Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3635931 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7965 on: December 05, 2009, 02:28:19 pm »

hot damn that elephant has huge lungs and intestines. Can't wait to see how the balances will work out. I will also be interested in making hunt/butchery more useful...

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7966 on: December 05, 2009, 02:31:53 pm »

Catgut for Fiddles.

Arkose: Not mere brains...
This is a stack of 20 Head cheese. The ingredients are minced pig brains, minced pig feet, minced pig tongue, and finely minced pig heart.
Then again, pigs don't exist in DF yet..
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7967 on: December 05, 2009, 02:49:55 pm »

Catgut for Fiddles.

Arkose: Not mere brains...
This is a stack of 20 Head cheese. The ingredients are minced pig brains, minced pig feet, minced pig tongue, and finely minced pig heart.
Then again, pigs don't exist in DF yet..

Not in vanilla. There are several mods out there that all add pigs, as well as other farm animals.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7968 on: December 05, 2009, 02:58:16 pm »

hot damn that elephant has huge lungs and intestines. Can't wait to see how the balances will work out. I will also be interested in making hunt/butchery more useful...

It makes some sense since Elephants are big, and the intestines would be because they are herbivores, I think thats why anyways. The heart seems rather small though.

A whale tougne would be HUGE.

Organs from butchering!  Yes.  And it's all adjusted for relsizes too!  That's incredibly awesome.

Interesting how the liver comes out chopped, and I'm guessing the "nervous tissue" (from the spine?) and cartilage are going to be further dealt with, or eliminated.  Also, cartilage should probably be "gristle," insofar as it remains.

Yea, I thought that whoever did the butchery must have done it with real finesse or something because nervous tissue is pretty fragile.

I would say it probably is from the spine.

Whoever said that we won't be able to make anything out of ivory, I have occasionally seen hippo ivory among stuff that merchants bring. So I believe we will be able to do so. Never seen anything made from 'horn' though, so I could be wrong.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7969 on: December 05, 2009, 03:04:08 pm »

I just had some traders show up with a rope reed bag decorated with superior quality elk horn.
Elk are the only currently [HORN] critters
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7970 on: December 05, 2009, 03:16:07 pm »

I just had some traders show up with a rope reed bag decorated with superior quality elk horn.
Elk are the only currently [HORN] critters

Could explain why I haven't seen anything with 'horn'. I usually get hippo ivory in the form of ivory crafts. Even then, its pretty rare.

So, I guess the code is there, its just that critters don't drop them right now. Of course though, once it is confirmed that we can make stuff out of them (rather than popping up as trade items), all creatures which have tusks (except maybe warthogs, but even then they would be of lesser value) would get the [IVORY] tag and all antlered and horned creatures (deer and kin, antelopes, gazelle, elk, and unicorns) would get the [HORN] tag. Also, I remember when he showed a preview of the profile description with the description of how they look and more, there was a mention or two of horse hoof, so we may have that one as well.

With the castes, we should be able to make only the male creatures have horns or tusks where valid.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7971 on: December 05, 2009, 03:19:03 pm »

I must say that I'm amused by the dwarves' ability to extract the nervous tissue from the rest of the flesh.

Dwarves are precise.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7972 on: December 05, 2009, 03:23:43 pm »

Whoever said that we won't be able to make anything out of ivory, I have occasionally seen hippo ivory among stuff that merchants bring. So I believe we will be able to do so. Never seen anything made from 'horn' though, so I could be wrong.
They also have stuff decorated with stone, mind you.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7973 on: December 05, 2009, 03:27:44 pm »

Yea....

You know, shouldn't animal dissection (normal, not small) go in tandem with butchery or is it already effectively there? Just a thought.

Anyways, I just checked and Elephants, Walruses, and Warthogs already have the ivory tag, but I've never really seen any ivory from anything else besides hippos. Of course though I don't usually check the details of all trade items so there could have been a couple decorated with Elephant or Warthog ivory.

@Time Kitten: I meant as far as crafts go, not decorations, and you can decorate stuff with stone too in dwarf mode.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 03:29:56 pm by smjjames »

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7974 on: December 05, 2009, 03:31:45 pm »

Of course, elephants are a little harder to kill now

DWARF FORTRESS: RETURN OF THE KILLER ELEPHANTS

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #7975 on: December 05, 2009, 03:56:19 pm »

Of course, elephants are a little harder to kill now

DWARF FORTRESS: RETURN OF THE KILLER ELEPHANTS

It was necessary, because Carp as Toady said are no longer Carp.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7976 on: December 05, 2009, 04:11:31 pm »

@Time Kitten: I meant as far as crafts go, not decorations, and you can decorate stuff with stone too in dwarf mode.

No, you can't. Well, except for strange moods, but those go against normal rules anyway.

Also, just because ivory/horn is an acceptable decoration material doesn't mean that the workshops will be set up to handle it.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7977 on: December 05, 2009, 04:20:52 pm »

No, you can't. Well, except for strange moods, but those go against normal rules anyway.

Also, just because ivory/horn is an acceptable decoration material doesn't mean that the workshops will be set up to handle it.

I was talking about using them for crafting purpouses, not decorations. I was trying to say that now that ivory and horn are now available as drops (or just ivory? Toady didn't say anything about horn) and the fact that they show up with merchants sometimes (and yes I know the merchants don't follow the rules exactly sometimes), that they may be useable in the game. Toady didn't say specifically what was useable (most of the organs probably), so I'm trying to be openminded here.

avari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7978 on: December 05, 2009, 04:29:35 pm »

The largest oddity for me to see on the list was that Nervous Tissue was extracted... I don't know if that is technically possible for that time period, or at least desirable.

That struck me as odd too. As the brain is listed separately, the extracted nervous tissue would basically contain the spinal cord and the peripheral nerves. I think you would need a very skilled butcher indeed to separate the nerves from all the other tissue which they are embedded in. Also I guess the butcher would have to be more than a little odd himself to bother going through the trouble :D

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7979 on: December 05, 2009, 04:32:28 pm »

Would elephant tusks be useable in spike traps? I guess they would sort of go up and rotate a bit because they are curved.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 1065