Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635768 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #8070 on: December 06, 2009, 04:11:18 pm »

The problem is however that Toady likely doesn't have real information on a lot of these other kinds of bones

How strong are hoves, Tusks, teeth, Chitin, Fibrous shell, Turtle Shell, Hide (Rhino), Lizard Leather, and all that?

At least I assume so by many of his extrapolations that he put in the raws. "I don't know how strong *Blank* is so I used bone"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: December 06, 2009, 04:17:40 pm »

Taking the thread creation time into account...  almost exactly 0.33 views per second, or one view every 3 seconds. Wowsers.

Wait, I have 504xxx views in 319 days, which only comes out to 1.1 views per minute on average.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 04:19:28 pm by Footkerchief »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: December 06, 2009, 04:21:28 pm »

Surprising only in thinking of using that...keratin's tough(hard to damage and shatter -elastic, but high elastic limit, and high compression elasticity coefficient) and fairly tough, at least.

Don't suppose you'd know about chitin, as that's the other big one?

I think views is probably quadratic on viewers at least, though..

The problem is that, in practice, these materials can be quite different.

There are different forms of keratin, for instance, and chitin as a material needs to be infused with various stuff in order to be hard and durable. Picture a caterpillar's exoskeleton (squishy) vs. that of a spider vs. that of a crab.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: December 06, 2009, 04:23:29 pm »

Id personally would think that Giant Insect shell would be rather hard since it is being used as a buffer between itself and the elements.

Though I could be wrong.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: December 06, 2009, 04:24:52 pm »

for bones/teeth, it's the structural hardness that'd be tricky to find out( for, say, bird bones.) But yeah, dunno how you're gonna find out how strong carp leather is..

At least with the non-earth-based ones he isn't going to have that investigative nightmare, though.

...I think that chitin requires "tanning" in 40d already.

G-flex: Isn't a crab's shell thicker than a spider (not a spider's carapace, a spider) anyway?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: December 06, 2009, 04:28:16 pm »

It is, but the composition is probably different too.

Quote from: Wikipedia
In its unmodified form, chitin is translucent, pliable, resilient and quite tough. In arthropods, however, it is often modified, becoming embedded in a hardened proteinaceous matrix, which forms much of the exoskeleton. In its pure form it is leathery, but when encrusted in calcium carbonate it becomes much harder.[1] The difference between the unmodified and modified forms can be seen by comparing the body wall of a caterpillar (unmodified) to a beetle (modified).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: December 06, 2009, 04:30:22 pm »

Taking the thread creation time into account...  almost exactly 0.33 views per second, or one view every 3 seconds. Wowsers.

Wait, I have 504xxx views in 319 days, which only comes out to 1.1 views per minute on average.
Huh. Must've pressed a wrong button on the calculator somewhere. Recounted again, comes out as 0,018291321207341378262217261765148 views per second. Oh well. 1 per minute is still a lot.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

effigyoffaith

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: December 06, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »

I like that new craft item, the figurine of cave spiders. It will be lots of fun when we can order them to be of specific thing just like the statues.

toiski

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: December 06, 2009, 04:53:38 pm »

I like that new craft item, the figurine of cave spiders. It will be lots of fun when we can order them to be of specific thing just like the statues.
Yeah! I was totally going to say that.
Are different-shaped figurines a new thing? I haven't noticed that on anything in my fortress.
If it's new, does that mean we're also getting different-shaped statues in this next release?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: December 06, 2009, 04:57:17 pm »

Yeah! I was totally going to say that.
Are different-shaped figurines a new thing? I haven't noticed that on anything in my fortress.
If it's new, does that mean we're also getting different-shaped statues in this next release?

It was a spurious item Toady knocked out a while ago.  He never mentioned being able to order specific items, and I'm pretty sure that much is being put off for later.  For now, it looks like they'll work the way engravings do, at least as far as what gets made.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Roxorius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: December 06, 2009, 05:22:01 pm »

It was a spurious item Toady knocked out

I do not think that word means what you think it means...

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: December 06, 2009, 06:45:53 pm »

I do not think that word means what you think it means...

Probably meant spur of the moment.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Ryan1711

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: December 06, 2009, 08:39:39 pm »

That isn't the correct way of using, the above are correct. If you completely don't understand what I'm about to ask, no sweat...but the way you used the word made me come out of lurking to ask this.

Are you an (ex) Totsean?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: December 06, 2009, 08:44:02 pm »

That isn't the correct way of using, the above are correct.

But if it doesn't mean spur-of-the-moment, what DOES it mean? Sounds like it should.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: December 06, 2009, 08:51:51 pm »

But if it doesn't mean spur-of-the-moment, what DOES it mean? Sounds like it should.

I hope you were kidding, but for anyone whose fascist dictators blocked Google or whatever:

spurious   /spj'ʊəriəs/
      Synonyms:
          o adjective: false, sham, counterfeit, bogus, mock, phony, phoney, dummy, supposititious, fake, artificial
          o Something that is spurious seems to be genuine, but is false. ADJ ADJ-GRADED usu ADJ n disapproval
                + He was arrested in 1979 on spurious corruption charges.
                + Quite a lot of allegations of misjustice are spurious.
          o A spurious argument or way of reasoning is incorrect, and so the conclusion is probably incorrect. ADJ ADJ-GRADED usu ADJ n disapproval
                + ...a spurious framework for analysis.
                + The justification of this chart is entirely spurious.
                + spuriously ADV-GRADED ADV adj ADV with v
                      # These figures were often spuriously computed by selecting particularly favorable sample groups.
                      # ...a spuriously scientific book.

Now please end this line of discussion.
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 1065