Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631550 times)

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11955 on: February 06, 2010, 12:40:26 am »

Go ahead.

I've started about 20 "last one"s since I said I couldn't start another with the release so close.

Use it to plan out your new barracks, hospital, soap industry, defenses, new noble quarters...or just to kill elves.

Go ahead.  You know you want to.  Try it.

Hondo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11956 on: February 06, 2010, 12:58:20 am »

I made a throwaway fort to test a layout idea for the next version, but the main thing I learned was that a waterfall mist system is simply not worth the FPS hit I get. Which is nice to know before I make a "real" fort and spend a lot of time making all the pipes and mechanics.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #11957 on: February 06, 2010, 01:22:02 am »

Heh yeah i was too thinking on the templates. A raw-writer would also a little tool to removed doubled entry and a checking if the raws are not bugged.

That reminds me that i wanted to add one creature too - damn expanded shifts eating my time up.
This reminded me to get back to MY Raw-combining tool. Which will hopefully work better than the built-in creature variations.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11959 on: February 06, 2010, 02:58:11 am »

Something I was wondering about this:  Is the "contents under pressure" behaviour hard-coded into guts, or is there a way to specify that a body part or tissue layer is under pressure?

It's probably controlled by the [GUTS] body part tag, like in the current version.  I'm not sure whether that tag does anything else, so sticking it on other body parts may have undesired side effects.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11960 on: February 06, 2010, 03:05:55 am »

Yeah, that under pressure interests me too.  I want to be able to get the neck and heart to spew blood in a pressurized fashion when cut open or pierced.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11961 on: February 06, 2010, 03:15:05 am »

Yeah, that under pressure interests me too.  I want to be able to get the neck and heart to spew blood in a pressurized fashion when cut open or pierced.

That's already in -- as you can see in the dwarf raws, the neck's skin tissue and the heart tissue are assigned the MAJOR_ARTERIES tissue flag.  The "contents under pressure" thing wouldn't work for that purpose anyway -- that refers to the guts themselves being under pressure ("contents" as in the contents of the abdominal cavity), not the contents of the guts:

Quote from: Toady One
I'll do a wall of text again later, but I just wanted to clarify -- the guts themselves are under pressure and pop out (as they do in the current version), it's not the night soil potty inside that is released upon the earth.  Such potty still does not exist.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11962 on: February 06, 2010, 03:19:16 am »

the neck's skin tissue and the heart tissue are assigned the MAJOR_ARTERIES tissue flag.

Alright, cool.

not the contents of the guts.
Blood's a content, in a way, to the arteries.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11963 on: February 06, 2010, 09:05:55 am »

Gah i need to get back to my little "Raw" writing tool. Writing Raws by hand would be rather uneconomic in the next version as i see it - or does toady have a own tool for writing the new Raws?
ARe you guys going to release a raw writer?

in addition:

Do hunters have any different AI so that they will realize the difference between a deer adn an elephant?

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11964 on: February 06, 2010, 11:54:50 am »

Sorry if this has already been answered --

Do we know if the new material system will get rid of the various "fireproof wood" effects, like a wooden cage being enough to hold a fire imp, or a glass screw pump being able to pump magma? Will we need to use magma-proof components for high temp applications?

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11965 on: February 06, 2010, 12:04:36 pm »

Gah i need to get back to my little "Raw" writing tool. Writing Raws by hand would be rather uneconomic in the next version as i see it - or does toady have a own tool for writing the new Raws?
ARe you guys going to release a raw writer?

in addition:

Do hunters have any different AI so that they will realize the difference between a deer adn an elephant?

Only way they're smarter now is that they won't go out hunting with a single bolt. If you've got deadly deadly wildlife they're pretty much going to get mauled by it.

Do we know if the new material system will get rid of the various "fireproof wood" effects, like a wooden cage being enough to hold a fire imp, or a glass screw pump being able to pump magma? Will we need to use magma-proof components for high temp applications?
Actually the glass screw pump is magma proof as constructions made of glass have a higher melting point than glass somehow. You can get magma right on the walkable tile and the pump will be fine.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 12:09:25 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11966 on: February 06, 2010, 12:37:29 pm »

Actually the glass screw pump is magma proof as constructions made of glass have a higher melting point than glass somehow. You can get magma right on the walkable tile and the pump will be fine.

Yeah, I've always presumed that was a bug, and it seems like something the new materials system might fix, and force us to use metal screw pumps for magma etc.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11967 on: February 06, 2010, 12:51:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady has not messed with that stuff, because I don't think he mentioned it.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11968 on: February 06, 2010, 02:15:54 pm »

Yeah, I've always presumed that was a bug, and it seems like something the new materials system might fix, and force us to use metal screw pumps for magma etc.

glass generally has a 'melting' point of 1500 °C, which is generally hotter than magma.  silver and gold's melting point fall into to the magma range, so they might be 'magma safe' depending on the temp of the magma.  lead is a prime example of a 'metal' which clearly falls into the melted by magma category.  overall i'd expect that the temps given by toady are at least somewhat accurate, so the question remains if the change in material code results in things like magma safe wood doors and such.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11969 on: February 06, 2010, 02:27:31 pm »

I made a throwaway fort to test a layout idea for the next version, but the main thing I learned was that a waterfall mist system is simply not worth the FPS hit I get. Which is nice to know before I make a "real" fort and spend a lot of time making all the pipes and mechanics.

Or you could do what I do: Build it anyway, but include an "off" switch. It's the best of both worlds!
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.
Pages: 1 ... 796 797 [798] 799 800 ... 1065