Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631347 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11985 on: February 06, 2010, 11:55:01 pm »

You're a post too early. this one is probably page 800.

Edit: nm, lol
Live and learn.

Posting just to 'get' a page isn't very useful, though this forum has no rule against it.
Well, aren't you a smug sumbitch?

Pretty well played, actually.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11986 on: February 07, 2010, 02:36:47 am »

Can I be on page 800 too? I'll be brief. :)

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11987 on: February 07, 2010, 02:41:39 am »

My understanding is that the new version will have extendable sky limits? If that is the case, I'm looking forward to seeing 3D visualisations of future mega-towers. I'd like to see a tower that pumps magma right up through the center and out the top, cascading downwards into a surrounding moat!
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #11988 on: February 07, 2010, 02:57:26 am »

My understanding is that the new version will have extendable sky limits? If that is the case, I'm looking forward to seeing 3D visualisations of future mega-towers. I'd like to see a tower that pumps magma right up through the center and out the top, cascading downwards into a surrounding moat!

The best part will be throwing a goblin off the top, one 100 z-levels above sea level, and as he falls, passing through the cloud layer, getting showered with a light drizzle that washes the bloodstains from his face and broken hands, seeing a couple of red cardinals and a skeletal giant eagle that barely has enough time to screech as he flashes past, he has time to wonder about the meaning of his life, and whether he should have better spent it as a priest, waiting out the inevitable decline of his civilization to the dwarves.

Eventually he'll fall close to the ground, and the above-ground magma foundries of the dwarves will send up a smoke that obscures vision, but he is able to see that his fall is directed near to a pit, and just as he falls by the rim of the pit he passes by mere inches a dwarven toddler, scaring it witless and scarring it for life.

Down into the underground z-levels the goblin plunges, until the sun above is no more than a speck of light. At first he falls through a natural cavern whose walls sparkle with as yet unmined out minerals, then through a glass shaft that runs deep into the earth, through solid stone, though occasionally opening up to a lightless void where shadowy figures snarl in the distance.

Eventually, there is no more light, and he loses track of time, wandering if his fall will never end. Abruptly he hits something large, scaly, and bounces off, stunned both by the landing and by the fact that he didn't die immediately in a shower of gore. Then, something rips off his arms, and as the monster starts to dismember him, he wishes that he had hit the solid bedrock instead.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 11:00:38 am by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11989 on: February 07, 2010, 03:06:41 am »

Magma foundries don't emit smoke.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11990 on: February 07, 2010, 03:08:57 am »

Maybe they're steel foundries?

Either way, it gives the scene some feel to it.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11991 on: February 07, 2010, 03:30:35 am »

The best part will be throwing a goblin off the top, one 100 z-levels above sea level, and as he falls, passing through the cloud layer, getting showered with a light drizzle that washes the bloodstains from his face and broken hands, seeing a couple of red cardinals and a skeletal giant eagle that barely has enough time to screech as he flashes past, he has time to wonder about the meaning of his life, and whether he should have better spent it as a priest, waiting out the inevitable decline of his civilization to the dwarves.

Eventually he'll fall close to the ground, and the above-ground magma foundries of the dwarves will send up a smoke that obscures vision, but he is able to see that his fall is directed near to a pit, and just as he falls by the rim of the pit he passes by mere inches a dwarven toddler, scaring it witless and scarring it for life.

Down into the underground z-levels the goblin plunges, until the sun above is no more than a speck of light. At first he falls through a natural cavern whose walls sparkle with as yet unmined out minerals, then through a glass shaft that runs deep into the earth, through solid stone, though occasionally opening up to a lightless void where shadowy figures snarl in the distance.

Eventually, there is no more light, and he loses track of time, wandering if his fall will never end. Abruptly he hits something large, scaly, and bounces off, stunned both by the landing and by the fact that he didn't die immediately in a shower of gore. Then, something rips off his arms, and as the Forgotten Beast starts to dismember him, he wishes that he had hit the solid bedrock instead.

hmmm... let me guess the other side of the tower has several layers dedicated to torturing elves, with the lowest being a pit with a tentacle demon reserved for young elf maidens, with windows to rooms?  of course the young elf men whom are placed in a pit that logs fall down into from a decent height isn't nice either.  i don't really want to ask what happens to the old elf men and women, let alone the elf children.  of course the humans are enslaved into pets that sleep in cages in the rooms of their masters, while constantly reminded of what they have lost via statues mimicking their most memorable monuments.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11992 on: February 07, 2010, 05:03:14 am »

In this case the defined melting point of glass is lower than DF's magma but glass buildings somehow have a higher melting point than glass items sitting on a tile.

Right, that's the issue. Whatever the temp settings for [material], the game should, in theory, treat it consistently, and it doesn't. The most extreme example is magma reservoirs made of Constructed ice blocks, but wooden cages holding fire imps or magma men or glass screw pumps handling magma also fit the bill.
And those are all unrelated mechanisms.

IIRC the in-depth test had glasspumps will melt if you get magma ON them.
You don't. My glass pumps get magma flooded fairly often when I mess something up. Only have to get the magma to drain.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11993 on: February 07, 2010, 05:32:00 am »

Cages are effectively a portal into a pocket dimension
That probably explains how traders can load a camel with 5 caged camels.

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11994 on: February 07, 2010, 05:48:40 am »

That surely belongs here.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11995 on: February 07, 2010, 07:46:45 am »

I'm actually planning on organizing a tower-based competition for the new version. The basis of it would be using a 2x2 embark with minimal features, but having max sky and max ground. Your main goal, glossing through other details: Build an absolutely epic tower. I think it'll be a good time.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11996 on: February 07, 2010, 07:52:35 am »

That surely belongs here.

I would, but I really can't art to save my life. I started trying to do it using MSpaint and clips from Google Images, but it just wasn't working out to my satisfaction.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11997 on: February 07, 2010, 08:07:15 am »

Omg, you guise. Your dwarves seem pretty cruel.

The farthest mine have ever gotten was a labirynth, with chained war moose and war-other-creatures, into which prisoners were unleashed - naked. On the end of the labirynth was the edge of the map.
Fair enough, and good show.

Also I don't think throwing elven maidens to tentacle demons is very dwarvenly at all...

Urist McBypasser: Oh my Armok A NAKED ELF
Urist McBypasser cancels Eat: Throwing a tantrum
Urist McBypasser cancels Throwing a tantrum: Dangerous terrain.
Urist McBypasser has drowned.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 08:25:47 am by roqi »
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11998 on: February 07, 2010, 08:26:29 am »

Quote from: Toady
In the meantime, I cleaned up some bugs with the raws, including some trees that dropped gray wood.

what's wrong with gray wood? I've seen gray wood.

also pink wood.

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11999 on: February 07, 2010, 08:28:12 am »

poetry

This must happen.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.
Pages: 1 ... 798 799 [800] 801 802 ... 1065