Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631176 times)

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12030 on: February 07, 2010, 06:24:22 pm »

So will the new surgeon be able to fix cats?

I think there's not going to be any vet care like plasters and such for animals in the new version.

I believe he meant the "no breeding" kind of "fix".
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #12031 on: February 07, 2010, 06:25:05 pm »

Every time I check in and see that there's no update I die a little bit inside. I've been holding off creating a new fortress since early january and I'm really regretting waiting so long, but sod's law says he'll be done the instant I actually start up a new game.

Stop being me!

We'd all be very grateful if the two of you would start up new games, thus causing the next version to issue immediately.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12032 on: February 07, 2010, 06:27:43 pm »

I think there's not going to be any vet care like plasters and such for animals in the new version.

I think Toady said in one of his Q&A walls of text a couple of months back something about neutering animals. Not sure how to find it again though.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12033 on: February 07, 2010, 06:29:26 pm »

My understanding is that the new version will have extendable sky limits? If that is the case, I'm looking forward to seeing 3D visualisations of future mega-towers. I'd like to see a tower that pumps magma right up through the center and out the top, cascading downwards into a surrounding moat!

The best part will be throwing a goblin off the top, one 100 z-levels above sea level, and as he falls, passing through the cloud layer, getting showered with a light drizzle that washes the bloodstains from his face and broken hands, seeing a couple of red cardinals and a skeletal giant eagle that barely has enough time to screech as he flashes past, he has time to wonder about the meaning of his life, and whether he should have better spent it as a priest, waiting out the inevitable decline of his civilization to the dwarves.

Eventually he'll fall close to the ground, and the above-ground magma foundries of the dwarves will send up a smoke that obscures vision, but he is able to see that his fall is directed near to a pit, and just as he falls by the rim of the pit he passes by mere inches a dwarven toddler, scaring it witless and scarring it for life.

Down into the underground z-levels the goblin plunges, until the sun above is no more than a speck of light. At first he falls through a natural cavern whose walls sparkle with as yet unmined out minerals, then through a glass shaft that runs deep into the earth, through solid stone, though occasionally opening up to a lightless void where shadowy figures snarl in the distance.

Eventually, there is no more light, and he loses track of time, wandering if his fall will never end. Abruptly he hits something large, scaly, and bounces off, stunned both by the landing and by the fact that he didn't die immediately in a shower of gore. Then, something rips off his arms, and as the Forgotten Beast starts to dismember him, he wishes that he had hit the solid bedrock instead.
Oh, and what's this that's coming up now? So big, and flat, and round. It needs a nice big round-sounding word. Round, round... Ground! I'll call it the ground! I wonder if we'll be friends?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12034 on: February 07, 2010, 07:00:59 pm »

Neutering is not in this version, either.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #12035 on: February 07, 2010, 08:10:05 pm »

My understanding is that the new version will have extendable sky limits? If that is the case, I'm looking forward to seeing 3D visualisations of future mega-towers. I'd like to see a tower that pumps magma right up through the center and out the top, cascading downwards into a surrounding moat!

The best part will be throwing a goblin off the top, one 100 z-levels above sea level, and as he falls, passing through the cloud layer, getting showered with a light drizzle that washes the bloodstains from his face and broken hands, seeing a couple of red cardinals and a skeletal giant eagle that barely has enough time to screech as he flashes past, he has time to wonder about the meaning of his life, and whether he should have better spent it as a priest, waiting out the inevitable decline of his civilization to the dwarves.

Eventually he'll fall close to the ground, and the above-ground magma foundries of the dwarves will send up a smoke that obscures vision, but he is able to see that his fall is directed near to a pit, and just as he falls by the rim of the pit he passes by mere inches a dwarven toddler, scaring it witless and scarring it for life.

Down into the underground z-levels the goblin plunges, until the sun above is no more than a speck of light. At first he falls through a natural cavern whose walls sparkle with as yet unmined out minerals, then through a glass shaft that runs deep into the earth, through solid stone, though occasionally opening up to a lightless void where shadowy figures snarl in the distance.

Eventually, there is no more light, and he loses track of time, wandering if his fall will never end. Abruptly he hits something large, scaly, and bounces off, stunned both by the landing and by the fact that he didn't die immediately in a shower of gore. Then, something rips off his arms, and as the Forgotten Beast starts to dismember him, he wishes that he had hit the solid bedrock instead.
Oh, and what's this that's coming up now? So big, and flat, and round. It needs a nice big round-sounding word. Round, round... Ground! I'll call it the ground! I wonder if we'll be friends?

where's the flower pot?

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12036 on: February 07, 2010, 08:13:05 pm »

I wonder what the bowl of petunias was thinking.

EDIT: Ninja'd!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12037 on: February 07, 2010, 08:16:39 pm »

Neutering is not in this version, either.

