Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631355 times)

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12105 on: February 08, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »

Who says it's solid lichen?  A werewolf is half man, and half wolf.  Therefore, a werelichen, would be half man, half lichen.  (Or if you prefer, half man, half fungus, half algae.  That's an extra 50% right there, so already this monster sounds pretty deadly)

So, a big guy, thick green skin, thick layer of lichen to pad him against blows.  I'm sure it would be at least as dangerous as a werewolf.  Make it bigger on account of that extra 50% of being, and it's pretty tough!  Can we add extremely fast healing of wounds?  Have that represent the symbiotic algae in its blood helping to restitch severed tissues.  Sounds like a mean foe to me.

In the 2003 Hulk movie, wasn't he supposed to be green because they threw in some algae DNA?  So there you go:  Werewolves transform into their "lycan" form during a full moon, werelichens transform to their "lycan" form when they get angry.  Scientifically proven fact! 

Also, I remember you could kill moss on your deck just be leaving a penny on it, the copper kills it.  If lichens are similarly vulnerable, then instead of a silver vulnerability, a werelichen would have a copper vulnerability!  Not that we can put that in the raws just yet, but it's the thought that counts.

A stone golem heated to stone-melting temperatures will have more mass than a stone-cold stone golem. Because energy has mass, and molten rock has more stored energy than just a rock.

Infinitesimal.  One tonne of stone melted into magma would weigh like one tonne plus one billionth of a kilogram.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12106 on: February 08, 2010, 02:41:04 pm »

Infinitesimal or not, if it's greater and not equal, it's more mass.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12107 on: February 08, 2010, 02:42:42 pm »

Seeing it happen the once in some game would make an appropriate joke but I want to do a double surprise with it actually being a dangerous were-creature. Not really sure how to make moss into a tank-like killing machine without just turning into into magical material that somehow has heavy armor type properties and other such nonsense though.

Make it fragile and weak but with a poisonous breath weapon, so it's lethal if you're close but vulnerable to ranged attacks.
But they're just a little fungus-plant symbiont. They can't even send spores out very far (though that makes the "I was bit by the werewolf" spread of the condition more fair.)

I want the opposite where as soon as they say "oh, it's a plant/fungus so it can't more" it stands up and starts smashing down walls and such as it chases them.
You know, the way werewolves do when the worse a wolf would normally do is eat some livestock or surround you in the woods. It's not that they've turned into a wolf or a lichen- it's that it's a demihuman manbeast now.

No heavier than a stone golem, unless you account for the mass of the energy it contains.
Even thousands of degrees don't translate into enough mass to bother mentioning that. That's sort of why a basketball sized hunk of uranium can make a disturbingly large explosion with mushroom cloud and such.

*Anybody wanna estimate how many megatons that would yield?

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12108 on: February 08, 2010, 03:04:14 pm »

Quote from: Reese
The new system allowing metal bolts to be used for training means that the melt rounding up to 1/10 and bolts not being destroyed bug can come together for easy splitting of metal bolt stacks.  Do you plan to address either of these at this time, or are they going to have to wait for the balance pass?

I'm not sure I understand this.  Is it about getting extra metal by melting down individual bolts?  I haven't done anything with that, in any case.

Yeah, pretty much.  Honestly, I don't care if we can exploit it or not, just the question occurred to me.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #12109 on: February 08, 2010, 03:04:31 pm »

*Anybody wanna estimate how many megatons that would yield?
I attempted the math and got a number somewhere in the teratons, and I don't feel like trying again.

Also, this is getting a bit off-topic.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12110 on: February 08, 2010, 03:11:56 pm »

No heavier than a stone golem, unless you account for the mass of the energy it contains.
Even thousands of degrees don't translate into enough mass to bother mentioning that.

I'm pretty sure he was just trying to shield himself from the inevitable nitpicking.  Let it go.

JaaSwb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12111 on: February 08, 2010, 03:14:59 pm »

Nitpicking ahoy! (spoilered for off-topicness)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The fish are watching.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12112 on: February 08, 2010, 03:24:15 pm »

Weremoss would probably be quite dangerous.  Sure if they punch you or something it probably wouldn't hurt much, too much cushioning.  But if one grabs you, I imagine you could get all the nutrients sucked out of your body pretty fast.  I mean, isn't that what fungi do?

