Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3637536 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #7005 on: November 18, 2009, 02:53:32 pm »

You know, I think a more interesting question may be
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7006 on: November 18, 2009, 02:57:30 pm »

Temptation for questions growing :P

Anyhow one issue you will find Cruxador is that access to these resources will be continuously dangerous. Highly rewarding! But they carry equal increasing risk.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7007 on: November 18, 2009, 03:11:53 pm »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7008 on: November 18, 2009, 03:17:41 pm »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7009 on: November 18, 2009, 03:28:59 pm »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 03:31:00 pm by Cruxador »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7010 on: November 18, 2009, 03:40:33 pm »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7011 on: November 18, 2009, 04:02:01 pm »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 04:05:10 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7012 on: November 18, 2009, 04:07:56 pm »

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7013 on: November 18, 2009, 04:13:53 pm »

and now I soooo want one.
Onlookers getting happy thoughts as if attending a stadium event could be pulled off by just making it a modified version of party but the stadium set up implies a multi-level room so there is pathing separation between the combat and the onlookers so that would be a ways away if ever intended.

Hmm. yeah that is mostly how I've built my arenas as well.
No elevation restrictions in cagefights though! :D
i.e.
Code: [Select]
     @ @ 
    #######
    #     # @
   @#  @  #
    # E   #@
    #######
      @         

@ = dwarf
E = elf (opponent)
# = upright iron bars or wallgrates.

Urist McSpectator cancels spectate: Interrupted by Elf GladiatorxN
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7014 on: November 18, 2009, 05:23:48 pm »

Toady's sleeping will get worse the colder it gets.

Can't speak for him but yeah, I'm having to crank my own sleeping schedule back so that I get enough sun to not feel like crap.

Interesting. I prefer the winter. It's summer over here now, and my sleep is suffering as a result. Heat keeps me awake until heat exhaustion hits, and then I oversleep.

Anyhow one issue you will find Cruxador is that access to these resources will be continuously dangerous. Highly rewarding! But they carry equal increasing risk.
Yeah, I think the possibility of re-walling will pretty much dispel any such risk. It'll just mean that poking around searching for the stuff may be a hassle.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7015 on: November 18, 2009, 05:40:04 pm »

Toady's sleeping will get worse the colder it gets.

Can't speak for him but yeah, I'm having to crank my own sleeping schedule back so that I get enough sun to not feel like crap.

Interesting. I prefer the winter. It's summer over here now, and my sleep is suffering as a result. Heat keeps me awake until heat exhaustion hits, and then I oversleep.

Me too. Fortunately winter has begun here, so I do exercise, walk everywhere and don't look so out of place in my trenchcoat :D.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7016 on: November 18, 2009, 05:50:29 pm »

Yeah, I think the possibility of re-walling will pretty much dispel any such risk

Not entirely but definately a lot of the continuous risk unless you chose to explore further.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7017 on: November 18, 2009, 05:52:10 pm »

Yeah, I think the possibility of re-walling will pretty much dispel any such risk

Not entirely but definately a lot of the continuous risk unless you chose to explore further.

You'll still have to clean it out the first time, and then fend off monsties while building the wall.

And we have examples of the animalmen riding flying mounts, so it might be quite difficult to entirely wall off your fort.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7018 on: November 18, 2009, 06:43:38 pm »

Toady, are the worlds generated by DF meant to be spherical or are they random? Your comment about worlds currently only having one pole made me wonder.

They are flat. Although rivers do enter and exit the map along with edge oceans.

You may be confusing the religion spheres, which are currently limited to the gods, HFS, demons (not the HFS ones, the ones that control demon civs), and to an extent the good and evil regions. It will be expanded in the next release.

Ah, yeah, I probably shouldn't have used the term spherical alone because I can see how it'd cloud my question. I mean does he intend in the future to have worlds be spherical planets as we know them or will they be randomized to some extent. It's been said that DF will act as a quasi-fantasy-story generator and if I think back to most fantasy stories I've read they only provide you with a snapshot of the region(s) where the story is taking place while rarely bothering to define the whole world. So in a way DF is providing a map a lot like a fantasy novel would. You don't know how the world continues on further past the edges of the map you've been provided, whether it's spherical or a giant cosmic table top with an edge you can fall off of.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7019 on: November 18, 2009, 07:02:40 pm »

Mostly it's no fun to fall of the edge, but you get such a great view of the elephants.

I for one hope that the cosmology of the Dwarf Fortress universe(s) gets developed a little more. I imagine that even the structure of the world could be variable; In some, the world is a flat plain, in others, it's a curled hoop, or a sphere, or an inverted sphere, or a cube who's edges are cliffs as tall as the world is wide, or literally soil clinging to the crags of the enormous round shell of a giant vomit blob creature. The gameplay effects would be subtle; A toroidal world would have no pole, but only another way around...

This could go along with the random poetry/music generator; a creation story generator.

"Urist McGod slayed the Heron of the Windyness of Dawn, and from it's entrails made the first Dwarf. But the Demon Wumblok the Shaft of Slime stole the secret of creation from Urist, and created Kobolds..."

Something like that could easily come from a random generator and still be twice a realistic as some of some certain real creation stories...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 ... 466 467 [468] 469 470 ... 1065