Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631529 times)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12120 on: February 08, 2010, 04:46:12 pm »

All the talk about were-creatures make me think of a were-template. Changes from one Humanoid form to another should fairly easy.

A butterfly by the way dont transfers damage actually. The Caterpillar gets inside the cocoon de-solved by its digestive fluids to nourish the growth of a minor pack of stemmcells from which the Butterfly grows. So Actually Butterfly and Caterpilar are two different individuals.

For other Mutations and wounds you could just lower fat and the over all healthiness of a creature if the differences are to big.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 04:58:54 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12121 on: February 08, 2010, 04:53:32 pm »

Right. I forgot about that. Pity there's no way to order barrels of water stored yet.

Ah, well. Just one more thing to look forward to in releases yet to come.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12122 on: February 08, 2010, 04:57:20 pm »

That does raise a question though.  If the engine can already tell whether there's magma underneath a workshop for forges and smelters, what would it take to make another tag that does the same for water?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12123 on: February 08, 2010, 05:00:16 pm »

Dont do the waterwheels and wells that already?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12124 on: February 08, 2010, 05:10:42 pm »

Yes, but they're not workshops, and whatever part of the code makes them recognize water isn't used by the custom workshop maker.  If anything, that makes the question more pertinent, because there's already code that looks for water.  It's just a matter of the workshop system using it too.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12125 on: February 08, 2010, 05:12:28 pm »

Actuallyeven for flowing water too so we could construct a watermill / waterpowered-forge/hamerworks workshop which would even be in timeframe.

As for examples: 1352 the Hammer in Pleil and 1380 the Hammer Erla both in the German "Erzgebirge".
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 05:30:24 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12126 on: February 08, 2010, 05:22:47 pm »

That does raise a question though.  If the engine can already tell whether there's magma underneath a workshop for forges and smelters, what would it take to make another tag that does the same for water?
[...] there's already code that looks for water.  It's just a matter of the workshop system using it too.

From what Toady said, it wouldn't be too hard:

Quote from: Outcast Orange
What if there was a workshop you could build next to a water source, (a pump may be required for its construction)
which could use one barrel, reduce the adjacent water tile value by 2 and leave you with a water-filled barrel?
Then you could store your water in stock piles, or carry it between forts, or If you live in the desert, buy it from elves.
Also, you could "build" one of these barrels somewhere, then have your dwarf "activate it" similar to a lever. It would then be replaced by the amount of water supposedly in it.

The well already moves water from the map flows to a bucket in that way, so adding something like this isn't outside the realm of possibility, but I don't have specific plans extra water stuff yet.  I know there are lots of threads on all kinds of methods for for desert/glacial maps.

Quote from: Brown Moses
2 : Can buildings require water in the same manner as some require magma?

Require it not like power but just need it around?  There's nothing like that, though I might get around to having some of the weird restrictions current buildings have (like wells).

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12127 on: February 08, 2010, 05:38:05 pm »

On the subject of this weremoss/werelichen/werealgae thing, it reminds me of the Thing or perhaps something similar. It was a movie that I saw on SciFi channel which had this guy turned into a giant plant thing. I don't remember the movie, but thats what it made me think of.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12128 on: February 08, 2010, 05:45:46 pm »

On the subject of this weremoss/werelichen/werealgae thing, it reminds me of the Thing or perhaps something similar. It was a movie that I saw on SciFi channel which had this guy turned into a giant plant thing. I don't remember the movie, but thats what it made me think of.

Probably Swamp Thing.  He's strong against bullets, but weak against machetes.  On the topic of lycanthropes, I add my support for a template that allows it to work as a virus or some such, and causes switches between base species and werespecies.  Imagine the possibility of randomly-generated lycanthropic diseases in different regions and world gens, not to mention the havoc when or if a member of your fortress contracts it.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

AxisofLint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12129 on: February 08, 2010, 06:00:25 pm »

Actuallyeven for flowing water too so we could construct a watermill / waterpowered-forge/hamerworks workshop which would even be in timeframe.

As for examples: 1352 the Hammer in Pleil and 1380 the Hammer Erla both in the German "Erzgebirge".

I'm not sure what the advantage would be in terms of a forge however. Since (in my opinion, others may disagree), magma replaces the need for a fuel source, but water would not. Water wouldn't be able to provide the heat required, you would still need some kind of fuel source in order to melt some kind of metal to make some kind of metal object.

For other types of workshop it might prove beneficial however.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12130 on: February 08, 2010, 06:04:13 pm »

I'm not sure what the advantage would be in terms of a forge however.

Water-powered trip hammer.  Important technology for all kinds of industries, but it could use other power sources too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 06:07:12 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12131 on: February 08, 2010, 06:04:55 pm »

It would reduce the time which is needed to create a object and wuldnt be so tiresome for the dwarf.

Proud to be a Furry.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12132 on: February 08, 2010, 06:49:45 pm »

Weremoss would probably be quite dangerous.  Sure if they punch you or something it probably wouldn't hurt much, too much cushioning.  But if one grabs you, I imagine you could get all the nutrients sucked out of your body pretty fast.  I mean, isn't that what fungi do?
Yes but the lichen type are slow growers as they're reliant on the algae part.

I think I would be ok with the more powerful ones going metroid and draining prey to dust but that would be like the Dracula of vampires- there's just the one, or maybe a few, in that range. The rest are all well enough able to devastate regular humans but just a few hicks with some decent gear and teamwork can clear out a whole group of them.

Though I kind of dislike the way vampire hierarchy has spread to other ex-human monsters. Lycans are specifically supposed to not have control or even consciousness besides the level of later memories you see in people claiming to have been abducted by aliens.

All the talk about were-creatures make me think of a were-template. Changes from one Humanoid form to another should fairly easy.

A butterfly by the way dont transfers damage actually. The Caterpillar gets inside the cocoon de-solved by its digestive fluids to nourish the growth of a minor pack of stemmcells from which the Butterfly grows. So Actually Butterfly and Caterpilar are two different individuals.

For other Mutations and wounds you could just lower fat and the over all healthiness of a creature if the differences are to big.
Where do you draw the line for that? While we're developing in the womb we grow this fan shaped thing then we kill four wedges along it, and then what's left grows into our hands. Are we all on our second sets of appendages?

*Similar story for the whole wiring up the brain in a way that will be functional thing.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12133 on: February 08, 2010, 07:46:25 pm »

I think this may have been answered before, but I don't remember:

Are there any crafts that can only be created using horns or teeth in this version (I'm talking about vanilla here, I am sure it could be modded as a custom reaction)?  Specifically, I am thinking of drinking horns.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12134 on: February 08, 2010, 08:24:24 pm »

Nitpicking ahoy! (spoilered for off-topicness)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Further nitpicking.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 807 808 [809] 810 811 ... 1065