Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631473 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11940 on: February 05, 2010, 12:32:54 pm »

It really is the reason why Child Prodogies and Super Geniuses don't rule the world :P
Well I've never heard of a prodigy of management. I don't really see how you could intuit the ways people bring down a project and that salesman type attitude that gets them to invest their time in the first place. It is one of those things that people seem to be able to do or not and getting actual experience in it is immensely expensive in terms of both time and money so figuring it out is a bit of a rare privilege.

Though you most likely don't get any prodigies of this sort because there's not really information about it available. In the form it does exist you've just got that self help book style explanation that doesn't really tell you any of what's going on.
Hrm. Well, I usually dislike assuming this about internet folk but maybe it will make more sense to say it's like getting explanations for how to approach girls. "Be confident" "just do it" and "be cocky but make a joke out of it" advice only really shows you that the person doesn't understand where your problem is.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

valcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Experience rivers.
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #11941 on: February 05, 2010, 12:42:31 pm »

Just a quick one from me, from the dev log: 
One of Zach's dwarves grew attached to his trousers.

By "grew attatched to his pants", did you mean physically or emotionally?  =)

Still doing Let's Plays, still got a gold toof. 

Adventure Mode:  The Movie!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11942 on: February 05, 2010, 01:19:10 pm »

I'm pretty sure it was emotionally.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thursday Postal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11943 on: February 05, 2010, 01:31:27 pm »

It seems like the kind of thing dwarves would do -- or maybe something the humans would do to them.

Hm, probably humans would do it to dwarves. Dwarves would probably value gold too much to waste it on prisoners, or do they? Maybe DF dwarves only truly lust after adamantine.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11944 on: February 05, 2010, 02:03:08 pm »

It seems like the kind of thing dwarves would do -- or maybe something the humans would do to them.

Hm, probably humans would do it to dwarves. Dwarves would probably value gold too much to waste it on prisoners, or do they? Maybe DF dwarves only truly lust after adamantine.
I would expect you could extract most of it easily enough what with how differently gold and flesh tend to react to wood fires. At that point if the ash didn't float to the surface for some reason you could probably just comb it out of your liquid gold.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #11945 on: February 05, 2010, 02:06:13 pm »

Hmmm well i am for owned slaves and Pit-fights. Dwarfes? Dwarfes i think should hang theyr enemys or burn them so they loose contact with the world. Much of this behavior thought has to be linked to morals, laws and religions i guess.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11946 on: February 05, 2010, 02:22:24 pm »

My dwarven pit fighters will carry around pits full of captured enemies to attack their enemies with???

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11947 on: February 05, 2010, 03:00:27 pm »

Will there be partial penetrations of armor? Like a spear piercing the breastplate but only scratching the skin? Or will it always either glance off or penetrate deeply?
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11948 on: February 05, 2010, 04:02:35 pm »

Will there be partial penetrations of armor? Like a spear piercing the breastplate but only scratching the skin? Or will it always either glance off or penetrate deeply?

Yeah, that'll happen.  One of the quotes I collected here discusses this: "The armor is all checked in order from outer to inner, then it gets at the tissue layers, altering the character of the attack as it goes."  The attack probably loses energy (or something) as it penetrates.

Do we know if, say, "Dragon bone" will have different hardness / item value / shear strength or whatever than, say, "goblin bone" ? Would making dragon bone helms be worthwhile? What about Titan or Hydra bone?

The next version allows that kind of thing, but Toady's not saying which creatures have gotten special materials:

Quote from: Heph
Speaking of unicorns what are the physical properties of theyr horn? Is it in some way extra pointy/sharp? What odd Monster-materials can we exspect?

It's going to be sort of lackluster at this point.  There are lots of critters, and lots of materials that feel kind of magical have been left alone.  There will be a few things.

Would leather from a hippo make tougher leather armor than leather from a cow? What about cave spider chitin?

Only if Toady set it up that way.  I doubt he customized the properties of hippo leather -- might be hard to find data on that kind of thing.  Chitin has a separate material template, though, so we can see that chitin will generally be tougher against cuts than leather.

Is there a way to figure this kind of thing out from the raws?

Aside from the material templates above, and the few creature raws that have been posted, not really.  Once we have our hands on the next version, then yeah, it'll be easy to tell from the raws which creatures have special materials.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:06:08 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11949 on: February 05, 2010, 04:09:34 pm »

Gah i need to get back to my little "Raw" writing tool. Writing Raws by hand would be rather uneconomic in the next version as i see it - or does toady have a own tool for writing the new Raws?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11950 on: February 05, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »

Gah i need to get back to my little "Raw" writing tool. Writing Raws by hand would be rather uneconomic in the next version as i see it - or does toady have a own tool for writing the new Raws?

I think he mentioned that he has some kind of tool, but I couldn't find a quote.  Also, the recently implemented creature variations will help a lot, although I don't think he's making heavy use of them yet (he completed the "Creature Raw Update" items before CVs existed).  We're relying on those heavily at the Ark Project (see the bottom of that post for more details from Toady about creature variations), since it's not going to be feasible to write a full raw entry for each of our thousands of creatures.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:27:40 pm by Footkerchief »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11951 on: February 05, 2010, 04:44:02 pm »

Heh yeah i was too thinking on the templates. A raw-writer would also a little tool to removed doubled entry and a checking if the raws are not bugged.

That reminds me that i wanted to add one creature too - damn expanded shifts eating my time up.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 04:46:12 pm by Heph »

Proud to be a Furry.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11952 on: February 05, 2010, 05:27:57 pm »

well, Toady has put moderate-to-extensive RAW debug-parse-checks in so he could catch his errors more easily.

Since Philosopher is gone, could you reveal his arrival condition?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:20:24 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11953 on: February 05, 2010, 09:43:29 pm »

The wait is killing me.  I lost my most recent fort to a savescum.  I wanted to see the legends entries and abandoned the fort but I forgot to rar the folder first! CURSES!!!!!!!

But now I can't bring myself to start another. The release is so close I can taste it like a fresh new can of Dr Pepper straight outta the box..... it's like torture

*shivering in the fetal position in a corner*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11954 on: February 05, 2010, 09:46:47 pm »

The wait is killing me.  I lost my most recent fort to a savescum.  I wanted to see the legends entries and abandoned the fort but I forgot to rar the folder first! CURSES!!!!!!!

But now I can't bring myself to start another. The release is so close I can taste it like a fresh new can of Dr Pepper straight outta the box..... it's like torture

*shivering in the fetal position in a corner*

I feel you. I want to play, but I feel like, if I do the next version will come out and I will have to abadon it because I really want the next version, but if I start a new fort I want to play it to the end and savor it. I am paralyzed.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Pages: 1 ... 795 796 [797] 798 799 ... 1065