Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578548 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11715 on: February 02, 2010, 01:37:33 pm »

That [CUSTOM_S] argument would be redundant if only custom workshops could get new reactions. Does that mean that we'll be able to add new reactions for the vanilla workshops as well?

I don't think it'd be redundant -- it's a key assignment, from what I can tell -- but yeah, you can add reactions to certain vanilla workshops.  Kitchen, tannery, kiln, and of course smelter.

Firemen, conceptually, are made of some wierd plasma and in the new release, and I THINK its possible to make them gaseous somehow. So, they are out [...] Gelatinous might have been a better word here than 'unsolid'.

I'm not following your reasoning.  The reason he said "unsolid" was probably to avoid specifying whether they're liquid or gaseous.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 01:39:33 pm by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11716 on: February 02, 2010, 01:46:07 pm »

That was just my opinion on the word, it really had nothing to do with the firemen thing.

People have said that they think of Firemen as bieng made of plasma or something more golem like. Its just harder to pin down because they are suppoused to be made of fire, but fire has no substance or form, yet firemen have substance and form.

Didn't Toady say some time ago that pure liquid or gaseous creatures are not really possible right now? I know its possible to have boiling metal for blood, but not sure about other tissues.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11717 on: February 02, 2010, 01:47:26 pm »

Firemen, conceptually, are made of some wierd plasma and in the new release, and I THINK its possible to make them gaseous somehow. So, they are out [...] Gelatinous might have been a better word here than 'unsolid'.
I'm not following your reasoning.  The reason he said "unsolid" was probably to avoid specifying whether they're liquid or gaseous.

If I'm remembering correctly, there are going to be four "phases" in the next update, something like: solid, liquid, gaseous and "powdery". (Maybe there was a fifth "incorporeal" phase or something for ghostly stuff, I don't recall.) I imagine that a gelatinous monster (like the famous D&D Gelatinous Cube) would be considered solid phase, just with material strength properties quite unlike those of, say, steel.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11718 on: February 02, 2010, 01:50:26 pm »

People have said that they think of Firemen as bieng made of plasma or something more golem like. Its just harder to pin down because they are suppoused to be made of fire, but fire has no substance or form, yet firemen have substance and form.

I personally imagine them as a cloud of hot embers supernaturally constrained into a vaguely humanoid shape.

tfaal

• Bay Watcher
  • 'Ello, 'ello!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11719 on: February 02, 2010, 01:54:28 pm »

"Fluid" would be the perfect word in that case, but most people think it's just a synonym for "liquid". Which is a shame, because it's an great word.
I still think that the whole fortress should be flooded with magma the moment you try dividing by zero.
This could be a handy way of teaching preschool children mathematics.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #11720 on: February 02, 2010, 02:21:10 pm »

Question:

Can a craft product be used as a building material for a custom workshop, and have the speed of the workshop based on the quality? For example, could I mod in a new craft called a "sword mold", then use that to build a casting workshop that makes swords?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11721 on: February 02, 2010, 02:22:45 pm »

Any plasma in DF would be implemented as a hot gas anyway, and it's not like the distinction matters for firemen.  They're fantasy creatures made of elemental fire in the shape of a man.  Science doesn't enter into it.

Didn't Toady say some time ago that pure liquid or gaseous creatures are not really possible right now? I know its possible to have boiling metal for blood, but not sure about other tissues.

Nope, liquid/gas creatures work.  They just can't wrestle: "I stopped wrestling for non-solid creatures until there's more of an idea of what's going on there [...]"

If I'm remembering correctly, there are going to be four "phases" in the next update, something like: solid, liquid, gaseous and "powdery". (Maybe there was a fifth "incorporeal" phase or something for ghostly stuff, I don't recall.)

No incorporeal phase that I know of, but yeah, powder is treated as a separate phase for various reasons.  You may also be able to use liquid mists -- I'm still not clear on that one.

Question:

Can a craft product be used as a building material for a custom workshop, and have the speed of the workshop based on the quality? For example, could I mod in a new craft called a "sword mold", then use that to build a casting workshop that makes swords?

Nope, and you can't set job duration as a reaction parameter either.  Duration just depends on the skill needed for the job, like in the current version.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11722 on: February 02, 2010, 02:33:31 pm »

Science doesn't enter into it.

Well at least not modern science.

Go back far enough and Fire is practically its own element :D

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11723 on: February 02, 2010, 03:04:48 pm »

The four classic elements are plenty scientific. We just call them "States of matter" now, instead of elements.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11724 on: February 02, 2010, 03:07:21 pm »

The four classic elements are plenty scientific. We just call them "States of matter" now, instead of elements.

In a sense I guess, yea. Earth=solid, air=gas, water=liquid, fire=plasma.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #11725 on: February 02, 2010, 03:13:08 pm »

I bet if we ask Toady he will tell us firemen are being hold together by quantum flux

He should seriously implement quantum flux... That'd be awesome :D

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11726 on: February 02, 2010, 03:18:09 pm »

I actually did have that question in my head but decided to hold back on it for some reason, so um, I guess I'll go and ask.

Just out of curiosity, could we see the raws for Firemen? because I wonder how you handled those.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11727 on: February 02, 2010, 04:35:44 pm »

I actually did have that question in my head but decided to hold back on it for some reason, so um, I guess I'll go and ask.

Just out of curiosity, could we see the raws for Firemen? because I wonder how you handled those.

We'll see them soon enough when the next version is released :). Rome wasn't built in a day, but I don't think people were as excited about Rome being built...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11728 on: February 02, 2010, 04:46:07 pm »

We'll see them soon enough when the next version is released :). Rome wasn't built in a day, but I don't think people were as excited about Rome being built...

It was out of curiosity since I was talking about how the firemen are kind of formless in material and yet they have form, I was also wondering about how a tissue would work as a gas. Not as a vaporized tissue, but as part of a living creature, as far as a golem is alive anyway.

Also, since ThreeToe is on a glacier, that can also mean that the 'unsolid' creatures could be made of ice and its pretty clear by now that there could be caverns inside the glaciers. On that note, someone is definetly going to mod yetis as cave 'animal'men for the next version.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11729 on: February 02, 2010, 04:57:18 pm »

I was also wondering about how a tissue would work as a gas. Not as a vaporized tissue, but as part of a living creature, as far as a golem is alive anyway.

A gas tissue would look exactly like the magma man's magma tissue:

Magma man:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Except with TISSUE_MAT_STATE:GAS instead.

Also, since ThreeToe is on a glacier, that can also mean that the 'unsolid' creatures could be made of ice and its pretty clear by now that there could be caverns inside the glaciers. On that note, someone is definetly going to mod yetis as cave 'animal'men for the next version.

Ice is unsolid?
Pages: 1 ... 780 781 [782] 783 784 ... 1065