Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578568 times)

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #945 on: March 12, 2009, 06:02:16 pm »

Which power-hungry warlord was your favorite?

I always liked the Sun family. Sun Ce, Sun Jian, Sun Quan. I thought they were a nice balance between Liu Bei's idealism and Cao Cao's ruthless pragmatism. AND they were the longest lasting of the three kingdoms before the Jin destroyed them.

Funny spoiler:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I too am very glad to her Rot3k is being used as reference. It's got a bit of everything. Also, first set of chapters are rather amusing to me because whenever the women upset the men, they threw them out the window. It happened at least twice in the first 15 chapters or so...
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: March 12, 2009, 06:44:31 pm »

Well one thing that could be interesting in Romance of the Three Kingdoms is how characters are potrayed

As someone mentioned... Despite looking like a freek by today's standards... Lui Bei was considered rather handsom (He is like a monkey man with HUGE ears)

People have also told me that Lui Bei was pretty much the "Hero" of book and that Cao Cao was often the villain. Despite the fact that Lui Bei was a much more cruel leader. This could be because Cao Cao overthrew the Han though.

Anyhow my favorite Power Hungry Warlord was the leader of the Yellow Turban Rebellion... despite the fact that the book makes it VERY blunt that he is supposed to be nothing but evil (Of COURSE he would use mystic arts...)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: March 12, 2009, 07:12:47 pm »

Here's the only site I could find that offers the entire text (as far as I know) of the (Brewitt-Taylor translation of the) ROTK. Ignore the top 2-3rds of the page, the book itself is at the very bottom, with links to all 120 chapters (I didn't check every single chapter, but I scanned quickly through a selection of them, and it does seem complete.).

http://www.yellowbridge.com/general/invoke.php?u=http://threekingdoms.com

And here's an online text of Sun Tzu--I looked it over, but I haven't compared it to my own copy, so not 100% on the fidelity:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/2442486/Sun-Tzu-The-Art-of-War-PDF

Here's the summarized/abridged wikiversion of the Fengshen Yanyi (Investiture of the Gods):

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Category:Chapters_of_Fengshen_Yanyi

Here's a link to a site where someone's in the process of doing a free English translation-Note, there doesn't currently seem to be one, online. I figure since it's an independent project, people here might want to drop by and offer their support:

http://fengshentranslation.blogspot.com/2006/08/nerdy-fengshenhoushin-translation-blog.html

Also, incase anyone's interested, here's the full translated text (as far as I know of 'Dream of the Red Chamber', another of the four great classical Chinese novels (apparently considered to be the best):

http://fengshentranslation.blogspot.com/2006/08/nerdy-fengshenhoushin-translation-blog.html

And the third novel, Journey to the West:

http://www.chine-informations.com/fichiers/jourwest.pdf

I wasn't able to find a copy of 'The Water Margin' (the fourth of the novels) in English, online, but if I do I'll post it here.

For they would be your masters.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: March 12, 2009, 07:29:57 pm »

Hehe the more i see of toadys plans the more i think that DF one day will be a own Category of Fantasyliterature. Thousands of of parsed and automatic formulated worldhistorys as ebooks.

1.50 dollars per Copy with 50 cents going to toady = win.

To come to the heatdamage and weapons.

Maybe toady could make raws for weapons like for bodys. So a sword gets Pommel, grip, crossguard, Long-edge, short-edge, point [...] (Projectiles Tip, shaft, feathering).
This way you could not only target different parts off a weapon for decor (the fireimpbones on the edge f.e.) you can also associate different damagetypes to different parts.

Since the dwarf would grasp the undecorated grip he wouldnt get burned.

Composite weapon construction could be done in a simpler manner;

Sword: Haft/Blade (core metal) + Grip (optional; leather)
Spear: Haft (wood or metal) + tip (metal or stone)
Axe: Haft (wood or metal) + blade (metal)
Mace: Haft (wood, bone or metal) + Head (Optional, accounts for bone clubs/nightsticks; metal, stone)
Hammer: Haft (wood or metal) + Head (metal or stone)
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: March 12, 2009, 07:33:47 pm »

Composite weapon construction could be done in a simpler manner;

Sword: Haft/Blade (core metal) + Grip (optional; leather)
Spear: Haft (wood or metal) + tip (metal or stone)
Axe: Haft (wood or metal) + blade (metal)
Mace: Haft (wood, bone or metal) + Head (Optional, accounts for bone clubs/nightsticks; metal, stone)
Hammer: Haft (wood or metal) + Head (metal or stone)

That would work well, but composite weapons probably ought to wait until partial stacks are in place. Otherwise it makes making weapons very material-heavy. As it is having the handle of an obsidian short sword take up as much wood as an entire door is kinda silly. Although I suppose buckets and such have the same problem.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: March 12, 2009, 08:29:31 pm »

Yes sure but i had for example the different kinds of Sword in mind:

What i had in mind:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:36:10 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: March 12, 2009, 09:23:17 pm »

I love the part where you hard code the japanese weapon doing 2.5x damage.

Question for Toady (til next time I guess) - will the Appearance paragraphs cover more than just faces?  Like, if a dwarf gets a couple fingers lopped off, or is abnormally fat, will it be described?

For that matter, how does the program know where the face is?  If I put facial features on the torso, will it have to describe the whole torso?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: March 12, 2009, 09:32:04 pm »

:P sure the Katana got 250 Slash but the longsword has 2 Times Bludgeon and Slash as well as a pierce attack and 3 parts to block with.

edit: damn i forgot that we have now a shearvalue (etc) for edges
« Last Edit: March 12, 2009, 09:35:05 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: March 12, 2009, 09:33:31 pm »

I'd prefer damage to be function of material, construction, and quality, rather than hardcoded at all.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: March 12, 2009, 09:37:12 pm »

Yes you are right i forgot that we had a entire new material system too. I edit the last 2 posts of me a bit.

Proud to be a Furry.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:45 pm »

I'd prefer damage to be function of material, construction, and quality, rather than hardcoded at all.

I second that, as long as the length and shape of a given weapon is taken into consideration, as well as the *type* of edge/point, not just their respective sharpness.

I suspect that's what Aqizzar means by "construction", but I'd like to clarify my own thoughts on the subject.
For they would be your masters.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: March 12, 2009, 09:44:20 pm »

I second that too.

Well as said it was only a idea how weapons of the same type (i.E. Swords) could look in the raws. If we altogether can get out a better system it would be nice.

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: March 12, 2009, 10:39:01 pm »

Armok I, from what I've read, had a full weapon component system.  It sounds as though such a system might make its way into DF later on.

Also in case anybody forgot from earlier in the thread, weapons DO have multiple attack modes already:

The weapons all have multiple attack types now, but it's really a baby baby system until the combat arc.  I'm not sure there really be used at all this time around (I just needed a replacement for what was there).  The sword has a thrust/slash/flat blade/pommel whack associated for example, but I don't think it'll do much of anything with AI/interface them, and since items don't currently have parts or multiple materials, there just isn't a lot going on yet.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: March 12, 2009, 11:14:30 pm »

I cannot remember... Did Toady fix the Phantom wound forever for this release?

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: March 12, 2009, 11:16:06 pm »

What a bearded elf may look like

(i'm so sorry)
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 1065