And as a minor aside, me and some buddies made a AD&D "Werecow".  Beware the average adventurer that confuses it for a minotaur! For they can flee down a dark cave and drop 'mines' that when stepped in have a stinking cloud or cloudkill effect, and inflict acid damage on footwear.  Better be good at those search checks!

Thanks for answering the questions Toady!
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12113 on: February 08, 2010, 03:46:58 pm »

In the event of a fort-wide flood your pumice golem can be used as a flotation device.
Pumice is not in-game yet, 85% sure, since it requires structural information and not just material properties.

On that note, do birdbones have something indicating structural strength other than material?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12114 on: February 08, 2010, 03:47:53 pm »

In the future, will it be possible to create creatures that 'transform' upon receiving certain stimuli, or after meeting some condition? Like, a snake that transforms into a bird and back? Or a caterpillar that undergoes the various stages of cacoon to a butterfly?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12115 on: February 08, 2010, 04:06:55 pm »

In the event of a fort-wide flood your pumice golem can be used as a flotation device.
Pumice is not in-game yet, 85% sure, since it requires structural information and not just material properties.

True, although it might be worth modding it in after the release. Won't be super-realistic (we don't have violent eruptions yet, which I think are necessary for pumice to form) but it could be useful. Especially for custom reactions. The Romans used powdered pumice as an additive to concrete, for example.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12116 on: February 08, 2010, 04:14:10 pm »

In the future, will it be possible to create creatures that 'transform' upon receiving certain stimuli, or after meeting some condition? Like, a snake that transforms into a bird and back? Or a caterpillar that undergoes the various stages of cacoon to a butterfly?

Metamorphosis type stuff will go in eventually, yeah:

Quote from: Toady One
Quote from: i are not good with compu
I'm hoping we'll be able to define phases of development (i.e. [Child] of creature has its own tokens, and at [Age] it becomes [Adolescent] and its tokens change).

Not yet -- I didn't want to deal with wound/inventory transfers yet for completely different bodies, but I'm hoping to get there in some future release.

Quote from: SirHoneyBadger
Yeah, that's what I'm wondering about--whether there will someday be the option of having more than one "growthspurt", rather than just accumulated size, and additionally, whether that "growthspurt" can also alter/enhance the form and/or nature of a being in question, as the being ages (A classic example would be a caterpillar transforming into a butterfly.).

I don't understand the distinction between growth spurts and changing the size.  As far as I know, a growth spurt is a period of time where something is growing faster than it normally does, and you can set up as many of those as you want with the creatures size.  Something like a metamorphosis is much more involved.  We'll have them at some point, but the bodies need to be handled, and that can be involved.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #12117 on: February 08, 2010, 04:24:21 pm »

Can we use water (in buckets or barrels) as part of reactions with the new custom workshops? I think we can, but I can't find anything that says so...
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12118 on: February 08, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »

I think not. Foot will probably find a quote.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12119 on: February 08, 2010, 04:36:39 pm »

Can we use water (in buckets or barrels) as part of reactions with the new custom workshops? I think we can, but I can't find anything that says so...
I think not.

Yeah, the problem is getting the water into the bucket:

Quote from: Footkerchief
Yeah, water has always been very hardcoded, even more so than the few other materials that are remaining hardcoded.  It's not clear whether reactions will be able to access it, although it would come in handy all over the place.

I would love to use a mod that separates the brewery/winery/etc. from the still, forces you to use water in brewing, and requires pipe sections and fuel at the still.  Oh, and the still should have a 1/100 chance of "exploding" (steam would come in handy there too!).  And the still should be able to use magma instead of fuel.

Reactions don't know how to handle buckets of water as reagents in terms of getting somebody to fill an empty bucket at a water source as an intermediate step.  You can get at the materials in terms of products or simple reagents (like a boulder of ice).  You can set your custom still to be magma-fueled, at least, or to use regular fuel for the reaction.
Pages: 1 ... 806 807 [808] 809 810 ... 1065