dwarfu »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #12154 on: February 09, 2010, 02:08:40 am »

I was more concerned about things like leg wounds (short of amputation) making it harder but not impossible to move around.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12155 on: February 09, 2010, 02:25:53 am »

I was more concerned about things like leg wounds (short of amputation) making it harder but not impossible to move around.

Yeah, I was just being stupid, it was a good question.

Here's another one! :)

With being able to set patrol points and kill orders, can this be expanded to give 'guard' orders and target, say, a noble?

I'd really like to enter an alert status where the royal guards run off to guard/follow certain nobles (like the king, duke, their consorts, children, etc.) until the alert is canceled.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 02:27:47 am by Dwarfu »

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12156 on: February 09, 2010, 03:03:29 am »

I'd really like to enter an alert status where the royal guards run off to guard/follow certain nobles (like the king, duke, their consorts, children, etc.) until the alert is canceled.

Waaaaait...

So let me get this strait: You want the guards to actually do something?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12157 on: February 09, 2010, 03:46:16 am »

With the new wound system, how do injuries affect a unit's capabilities?

A leg wound causes pain and blood loss like in the current version (which can slow you down in various ways), but the degree of both will now depend on the PAIN_RECEPTORS and VASCULAR settings of the affected tissues.  Also, if a MUSCULAR tissue is damaged, movement is inhibited.  If a STRUCTURAL tissue (e.g. bone) is damaged, movement is severely inhibited.  If you get stabbed in a body part with special functions, such as your heart, damage to FUNCTIONAL tissue will cause reduced function of the body part.

I don't know if that answers your question or not.  "A unit's capabilities" was kind of vague.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:50:46 am by Footkerchief »

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12158 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:28 am »

Just to jump backto the whole bucket full of water discussion:

Did I understand correctly, that buckets full of water (or water in general) can't be used as in reactions, because the dwarfs won't know how to fill them?

Would it still work, if you actually had bucket filled with water (this can be done with very long distance between wounded dwarf and watersource, since dwarffs stop for food and drink and drop the bucket.)?

Another question, if you made a stockpile, filled only with buckets, then flood the stockpile, and drain it, will the buckets be full of water? And  would you get bucketts filled with magma in the same way? (magma safe buckets, obviously)?
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12159 on: February 09, 2010, 04:32:26 am »

Did I understand correctly, that buckets full of water (or water in general) can't be used as in reactions, because the dwarfs won't know how to fill them?

Yes, that's the problem.

Would it still work, if you actually had bucket filled with water (this can be done with very long distance between wounded dwarf and watersource, since dwarffs stop for food and drink and drop the bucket.)?

Judging from the soap-making reaction, the game would have to support a CONTAINS_WATER flag (it probably doesn't).

Another question, if you made a stockpile, filled only with buckets, then flood the stockpile, and drain it, will the buckets be full of water? And  would you get bucketts filled with magma in the same way? (magma safe buckets, obviously)?

Nope.  Good idea though.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12160 on: February 09, 2010, 04:32:43 am »

Forgive me if this has been asked before, and if it has could someone kindly point me to the answer, but:

Will we be able to use custom workshops and reactions to produce creatures, or modified versions of creatures, much like how the kennel takes a dog and turns it into a war dog?
No.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12161 on: February 09, 2010, 04:38:26 am »

Gah my terrible translation powers have struck again By "sea foam" i ment "Meerschaum".
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12162 on: February 09, 2010, 04:42:32 am »

I thought the water would leave the bucket to create a puddle when dwarfs decide to drop them and do something else. Maybe I was just wrong. But where did all those puddles (water stuff that gets cleaned up) come from if this was not the case? ._______.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12163 on: February 09, 2010, 05:50:58 am »

But where did all those puddles (water stuff that gets cleaned up) come from if this was not the case? ._______.

Poor bladder control.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12164 on: February 09, 2010, 06:39:06 am »

I remember Toady mentioning something about a forgotten underground temple, I'm not sure if he has added it though. So here's my question:

Will we have other, special things underground in addition to the three cavern layers and possible new HFS? Stuff like treasure, forgotten cities etc?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.
Pages: 1 ... 809 810 [811] 812 813 ... 1065