Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3631131 times)

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #990 on: March 14, 2009, 03:19:05 pm »

So Toady, why do you leave one or two items unfinished in one category by the time you move to the next one? That would drive me mad.

Larington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 14, 2009, 04:16:57 pm »

Its usually a mixture of other things look more exciting when you've been doing one thing for the past three days straight, some things really aren't essential and can wait a little while longer, and (objective achieved) to drive people insane.
Larington cancels doing University Assignments: Gone INSANE.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 14, 2009, 04:40:18 pm »

So Toady, why do you leave one or two items unfinished in one category by the time you move to the next one? That would drive me mad.

That is how Toady likes to work. He has even stated this in one of his interviews IIRC.  :)

Hyperion2010

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 15, 2009, 01:53:28 am »

Small, portable anvils, like the Celts used, would be nice to see too, and would make sense if they had quality caps on them (for game balance, and despite the Celts being excellent metalsmiths.).
the best blacksmith in the world won't be able to forge a plate mail if he only has a very light (less than 50kg) anvil

IRL the anvil size caps the size of the items you're able to comfortably make

if you try to make a sword on a medium anvil (100kg) you'll overwork yourself, take a huge amount of time, but you'll be able to make it

with a big anvil (200+kg) you should be able to make the sword in less than half the time it took you to make it on medium one

that's why you see anvils sitting bolted to tree stumps  -- to add weight

as such, adding size caps on anvils is realistic and would be a welcomed (by me) addition :)

At a certain point I hope toady decides to include steam/water powered industrial machines so that we can mechanize our drawven industry and do away with these silly anvils.  I mean I've seen trap setups that are more complex than a steamengine!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 15, 2009, 01:55:42 am »

That is how Toady likes to work. He has even stated this in one of his interviews IIRC.  :)

I'm exactly the same way. I need to switch things up when I work on pretty much anything creative, or I start to stall.
For they would be your masters.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #995 on: March 15, 2009, 05:01:41 am »

Quote from: SirHoneyBadger
Both books were written about 1400AD, so it makes some sense (I guess) that the styles would be similar.

Again, good character dynamics, and really interesting characters, with some seriously madcap abilities, and then they'll fight and like 3000 normal soldiers, without names, will get ganked.

The funniest/quirkiest part is that heroes in the book will quite often be portrayed specifically as being 9 feet tall, 12 feet tall, 15 feet tall, 30 feet tall, etc. And these are often just royal bodyguards and glorified sidekick types. Not the main focus of the book. Even a pair of underling badguys are like 15 feet tall. The heroic types do tend to be taller, though. On top of that, apparently the *real* giants (and demons and ogres etc.) are up North, staging a rebellion.

Sun Tzu's 'The Art of War' is a lot better for actual strategy/tactics. It was written in 600 BC, and military personnel-and even businesspeople-still read it today. It's actually a pretty interesting book, if you can deal with the nearly infinite footnotes, or just get a straightforward copy. Lots of actual examples of dynamic combat situations, and Sun himself was a pretty interesting man.

Three Kingdoms had some outlandish stuff, but it wasn't so bizarre, people were almost all normal-sized (a little ill-proportioned, sure, he he he) and mostly bereft of special powers, and there weren't so many unusual situations and they rarely impacted the overall results.  Auspicious beasts were sighted in far-flung corners during reign changes and so on but weren't involved in fights.  The heroes could fight their way out of being surrounded, but they often didn't, especially when unassisted, and tactics/strategy virtually always prevailed over brute force or individual heroics, especially later on, so it was a good middle ground I think, as a model for a game like DF.

I've read Sun Tzu, and The Art of War put forth many principles, sometimes just in lists, and it's a good reference, but it's cool to see much of it play out many times in myriad forms over a hundred years as they constantly deceive and outsmart each other (it's more useful to me in that way than, say, AoW's spy chapter).  It's true that once you get to an actual individual battles themselves, TK falls short, though, and just starts to mess around with weird names of formations that don't amount to much and it rarely discusses particulars of terrain and so on.  The two books should complement each other pretty well for the overall Army Arc.

I've read a bit of the Water Margin, and I haven't read the others.

Quote from: Tiler
A bit off the subject, but you finished reading the Romance of the Three Kingdoms?

Which power-hungry warlord was your favorite? I've always liked Cao Cao. Such a magnificent bastard.

I'm no good at picking favorite people, since I was just enjoying it as I went along.  Event-wise, the first thing that pops into my mind is when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Aqizzar
will the Appearance paragraphs cover more than just faces?  Like, if a dwarf gets a couple fingers lopped off, or is abnormally fat, will it be described?

For that matter, how does the program know where the face is?  If I put facial features on the torso, will it have to describe the whole torso?

