Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631739 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11925 on: February 05, 2010, 05:11:03 am »

Me too!

Same.

Look above.

Quote from: Aquillion
Out of curiosity, has the issue described in this link -- the lag on the stocks menu when selecting a category with a huge number of objects -- been addressed in the latest version?

It's still busted.  I can clean it up before next time.

Didn't see this the first time through.  Awesome.  Back when I was playing Fortress Mode a lot, I had developed some kind of reflex for skipping the "Stone" section.

The raw preview for dwarves seems to lack a DAMBLOCK tag. This makes sense, what with the new combat system, but will there be anything with a similar function?

Having tougher hide. Being made of sterner stuff.

Yup, you can make skin (or scales or internal tissues or whatever) tougher in a variety of ways, and make it thicker.  You can also raise the creature's default Toughness attribute, although that probably has a narrower function now.

<gore and Assyrians>

Incidentally, since the adventurer skills stuff is coming up soon, and it'll include corpse processing as per dev_next, the grossness isn't very far off.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:12:39 am by Footkerchief »

Raging Mouse

• Bay Watcher
  • The mouse has become enraged! *DOUBLECLICK*
    • View Profile
« Reply #11926 on: February 05, 2010, 05:38:52 am »

RE: the Assyrians, they were probably propagandized into villains, yeah. My favourite gruesome death in ancient times is that of Manius Aquillius, a gold-crazy general of Rome. Poor guy got molten gold poured down his throat as punishment when he was defeated and caught. This relates to the similar practice of pouring boiling tar on top of invaders trying to scale your walls. Of course, we can already fudge up a reasonable simile.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11927 on: February 05, 2010, 05:47:53 am »

My favourite gruesome death in ancient times is that of Manius Aquillius, a gold-crazy general of Rome. Poor guy got molten gold poured down his throat as punishment when he was defeated and caught.

Crassus suffered the same fate at the hands of the Parthians, supposedly.  I wonder whether it was true in either case, but even if it's apocryphal, that kind of execution should definitely be in DF.  It seems like the kind of thing dwarves would do -- or maybe something the humans would do to them.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:49:54 am by Footkerchief »

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #11928 on: February 05, 2010, 05:54:08 am »

Dwarves would use magma to make a boiling zinc gas chamber.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11929 on: February 05, 2010, 07:27:39 am »

For anyone who hasn't noticed, 40d17 is up.  All bug reports for 40d17 should go in that thread.  Please note that there is NO NEW GAMEPLAY IN THIS RELEASE -- it's just a test of some rendering/input changes.

Dwarves would use magma to make a boiling zinc gas chamber.

Any reason for zinc in particular?  I saw a couple sources indicating the human body spontaneously combusts around 250 C, well below zinc's boiling point of 907 C, so any chamber hot enough to keep the zinc a gas would kill you with heat before the zinc itself could do anything.

Anyway, there are lots of more mundane atrocities to be explored, too:

Quote from: Footkerchief
It does make sense that unuseful teeth would just get left embedded in the skull or something.  Although someone did mention teeth strung on a necklace, which would be pretty cool trophies for the more psychotic hunters and soldiers.

Yeah, small pieces like ears and teeth are important, and hopefully I can do more with them later on. I'm just speeding through at this point.  I imagine elf ears might become popular later on, although it's currently unethical for the dwarves to do that.  Exceptions could always be made when things get nasty.

From what I've read, this has been common throughout history (right up to the present), especially in conflicts where opponents are perceived as savage/subhuman.  Skulls are popular too -- they definitely shouldn't be relegated to totems.  Human jawbone shoulder-pads, anyone? 
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:27:34 am by Footkerchief »

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11930 on: February 05, 2010, 07:49:32 am »

Talking about punishments, I was reading about this one guy who decided to put a lake in irons and then give it five hundred (or something) lashes. I laughed so hard. It's even more amusing that they sorta just lobbed the chains into the water and then whipped it. Oh, and the king watched on. Totally serious business, this lake, because a storm broke his bridge.

Also, is dat sum 40d17? I SHALL DOWNLOAD IT.

EDIT: Woh.
Played Adventurer mode first thing. I became an axewoman, human. Started off in a town, fairly normal. Talked to a priest who likes deformity (Talked about uneven pillars, haven't seen that before!) with a crossbow. Decided to let him meet my axe. In the face.

