Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3623504 times)

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6660 on: November 11, 2009, 02:32:52 pm »

What will the functional difference between a war hammer and a mace be in the new combat system aside from using a different skill?

Weapons have many more parameters now, so there should be some subtle differences.  Hammers probably have a smaller area on their striking surfaces, at least.

I was hoping for some elaboration beyond "there are some new differences."

Eventually, I would think if weapons ever get broken out to the raws we could start seeing some real variation in weapons.  As far as I have heard so far, both in current and upcoming releases, the difference between a mace and a war hammer are mostly in name and skill used.  The extent to which this is inaccurate is what I am curious about.  I am thankful for what you do Footkerchief in attempting to parse and answer some of the torrent of questions directed at Toady.  However, I think only he can answer a technical question like this unless it has already explained somewhere.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6661 on: November 11, 2009, 02:51:17 pm »

Wow, yeah, arena mode, that's pretty cool. And I'm loving the fortress mode combat logs.

But ...seriously? You guys are gonna dive into the arena before playing the actual game, with all its new features that have taken over a year to develop? That's kinda sad.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6662 on: November 11, 2009, 02:55:16 pm »

It will be the perfect opener.

"To commemorate this monumental release, we will now watch a dwarven champion smash 50 goblins and a dragon into tiny pieces"
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6663 on: November 11, 2009, 03:07:27 pm »

Cacame vs Morul vs Ironblood vs Egnun

:o
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6664 on: November 11, 2009, 03:09:02 pm »

Does starting Arena Mode from a world mean that we will be able to pull specific historical figures from that world into the arena?
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6665 on: November 11, 2009, 03:17:04 pm »

I've noticed that there is a date in the upper right-hand corner of one of the sceenshots, will running Arena Mode advance the world you chose?

I think that is more equivalent to a timestamp and the arena uses a timeline that is separate from the actual Fort/Adventure mode world.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6666 on: November 11, 2009, 03:26:43 pm »

Wow, yeah, arena mode, that's pretty cool. And I'm loving the fortress mode combat logs.

But ...seriously? You guys are gonna dive into the arena before playing the actual game, with all its new features that have taken over a year to develop? That's kinda sad.

I don't quite get it either, but people play for different reasons.  I probably won't even open Arena Mode until I've crash-and-burned a couple fortresses and adventurers.

Does starting Arena Mode from a world mean that we will be able to pull specific historical figures from that world into the arena?

Nope.  When you pick a world, that's just to tell it where to get raws from, since each world gets its own copy of the raws now, in addition to the primary raws in raw/objects.  This means you can run different mods (in different worlds) at the same time with minimal hassle, and upload modded saves more easily.  Toady mentioned this in passing last year: "made a region's raw files reside inside of the region save folders."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:30:21 pm by Footkerchief »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6667 on: November 11, 2009, 04:46:46 pm »

Once we get over the sheer gore of the fights of ages, we'll start gawping at the new features (which all sound awesome)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

finesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6668 on: November 11, 2009, 04:48:36 pm »

Raws are stored with the worlds now

This is cool, people will be able to share worlds much more easily now.

While we're on the topic of splitting things out into separate stuff, when you merge the new version with the 40d# stuff - would it be possible to split macro's out of the interface file into separate macro files?. Possibly even in a /data/macro folder.

People could share macro's then, and transfer them to new versions when they are released easily.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6669 on: November 11, 2009, 05:00:39 pm »

While we're on the topic of splitting things out into separate stuff, when you merge the new version with the 40d# stuff - would it be possible to split macro's out of the interface file into separate macro files?. Possibly even in a /data/macro folder.

People could share macro's then, and transfer them to new versions when they are released easily.

Init.txt could use some splitting up too.  At a minimum, the init color settings should get their own file, insofar as those have a future at all.

Oh, that raises a question: Will the next version display proper material colors for all items?  In last year's raws preview, mineral raws still had a DISPLAY_COLOR tag, but that seems seriously obsolete.  I did find a dev log reference (several weeks before the preview) to "color/symbol stuff for items/buildings made from materials," so I'm not sure what the deal is.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 05:09:51 pm by Footkerchief »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6670 on: November 11, 2009, 06:42:23 pm »

I like the way the announcements look... It  Looks like you can selected a line and [z]oom to where it happened... Which is cool...

Ten kobolds in copper armour and rusty copper knives.
Vs.
20 dark gnomes... 
Who will win?
More importantly, will they manage to chug an entire fortress' supply of booze before the two sides get close enough to fight?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6671 on: November 11, 2009, 07:06:42 pm »

Wow, there goes Aqizzar, selfishly delaying development yet again.

You could not fathom the glee I'm feeling right now.
FWIW I see that the list post did get edited.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6672 on: November 11, 2009, 07:25:02 pm »

What's with "Inorganic Stone Floor"? Will every stone floor or item now say "Inorganic"?
My bet is it is a generic placeholder, instead of the standard "rock" we used to get.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6673 on: November 11, 2009, 07:56:01 pm »

What I meant when I said I was going to start with arena mode, I meant I was just going to test some awesome things I couldn't in the game. Non-berserk elf traders versus your dwarves, with a dragon breathing acid, providing carnage to both sides, anyone?

The new features will be like my main course to the bread bowl. You get awesomely excited when the bread comes, because you are hungry, but it just doesn't compare to the main dish.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #6674 on: November 11, 2009, 07:57:58 pm »

I'm excited about it for the modding benefits. I have a lot of ideas for the new version, and being able to test them out quickly is going to save me a ton of time.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 443 444 [445] 446 447 ... 1065