It uses the appearance modifiers (and styles/wounds).  Right now, it doesn't think it needs to carry the burden of describing a creature, but just describing what distinguishes this individual from other individuals of the same creature/caste.  So it would describe the face on the torso bit by bit, and any other features of the torso that stand out compared to the averages, if your creature has any.  Writing up general descriptions for creatures can be handled later, but that's more in the category of writing up flavor descriptions for all of the rocks and so on.

The game doesn't currently recognize the concept of the face as a collection of parts, but most of the appearance modifiers concerning the face, so they all kind of hang together anyway.

I cannot remember... Did Toady fix the Phantom wound forever for this release?

I don't think he's fixed it yet, but that IS one of the stated motivations on dev_next for all the wounds/healthcare stuff, so it'll happen.

It's handled now, but it might return briefly and then go away again depending on what happens with healthcare (ie, whether or not there should be a lot of lasting pain -- pain currently dies away never to return).

Quote from: Kishmond
So Toady, why do you leave one or two items unfinished in one category by the time you move to the next one?

Aside from some of the things people mentioned, there are times when the dependencies run across categories.  I won't be able to finish wound descriptions until I've done some of the medical stuff, for example, and I won't be able to do some of the medical stuff until I've done more work on entity positions, so I expect that pattern to continue.  I think the underground should be more self-contained, and I think I'm starting that at the beginning of April, assuming I survive Stay Off The Internet Day on the first.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 15, 2009, 08:44:09 pm »

Small, portable anvils, like the Celts used, would be nice to see too, and would make sense if they had quality caps on them (for game balance, and despite the Celts being excellent metalsmiths.).
the best blacksmith in the world won't be able to forge a plate mail if he only has a very light (less than 50kg) anvil

IRL the anvil size caps the size of the items you're able to comfortably make

if you try to make a sword on a medium anvil (100kg) you'll overwork yourself, take a huge amount of time, but you'll be able to make it

with a big anvil (200+kg) you should be able to make the sword in less than half the time it took you to make it on medium one

that's why you see anvils sitting bolted to tree stumps  -- to add weight

as such, adding size caps on anvils is realistic and would be a welcomed (by me) addition :)

At a certain point I hope toady decides to include steam/water powered industrial machines so that we can mechanize our drawven industry and do away with these silly anvils.  I mean I've seen trap setups that are more complex than a steamengine!
Yes, some kind of automation of transport of goods will be necessery to move DF to greater awesomness. As for steam - I don't think Toady considers it fitting for the age.

strich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 16, 2009, 01:14:24 am »

Yes I could do without steam. I think there is plenty of fundamental stuff for Toady to be dedicating himself to (*ahem* mining \o/ ).

Emeralddragon2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 16, 2009, 04:11:06 am »

I've noticed toady has handled the concepts of "undead" vs "has soul", but I can't seem to find a mention of exactly how said concepts were handled.

Would someone like to enlighten my curiosity?

evktalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 16, 2009, 05:30:25 am »

I like the new health care items list. Use for soap, hospitals, chief physician appointment.. lots of new stuff to tinker with, yay!

--Eino

Awayfarer

• Bay Watcher
  • Bork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 16, 2009, 07:26:51 am »

I would like to express my approval and also to steal the 1,000th post in this thread.
--There: Indicates location or state of being.
"The ale barrel is over there. There is a dwarf in it."
--Their: Indicates possession.
"Their beer has a dwarf in it. It must taste terrible.
--They're: A contraction of the words "they are".
"They're going to pull the dwarf out of the barrel."

catfry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 16, 2009, 07:27:44 am »

'Plaster casts', a use for gypsum?

Spey

• Bay Watcher
  • Dragon mince.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 16, 2009, 07:29:48 am »

'Plaster casts', a use for gypsum?

as with many things, magma is clearly the dwarven thing to do.

im awaiting obsidian casts.
How many Dwarves does it take to change a XXlightbulbXX?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 16, 2009, 07:54:07 am »

"Nurse, prepare the patient for surgery by scrubbing him with some -hoary marmot soap-. What's his problem again?"

"Bitten by a cave spider, Surgeon General Urist."

"Hmm. A relatively minor wound. What's his occupation?"

"Fortress Guard."

"Time to amputate. Where's my +Steel battle axe+?"

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 16, 2009, 07:55:49 am »

I would like to express my approval and also to steal the 1,000th post in this thread.

Technically, you didn't steal the thousandth post.  You stole the thousandth reply ;)  I got chastized for this as well.

Toady, with the recent updates to the healthcare list, does this mean we'll actually have a doctor profession (or noble!) to go with a "hospital", or will it still be any dwarf with the Healthcare job enabled and an empty bed as a hospital?

Edit: Never mind the question about a noble!  I missed that in the block of text!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:28:28 am by Heavy Flak »
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 1065