Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3636173 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11595 on: January 31, 2010, 01:42:46 am »

@cobaltkoobold: You should still be able to force it on the DM if you use dwarf therapist or dwarf manager.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11596 on: January 31, 2010, 01:44:21 am »

Will you be able to make a caste that only apears as a noble?
If not:
Will you be able to make a noble that only appears as a particular caste?
Meh.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11597 on: January 31, 2010, 01:48:16 am »

Will you be able to make a caste that only apears as a noble?

No.  You could try to enforce it in your fortress, but other sites would have caste members wandering around as not-nobles.

Will you be able to make a noble that only appears as a particular caste?

Yes:

Quote from: Footkerchief
I was actually going for something much more basic -- whether, when defining an entity position, you can do something like... [allowing multiple castes for positions]

Ah, yeah, you're going to have a few options there.  Gender, specific caste lists, and general categories.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:55:01 am by Footkerchief »

sproingie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11598 on: January 31, 2010, 02:56:01 am »

If you're on the moon, the aforementioned 25-pound mallet could be swung 1-handed. Sure, it'd be rather heavy to handle, but without its weight, it'd be a lot easier to wield.

You could hold it one-handed, but you'd swing it awful slowly.  Anyway, it's gravity that assists most uses of a hammer (you hit down), and without it you have to supply that force yourself.  Similarly since the momentum of an upswing isn't as arrested, you'd probably wrench yourself around if you didn't connect.  Mass is the same everywhere, you don't get any more power in space than you do on earth.  Push against a 300-ton space station and it still isn't going anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 02:57:33 am by sproingie »
Toady is the man who Peter Molyneux wishes he was

Quote from: ToadyOne
dragon pus was like creamy gold. Infect and collect!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11599 on: January 31, 2010, 03:00:11 am »

I just thought of something. (something stupid, as usual, but interesting)

X-Men!

If castes have some sort of ratio of appearance (I'm pretty sure they do), we could introduce "mutants" in mods. Mutants having more arms, or superspeed, or webbing, or firebreath, or giant claws (imagine it being born... or don't), or poison touch, etc, etc. They'd be very rare, but could spice up the game nicely.

Dwarf Fortress - Fighting Forgotten Beasts with... Forgotten Dwarves?
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11600 on: January 31, 2010, 03:14:43 am »

After playing Mass Effect 2 and then Dwarf Fortress..

Will it be, at any point possible to create a Geth-like race? IE: Founding a civ deep down, and creating replicating organic machines to wage war with the surface?

They'd need "Sleep" at "Hubs" to recharge, they'd need food in the form of maintenance I guess, and I think the nobles like "System Administrator" would be amazing. Also, the caste system would be great because there'd be the destroyers, the creaters(Farmers/miners?), and the crafters.
Just an idea.

I had a similar idea about creating mind flayers that use symbiotic life forms to accomplish tasks (i suppose tyranid weapons would be a good analogy). oh yeah how likely is the ability to make living creature reactions?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11601 on: January 31, 2010, 03:16:50 am »

how likely is the ability to make living creature reactions?

Just like in the current version, it'll only work for vermin.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11602 on: January 31, 2010, 03:25:45 am »

Wait a minute... If you can use vermin for reactions and make creatures that consist of iron.
Would you be able to make a creature made of vermin?
Meh.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11603 on: January 31, 2010, 03:31:42 am »

Wait a minute... If you can use vermin for reactions and make creatures that consist of iron.

No, you can't make non-vermin creatures out of vermin, nor out of any other item.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11604 on: January 31, 2010, 03:38:16 am »

Y'know.. I know that F=mA, and E(g)=mg I believe because it's been a while.

But I don't care for all the technicalities. I just want adamantine to do more DMG than iron.

er, make weapons that rely on hardness, like swords and spears.  harder materials (as a general rule of thumb, not a constant) hold a finer edge than softer materials and thus lose less energy cutting into things.  so rely n your adamantine wielding axe dwaves instead of your adamantine wielding hammer dwarves.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11605 on: January 31, 2010, 03:44:32 am »

this is a boogeyman, it's skin is made of  XXpig tail clothXX, it's flesh and entrails are entirelly composed of repulsing vermin

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11606 on: January 31, 2010, 04:30:24 am »

If you want to do alloys i can help you with a formula:

According to doctor Ron  Lasky the formula of the density of an alloy is:

Metal A Percentage / Metal A Density + Metal B Percentage / Metal B  Density (And so on with C D E ...) = Density of alloy.

Sorry, being pedantic here, but your formula is wrong. I would guess that the RHS of the equation is 1 / Density of alloy, but as it stands there is no way that formula can be dimensionally correct.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11607 on: January 31, 2010, 06:39:29 am »

Nor is the basic idea correct.

That formula (well, the corrected one) basically assumes that the component metals don't interact, which they most definitely do. Depending on how they do, the density of the resulting alloy may be either higher or lower than what you'd expect; atoms of one metal can stick in hollows left by another, and so on.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11608 on: January 31, 2010, 08:37:45 am »

Although, if there metals are similar enough (leading to direct substitution with minimal lattice distortion), the assumption can hold sufficiently well. That being said, those are very rare cases.

Also, I just realised, for that formula to be correct (assuming assumptions may actually be assumed), the right hand side would have to be 100 / density, not the 1 / d I said before. Silly percentages adding extra terms.
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

Wavecutter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11609 on: January 31, 2010, 09:33:15 am »

It would be nice to be able to create certain real world alloys like wootz steel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wootz
We farm and kill mermaid children. Its too late to worry about political correctness.
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 1065