Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3633481 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #9765 on: January 04, 2010, 01:10:32 pm »

Also, trade. Dwarves are not humans, they will never have paintings to trade.

I take issue with this statement. You do not know my dwarves. They want to trade paintings. :(
Which is fine, of course, But since underground farming can only yield one type of dye, they're going to have a hell of a time with it.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9766 on: January 04, 2010, 01:24:34 pm »

blue azulejo

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9767 on: January 04, 2010, 01:39:29 pm »

Ah yes, *that*.  I had imagined a re-writing of the current fluid dynamics.  A re-write of just how water works.  Something where hydraulics is actually represented accurately and also where it doesn't take a full year for water to flow through a channel from one side of the map to the other... oh well. 

I don't mean to imply that would be easy.  But man I would be thrilled if I heard Toady was teaming up with a fluid dynamics person to implement the ultimate hydraulics system.
Why would water without any pressure move fast?

But ya, if there was some way to get it to teleport at maybe 3 instead of 7 but stop once it was level-ish the slowly widening slopes of water wouldn't stick out as much.

Your hopes are a bit screwy though as hydraulics dudes probably don't have an especially good way of representing water in tiles like these.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9768 on: January 04, 2010, 01:44:29 pm »

I just want my military outpost where dwarves actually stand post!

*grabs the bit and starts chomping*
Demon of Darkness

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9769 on: January 04, 2010, 02:07:25 pm »

Ah yes, *that*.  I had imagined a re-writing of the current fluid dynamics.  A re-write of just how water works.  Something where hydraulics is actually represented accurately and also where it doesn't take a full year for water to flow through a channel from one side of the map to the other... oh well. 

I don't mean to imply that would be easy.  But man I would be thrilled if I heard Toady was teaming up with a fluid dynamics person to implement the ultimate hydraulics system.
Why would water without any pressure move fast?

But ya, if there was some way to get it to teleport at maybe 3 instead of 7 but stop once it was level-ish the slowly widening slopes of water wouldn't stick out as much.

Your hopes are a bit screwy though as hydraulics dudes probably don't have an especially good way of representing water in tiles like these.
That and Toady, being a mathematic professor, probably understand hydraulic sufficiently.  The only difficulty facing him is HOW to implement hydraulic into Dwarf Fortress without the FPS being shot to hell.
Remember, one of the most difficult problem for computer to simulate is fluid dynamics (if you try to do it realistically).
Though I think the current issue with Dwarf Fortress' fluid dynamic is that water seems to have a really high viscosity (which will result in water flowing really slow down a channel).  Of course, this may be an artifact of the fluid being represented in 1/7 chunks (low viscosity fluid will spread to a thin film rapidly, while tracking it in 1/7 chunk inherently slows it's rate of spread).
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Spiders Everywhere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9770 on: January 04, 2010, 02:59:57 pm »

I don't know, do you just designate the entire fortress for engraving for the hell of it?

...I like engravings...

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9771 on: January 04, 2010, 03:00:49 pm »

Looks really close to done :o

I want to be able to poison my dwarves, that will be possible right?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9772 on: January 04, 2010, 03:02:44 pm »

Looks really close to done :o

Does he even have poisoning weapons in place? If he doesn't then the answer is no.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9773 on: January 04, 2010, 03:04:17 pm »

I don't remember if you can poison weapons (though I think you can transfer contaminants from surface to surface with wrestling, so it's getting closer?), but if you just want to poison your dwarves, just tell them to go and chase around some sort of creature that spits venom.  They'll get poisoned sooner or later.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 03:05:55 pm by Wirevix »
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9774 on: January 04, 2010, 03:07:33 pm »

I think I already outlined a process for coating weapons. A death chamber can be made by the same technique too.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9775 on: January 04, 2010, 03:19:15 pm »

As I've already said, I LIKE the idea of removing an engraved wall, and it being a giant hunk of engraving that can be placed somewhere else. Of course, it would destroy the wall as well.

An extension to this idea would be if you can order solid blocks to be made into similar engravings, that can be placed around in exactly the same manner as removed engravings.

Though, to address the "WHY DIDN'T YOU PLAN AHEAD?!" issue, I think it'd be fair for such a delicate process to take 10-20 times longer than deconstructing something normally.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9776 on: January 04, 2010, 03:32:37 pm »

Guys.  There hasn't been anything going on in H1N1 land worth talking about, sure, but that does not mean the entire Suggestion board needs to be compacted into this thread, again.  How many different ways can removing and building with engravings be rehashed, and why it being done here?  Again?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9777 on: January 04, 2010, 03:34:41 pm »

Thanks Sean, I haven't been reading this forum, and forgot to search...
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9778 on: January 04, 2010, 03:40:06 pm »

Not with food.  You can poison them by keeping hazardous creatures around, or with dust from cave-ins (you may have to mod the rock material to be poisonous, depending on whether Toady already did that or not), or with nasty tricks like making their own blood a contact poison, etc.

I think I already outlined a process for coating weapons. A death chamber can be made by the same technique too.

I missed this too, got a link?

Guys.  There hasn't been anything going on in H1N1 land worth talking about, sure, but that does not mean the entire Suggestion board needs to be compacted into this thread, again.  How many different ways can removing and building with engravings be rehashed, and why it being done here?  Again?

Yeah, I don't know either.  I already mentioned that there's an active Suggestions topic about it right now, but I guess it's no longer cool to discuss stuff there or something.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9779 on: January 04, 2010, 03:42:06 pm »

he, sean mirrsen, outlined a process for coating weapons...
Pages: 1 ... 650 651 [652] 653 654 ... 1065