Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631376 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #12000 on: February 07, 2010, 10:06:08 am »

Quote from: Toady
In the meantime, I cleaned up some bugs with the raws, including some trees that dropped gray wood.

what's wrong with gray wood? I've seen gray wood.

also pink wood.

Thats what I thought too as I believe I've seen gray wood as well. Maybe it was really old wood though, no idea.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:09:26 am by smjjames »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12001 on: February 07, 2010, 10:08:37 am »

In the meantime, I cleaned up some bugs with the raws, including some trees that dropped gray wood.

also pink wood.

Thats what I thought too as I believe I've seen gray wood too. Maybe it was really old wood though, no idea.

I think we are all aware that wood can be gray sometimes.  It probably just wasn't supposed to be gray in this case.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12002 on: February 07, 2010, 10:18:06 am »

also pink wood.

Thats what I thought too as I believe I've seen gray wood too. Maybe it was really old wood though, no idea.

I think we are all aware that wood can be gray sometimes.  It probably just wasn't supposed to be gray in this case.

Depends on the species of tree. Actually, I'm not sure what species of tree has grey wood.

Edit: Hey, I just had a thought, maybe it would be possible to make trees that drop other colors of wood, like blue, purple, or even green.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:21:18 am by smjjames »

Melious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12003 on: February 07, 2010, 10:35:05 am »

This might be an un-educated question, but I think I remember seeing mention of waterflow being changed in some way.

I have made only one mega construct, and it didn't work the way I was hoping being that waterflow is alittle.. odd.
I made a huge tower, reaching waaay up, that connected to a long bridge that led into the only entrance to a cliffside fort. Rather than explain the mechanics, I'll just say that the bridge and tower were flooded during an invasion, and then I would open the walls of the bridge and fling the goblins/elves to their utter doom. It was very entertaining when it worked, especially when they "survived".

The problem was, it rarely sucked anything over the edge to smash on the ground 100 feet or so below. I don't think I tried adding a roof to the bridge, so maybe it was for lack of water pressure that I didn't get the desired toilet flushing effect.

Anyway, Has water flow been altered in any way as to better move items/creatures around?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 10:36:43 am by Melious »
-Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, whom when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died-

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12004 on: February 07, 2010, 10:45:04 am »

I wonder how the dwarf was attached to his pants.

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12005 on: February 07, 2010, 10:58:32 am »

The most exciting part of all these short stories, to me, is how many dwarfs keep dieing. :>

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12006 on: February 07, 2010, 11:06:15 am »

@Melious: If you're referring to the update flow/contam pushes, I believe that refers to stuff like blood in water. However, that is a good question.

I'm pretty sure Toady didn't change any of the physics and if he did, he would have let us know.

Melious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12007 on: February 07, 2010, 11:12:50 am »

You're right, I'd be really suprised if it had changed. The water flow isn't really so abnormal, just some of its mechanics.

Still, I'll make it again with the new release and hope, because it was awesome fun to make. I just wanted to smash things.
-Upon the plains of hesitation bleach the bones of countless millions, whom when on the dawn of victory paused to rest, and there resting died-

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12008 on: February 07, 2010, 11:50:01 am »

Anyway, Has water flow been altered in any way as to better move items/creatures around?
You're right, I'd be really suprised if it had changed. The water flow isn't really so abnormal, just some of its mechanics.

I'd be surprised too.  Like smjjames said, "Update blood flow/contam pushes" was something different.

The way item/creature pushing works is that items/creatures have a chance to get pushed (depending on weight or at least creature size) whenever water flows from their tile to an adjacent tile.  However, this means that items/creatures in 7/7 water never get pushed, because to save on processor usage, the game "teleports" water to the edges of 7/7 areas without touching the parts in the middle.  Hopefully there'll be a better solution for this later on.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12009 on: February 07, 2010, 11:52:33 am »

I'm pretty sure Toady didn't change any of the physics and if he did, he would have let us know.

One day water jets will act properly, then fountains like this one will be de jour for happythought generation. think of the mist!

(or these)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12010 on: February 07, 2010, 12:57:32 pm »

Will silver hurt them more than damage from attacks with other weapons?

Nope.  You could mod them to get poisoned by silver, but stabbing them (etc.) with a silver weapon wouldn't be enough to poison them.  You'd have to have silver dust on the blade or something
I think thats exactly how it should work. Catastrophic reaction to a cast/forged/tempered piece of a specific metal that a creature has a susceptibility to doesn't make nearly as much sense as reaction to internal exposure to a fine or even mollecularized form of it. Silver powder as a 'poison' to were creatures really does make more sense in the end, both in 'lack of magical properties' terms and in material cost (mollecularized silver powder would be far cheaper than a silver sword).

Its a bit out of Underworld actually - really tough werewolves would just pull the bullets out. Make the silver into a liquid or powder that they can't remove from their bloodstream and its far more effective.

If application of poisons to weapons ever gets added (meaning, adventure mode), I'd love to see Silver Powder next to Giant Cave Spider Venom and Acidic Dragon Blood (naturally, applying acidic dragon blood to a non-steel or adamantine weapon would destroy it).

I always liked my DF being closer to reality than fantasy in some of the physical senses.

chaturga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12011 on: February 07, 2010, 01:00:30 pm »

I wonder how the dwarf was attached to his pants.

My guess is beard tangled in belt buckle...

Ranzear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12012 on: February 07, 2010, 01:09:48 pm »

I'd be surprised too.  Like smjjames said, "Update blood flow/contam pushes" was something different.

The way item/creature pushing works is that items/creatures have a chance to get pushed (depending on weight or at least creature size) whenever water flows from their tile to an adjacent tile.  However, this means that items/creatures in 7/7 water never get pushed, because to save on processor usage, the game "teleports" water to the edges of 7/7 areas without touching the parts in the middle.  Hopefully there'll be a better solution for this later on.
Perhaps simply an averaging of vectors could be applied to the surrounding tiles between the water's starting and ending locations.

If additional water is forced into a 7/7 tile, and is teleported to the other end by pressure, even just a quick pathfind (through 7/7 tiles) between those points could provide vectors for pushing objects without having to alter the very important optimization at work here. If the number of branches is very constrained, this could even work as 'streaming outward' if a source feeds into a larger area - the vectors are going to push things from the entrance of the larger space to the exit. A bit of code could even tesselate and branch additional vectors into adjacent water tiles to create whirlpools and stagnant areas that may realistically collect fish and debris.

Melious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12013 on: February 07, 2010, 01:21:42 pm »

Huh, starting to wonder if I should make it into a suggestion. Think of all the deadly fun traps to be had with water pressure.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12014 on: February 07, 2010, 02:02:57 pm »

Perhaps simply an averaging of vectors could be applied to the surrounding tiles between the water's starting and ending locations.

If additional water is forced into a 7/7 tile, and is teleported to the other end by pressure, even just a quick pathfind (through 7/7 tiles) between those points could provide vectors for pushing objects without having to alter the very important optimization at work here. If the number of branches is very constrained, this could even work as 'streaming outward' if a source feeds into a larger area - the vectors are going to push things from the entrance of the larger space to the exit. A bit of code could even tesselate and branch additional vectors into adjacent water tiles to create whirlpools and stagnant areas that may realistically collect fish and debris.

you could also truncate the extra little bit of water that moves randomly in stagnant pools, and have it join what ever water when it begins to flow, that way if you have 9 6/7 tiles and one 7/7 tile you don't end up with a dancing piece of water until you drain exactly 1/7 from the pool.  not that it is a major performance hit when you have dancing water, well at least compared to other stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 1065