There was discussion about it a while back, don't remember what became of it though.

Quote from: From the devlog
With the immediate goals checked off, the digging projects moved deeper to test some endgame stuff, but a large underground beast managed to get into one of the stairwells and there were further deaths.

Forgotten Beast maybe? Although that is more likely to be a fort ender if you aren't prepared or you end up with a particularily powerful/nasty one. Theres something like 40 new cavern critters, so it could have been one of them as well.

Kire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12038 on: February 07, 2010, 08:27:09 pm »

Toady, can you post some screenshots of the new military and squad interfaces, and some more dwarven personality/appearance examples? Maybe upload a film of sparring and training to the dfma?

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12039 on: February 07, 2010, 08:30:31 pm »

Toady, can you post some screenshots of the new military and squad interfaces, and some more dwarven personality/appearance examples? Maybe upload a film of sparring and training to the dfma?

That would be great.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12040 on: February 07, 2010, 08:33:32 pm »

The DFMA movie might be spoiling it a bit much, but seeing some screenshots of the new interface would be cool.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12041 on: February 07, 2010, 08:45:40 pm »

Every time I check in and see that there's no update I die a little bit inside. I've been holding off creating a new fortress since early january and I'm really regretting waiting so long, but sod's law says he'll be done the instant I actually start up a new game.
Then by all means, start up a new fortress and it'll make everyone happy.  :)

On a more serious note, it is a good idea to try 40d17 out - efforts in making a last-minute fortress won't be wasted if it lets you help Toady and Baughn find and eliminate bugs in the upcoming release.  The more we can test out 40d17, the better the new release will be.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:48:56 pm by Kilo24 »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12042 on: February 07, 2010, 09:23:44 pm »

Undecided as of a few days ago:

Quote from: Chthonic
Are dwarves with animal care enabled going to be able to splint wardogs' broken legs and so forth, and in general make veterinary care functional?

It's one of those things that is sitting on the put-off pile and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

If that's the case, yeah, neutering is Req509, but it's not going in for this release.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12043 on: February 07, 2010, 09:32:56 pm »

I did a little exercise on this and its really simple to get interesting pushes of items in a water flow. This would work in brooks and rivers as well as the pressurized sources they behave like.

Pathfind from where the additional water enters to where it finds space. This should have some weighing towards straight lines instead of shortest path.

Along this path, create a vector that pushes objects with a force appropriate to the strength of the flow.

Now the tricky bit. When possible, create additional vectors with somewhat less pushing power to squares 45 degrees from the main vector. For each of these do the same, and each of those do the same, for a total of three iterations of additional 45 degree vectors whenever a vector enters a square of 7/7 water.

You get something like this:

Flowing from the bottom. Orange is the main flow, Green is the first branch, blue the second branch, and pink the third branch. I couldn't put too much work into arrowheads, but the visual effect is sufficient. This serves perfectly to push objects out of the flow when the stream widens and pull objects into the flow when its narrow. It creates stagnant areas on both inside and outside curves, and pulls objects back into the outflow. An object could exit and enter the main stream through here three times, flowing right out the top, or be pushed to the west bank to rest, or pulled into an eddy on the east bank.

For a half-hour idea, its quick, dirty, efficient, and realistic.
For drawing nice arrows I've just about resolved to stop ever trying unless I'm in a program like illustrator.
However you could have reduced the effort by
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anyway, this looks good for when you've got a single tile input and single tile output from a pool like that but if you've only got one input it's never going to spread out appropriately and (for 3 width exit) you'll get this strong flow line running next to two much weaker lanes.

In the case of a lake with a river running through it the flow should virtually cease a few tiles in, at least at the scale where you'd be pushing around gnomes or whatever in the water. I've been to a few swimming areas like that and there's really no current until right where the wide pool ends and the flow is all concentrated back into a narrow stream of water.

The semi-popular idea of mapping out the shape of the whole body of water and just assigning a flow direction to it seems like it would be necessary for dispersing currents and would have the benefit of also having application in getting large but shallow bodies of water to spread out quickly.

I read fix like spay/neuter.

In which case no, not yet.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 09:38:30 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12044 on: February 07, 2010, 09:55:28 pm »

Undecided as of a few days ago:

Quote from: Chthonic
Are dwarves with animal care enabled going to be able to splint wardogs' broken legs and so forth, and in general make veterinary care functional?

It's one of those things that is sitting on the put-off pile and I'm not sure what's going to happen.

If that's the case, yeah, neutering is Req509, but it's not going in for this release.
The only question I have is if we will be able to do the same with our dwarves. I want to be able to breed out specific physical traits and cultures damnit!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.
Pages: 1 ... 801 802 [803] 804 805 ... 1065