Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631320 times)

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12045 on: February 07, 2010, 10:23:06 pm »

So will the new surgeon be able to fix cats?

I think there's not going to be any vet care like plasters and such for animals in the new version.

Undecided as of a few days ago:

Quote from: Chthonic
Are dwarves with animal care enabled going to be able to splint wardogs' broken legs and so forth, and in general make veterinary care functional?

It's one of those things that is sitting on the put-off pile and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

I believe he meant the "no breeding" kind of "fix".

If that's the case, yeah, neutering is Req509, but it's not going in for this release.
The only question I have is if we will be able to do the same with our dwarves. I want to be able to breed out specific physical traits and cultures damnit!

Hmm...  Dwarven eunuchs for your temple of Armok?

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12046 on: February 07, 2010, 10:25:35 pm »

I think there's not going to be any vet care like plasters and such for animals in the new version.

Are dwarves with animal care enabled going to be able to splint wardogs' broken legs and so forth, and in general make veterinary care functional?

It's one of those things that is sitting on the put-off pile and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

If that's the case, yeah, neutering is Req509, but it's not going in for this release.
The only question I have is if we will be able to do the same with our dwarves. I want to be able to breed out specific physical traits and cultures damnit!

Hmm...  Dwarven eunuchs for your temple of Armok?

More like weeding out the red-heads, but that works too!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12047 on: February 07, 2010, 10:55:32 pm »

Seeing as most cultures are pretty disgusted by mandatory sterilization  (they even halted the practice in early Nazi Germany,) the unhappy thoughts you would get from it would be bad enough that you might as well just engineer mining accidents to kill rooms full of undesirables and their babies if you find them reproducing.

Fortunately with burrows you'll be able to easily isolate them practically as soon as they arrive thus reducing issues with dwarves losing close friends.
"Oh darn, more migrants and I don't have rooms ready for them."
"Alright, all you gingers get into the cuddle chamber. No no, you'll only be in there for the rest of the day then you can go back to your lives."
"Oh, and pull that lever right there in about two minutes."
A section of the cavern has collapsed.
"And over here you'll find the dining room."
"Yes yes, I know the drawers are full of xxpigtail sockxx-s.
They're free with the room but if you don't want them we can easily atom smash them."
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 11:13:51 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12048 on: February 07, 2010, 11:38:47 pm »

oh my... it isn't out yet and you guys are already planning on using the new version to create concentration camps and extermination chambers for redheads

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12049 on: February 07, 2010, 11:44:13 pm »

The real way to go about this is to create gender segregated burrows for any undesirables, kept away from the rest of the population. All the dwarves can work in the same places, just as long as there is no socialization between an undesirable and a member of the opposite sex.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #12050 on: February 07, 2010, 11:45:48 pm »

We were at the CC already 6 Months ago. Well toady said dwarfs should somehow take notice if they get selected for unnatural deaths. I guess this could be done by some statistics.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:26:53 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12051 on: February 07, 2010, 11:51:57 pm »

We were at the CC already 6 Months ago. Well toady said dwarfs should somehow take notice if they get selected for unnatural deaths. I guess this could be done by some statistics.
This might actually be feasible, for cave-in deaths anyway; the game only checks for cave-ins when a tile is removed. If that tile is a support, and the cave-in kills someone, it's fairly easy to ascertain that foul play was involved, because falling and being crushed situations that almost never occur without it. Drowning deaths might be trickier, given that liquid is constantly flowing, and it's harder to trace the cause back to a given lever pull.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12052 on: February 08, 2010, 01:30:32 am »

Well you could use pure death statistics with a certain failure tollerance and certain states. Say 3 dead redheads over the average lets the dwarfs think they have just bad luck. 5 Means "there is something wrong" and 7 "Lets get out of this hellhole".

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12053 on: February 08, 2010, 01:54:04 am »

Well you could use pure death statistics with a certain failure tollerance and certain states. Say 3 dead redheads over the average lets the dwarfs think they have just bad luck. 5 Means "there is something wrong" and 7 "Lets get out of this hellhole".

Remember, people, they can't think if they're dead.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12054 on: February 08, 2010, 02:05:27 am »

Or it could just be based on the number of non-invader/wildlife/clown-caused deaths in a given year. Also, numerous deaths happening at the same time in this way would stir unrest and suspicion on your dwarves. Dwarves should also be able to notice suspicious engineering (why the hell is there a floodgate in the back of my room anyway?) and architecture (I admit, thats a really pretty giant block of obsidiant, but why is it supported by a single support? Isn't that dangerous).
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12055 on: February 08, 2010, 02:13:47 am »

The real way to go about this is to create gender segregated burrows for any undesirables, kept away from the rest of the population. All the dwarves can work in the same places, just as long as there is no socialization between an undesirable and a member of the opposite sex.
You can't realistically breed them out like that with 100 year lifespans.
Plus with my method you'll suck in more undesireables from other sites so it's ultimately more effective.

Or it could just be based on the number of non-invader/wildlife/clown-caused deaths in a given year. Also, numerous deaths happening at the same time in this way would stir unrest and suspicion on your dwarves. Dwarves should also be able to notice suspicious engineering (why the hell is there a floodgate in the back of my room anyway?) and architecture (I admit, thats a really pretty giant block of obsidiant, but why is it supported by a single support? Isn't that dangerous).
It would be damn hard for the game to figure that out when you've walled yourself in except for a bridge that drops all of the undesirables outside during a goblin siege.

Obviously deaths are expected there and it wouldn't be realistic to make equal trait ratio military forces for all of the many traits. Maybe we'd eventually make a companion utility to add those up but without that kind of thing it would be horrible trying to do that, and not even FUN.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Blind Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXTRAVISION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12056 on: February 08, 2010, 02:32:01 am »

Making plans for dwarven concentration camps? I've never heard of something so vile, so dispicable. Just knowing that people can do this to anything, even little computer simulation dwarves, makes me lose all faith in humanity.

I freakin' love this place.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12057 on: February 08, 2010, 02:40:20 am »

The thing is, just killing the gingers means that you can't use them for your labour force, something that can be done by neutering them.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12058 on: February 08, 2010, 02:46:42 am »

Hey if the Gobs can come to siege us they can after that serve as Labor-slaves - given that they survive.

And Gingers arent just redheads. Redheads with Freckles are "Gingers". Redheads without freckles are called "Day-walker".

Proud to be a Furry.

Innominate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12059 on: February 08, 2010, 05:15:44 am »

The thing is, just killing the gingers means that you can't use them for your labour force, something that can be done by neutering them.
This makes me wonder. What is the most injured a dwarf will be able to be (in the upcoming version) and still give birth?

My guess is that it won't affect reproduction at all. A married couple, both with mutilated lower bodies, would probably pop out just as many children as a healthy couple. At least, they'd have just as many children as a couple who spent most of their lives unconscious.

Also; dwarves don't have foetal alcohol syndrome. Awesome!
Pages: 1 ... 802 803 [804] 805 806 ... 1065