After he shot me back, and I had the flashing Bleeding! sign, the game froze. Everything was still flashing and such, but I couldn't press any button except Escape. When I selected End Game, it goes to a screen saying Ending game... and it hasn't moved since.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:08:22 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11931 on: February 05, 2010, 08:15:48 am »

For anyone who hasn't noticed, 40d17 is up.  This might be the code that gets merged into the upcoming major release, so everyone should make sure it works for them!

I wonder (while it downloads) if all the features discussed are in or not yet?
Finis sanctificat media.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11932 on: February 05, 2010, 08:17:41 am »

For anyone who hasn't noticed, 40d17 is up.  This might be the code that gets merged into the upcoming major release, so everyone should make sure it works for them!

So far, it seems pretty similar to 40d to me. I never played any of the 40d# versions, so I wouldn't know the difference... It crashed for me earlier (see previous post) but that's all I've done so far.

EDIT: Also, the icon at the top corner of the program isn't showing DF or the dwarf icon.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11933 on: February 05, 2010, 08:18:28 am »

It's purely a rendering/input update.  There is no new gameplay whatsoever.  Any release in the 40d# series won't have new gameplay.

Also, any bug reports should be posted in the 40d17 thread.  I only posted the link here to point it out to anyone who hadn't noticed.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 08:20:41 am by Footkerchief »

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11934 on: February 05, 2010, 08:21:31 am »

It's purely a rendering/input update.  There is no new gameplay whatsoever.  Any release in the 40d# series won't have new gameplay.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

And when will the new gameplay be embedded?.. (that's rhetoric question anyway)
Finis sanctificat media.

DeathOfRats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11935 on: February 05, 2010, 09:01:05 am »

And when will the new gameplay be embedded?.. (that's rhetoric question anyway)

Whenever Toady releases the new version, which will certainly not have a 40dxx designation. The dxx series, IIRC, are only a testbed for the rendering changes.

If I'm not remembering wrong, the version numbers in DF are related at least to how many core items are completed, so Toady only knows what version the next release will be.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #11936 on: February 05, 2010, 09:06:57 am »

But going back to the cat: would the corpse reappear rotten or butcherable?
New dwarven science project: get a corpse undestroyable, then butcher it repeatedly for infinite meat! Bonus if it's something large like a whale or elephant.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11937 on: February 05, 2010, 11:42:40 am »

*gets beaten to punch a few times by FKC*
Maybe we should start referring to him as just "The Colonel."

The artifact baby creating an artifact item would probably cause an overflow for the item's value, causing a money black hole that sucks away all the value of all the items in your fortress until you end up with nothing but _meat, _mugs and the entire world turns into valueless _stone that boils at 0 degrees Urist, causing the planet to disperse into a cloud of valueless freezing gas that quickly dissipates into space.

Or just cause the game to crash.  One of the two.
Naw, even prodigies only really work at an expert level (compared to masters.) It's impressive because they haven't had that lifetime to develop a skill but as they grow older they lose that advantage unless they really struggle to maintain excellence. So in this case they just kind of stay ahead and end up where anyone else that makes an artifact does.

But going back to the cat: would the corpse reappear rotten or butcherable?
New dwarven science project: get a corpse undestroyable, then butcher it repeatedly for infinite meat! Bonus if it's something large like a whale or elephant.
I would expect that rather than the item never being used up it would just pop it out again when adventurers or reclaim parties go to it's last location.

I mean these ideas are kinda sorta fun but they're starting to wear on me.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 11:47:00 am by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11938 on: February 05, 2010, 11:46:57 am »

It really is the reason why Child Prodogies and Super Geniuses don't rule the world :P

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11939 on: February 05, 2010, 12:25:35 pm »

Another few questions re: materials --

Do we know if, say, "Dragon bone" will have different hardness / item value / shear strength or whatever than, say, "goblin bone" ? Would making dragon bone helms be worthwhile? What about Titan or Hydra bone?

Would leather from a hippo make tougher leather armor than leather from a cow? What about cave spider chitin? Is there a way to figure this kind of thing out from the raws?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:28:12 pm by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy »
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 1065