Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635976 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #11520 on: January 29, 2010, 10:07:03 pm »

In the position raws preview: [FLASHES]

I really hope that just means the unit tile will alternate between light/dark.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11521 on: January 29, 2010, 10:31:33 pm »

I suspect the "fix" is already in that it doesn't affect the skill of the user.  Thus ThreeToe's problems with slaughtering villagers with adamantine gear.

I think it may have been more than just skill, we don't even know what weapon ThreeToe used. We already know that an adamantine hammer won't be all that effective because it would be lightwieght.

Side note: Everyone's going to make an adamantine hammer for their Hammerer to use, it'll make "fifty stroke" sentences a light massage

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11522 on: January 29, 2010, 11:41:14 pm »

That might be the best use for HFS yet.
For they would be your masters.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11523 on: January 29, 2010, 11:48:44 pm »

In the position raws preview: [FLASHES]

I really hope that just means the unit tile will alternate between light/dark.
I've noticed that your avatar is frequently appropriate to your posts.

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11524 on: January 30, 2010, 01:58:37 am »

Urist McDorf is unhappy. Hen has been the victim of public indecency lately. He marvelled at his lack of injury lately. He was hammered lately.
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11525 on: January 30, 2010, 02:09:19 am »

I know that Adamantine is going to be light, but the way some of you are talking about the weight, are Adamantine Hammers supposed to hit as hard as empty soda bottles? I was thinking somewhat stronger than that still.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11526 on: January 30, 2010, 02:26:48 am »

I know that Adamantine is going to be light, but the way some of you are talking about the weight, are Adamantine Hammers supposed to hit as hard as empty soda bottles? I was thinking somewhat stronger than that still.
I believe Adamantium is significantly less dense than most soda bottles, but soda bottles are flexible, whereas adamantium is unyielding. I'd imagine adamantium would hurt more. It's still not doing more than some bruising, though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11527 on: January 30, 2010, 03:01:13 am »

I think what we need to do is bring some science into this...

Because of all the light things we are aware of (Syrofoam, Pillows, Pie) they are also soft and tend to break.

What happens when you put a lot of force into something light but indestructable?

Anyhow from what I can guess an Adamantine hammer will AT LEAST strike with the weight of your arm with the strength of your swing plus or minus leverage.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11528 on: January 30, 2010, 03:13:33 am »

just take the science behind a lead hammer vs. an aluminum one.  the hardness will help transfer the energy better, while the lead will add more energy to the equation, in the end the lead one is better because it gives, and thus helps to absorb the shock of impact for the user, not to mention that the larger you go the more energy the lead one will impart over the aluminum one.  of course in a military campaign you might like the aluminum one better due to the fact that you won't have to fix it as often.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11529 on: January 30, 2010, 03:26:57 am »

I wonder how far you could hit with an adamantine baseball bat.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

James.Denholm

• Bay Watcher
  • [HAS_NO_HUMOURS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11530 on: January 30, 2010, 03:39:14 am »

Boink!
Imagine a combination of power goals 44 and 45: The ruler convenes a council of the nobles to appoint you the high priest of the nearby towns. Instead of waiting for them to finish their drinking session, you walk in and crush a goblet while berating their disgusting behaviour and general incompetence.

Mr. Wallet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11531 on: January 30, 2010, 04:53:54 am »

From now on, all day every day, until this is released, I pledge to continually myself. I'm going to my whole self until you release this.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #11532 on: January 30, 2010, 04:59:39 am »

From now on, all day every day, until this is released, I pledge to continually myself. I'm going to my whole self until you release this.

Just make sure you don't accidentally your arms.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

WoolyPounds

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11533 on: January 30, 2010, 05:04:50 am »

I accidentally both arms once. I was stuck in bed for a week.

Endek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11534 on: January 30, 2010, 06:37:52 am »

Because of all the light things we are aware of (Syrofoam, Pillows, Pie) they are also soft and tend to break.

What happens when you put a lot of force into something light but indestructable?

We don't need to invent physics for the properties of adamantine here.

Carbon Fibre is pretty light and strong, and it works more or less the same way as adamantine, insofar as they are both cloth fabrics woven from fibres of their respective elements. Carbon Fibre is dipped in epoxy resin and baked until solid to give it useful form.

The strength of carbon fibre is dependent upon the direction and weave of the individual fibres in relation to the direction and type of stress placed on them. Since adamantine wafers are also woven from strands, I presume that they also derive their strength from the alignment of the fibres.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2010, 06:39:23 am by Endek »
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 1065