Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3621051 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6645 on: November 11, 2009, 10:05:23 am »

Arena!  Now I know the first thing I'll be doing.

Massive battles anyone?!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6646 on: November 11, 2009, 10:24:44 am »

Poor little Dark gnome.

He never had a chance.

First impressions: the combat reports seem really quite good, and even a little bit coherent.

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6647 on: November 11, 2009, 11:24:27 am »

I like the way the announcements look... It  Looks like you can selected a line and [z]oom to where it happened... Which is cool...

Ten kobolds in copper armour and rusty copper knives.
Vs.
20 dark gnomes... 
Who will win?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6648 on: November 11, 2009, 11:31:12 am »

I know I'm gonna spend hours just playing around with arena mode before I start a new fortress, I just know it.

20 hammerdwarves vs 20 humans with mauls vs Cacame Awemedinade.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6649 on: November 11, 2009, 11:31:44 am »

Everyone has their own dreams for what Toady will unveil in the next version (or couple of versions).  I, personally, am mostly hoping for more development of the "Map Features" item and associated things so that players can build even greater and more imaginative fortresses.

Engraving, colors, metals
Metal and mineral requests

*makes Bambie eyes at Toady One*
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6650 on: November 11, 2009, 11:38:40 am »

Finally, we can test the fight set up early in the Morul thread. One dwarf, legendary in everything, versus a human with the same skills versus an elf, also with the same skills.

Now... can you set non-combat skills? I think the attributes are getting reworked, but will the other skills still make them stronger, faster, and tougher?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6651 on: November 11, 2009, 11:42:21 am »

The arena will be great to compare say copper equipped dwarves vs bronze equipped, just to see how that small advantage play out in an actual real fight.

Or swords VS axes.

Or of course, one adamantium equipped champion vs 100 dagger goblins.

Will the AI be any different in the arena? i.e. will goblins still try to ambush or just zerg rush the opposition?

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6652 on: November 11, 2009, 12:05:40 pm »

What will the functional difference between a war hammer and a mace be in the new combat system aside from using a different skill?

Also, will the skill progression be changed in any way, for any skill, from the current Dabbling->Novice->etc?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6653 on: November 11, 2009, 12:18:02 pm »

Sorry if its been answered already but:
What are the fighter and striker skills used for?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #6654 on: November 11, 2009, 12:55:39 pm »

What's with "Inorganic Stone Floor"? Will every stone floor or item now say "Inorganic"?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6655 on: November 11, 2009, 12:58:15 pm »

What's with "Inorganic Stone Floor"? Will every stone floor or item now say "Inorganic"?

I think it is just because the Arena's floor isn't actually made up of real materials like Microline, Clay, Granite, or Orthoclaus.

It is sort of a catch all name.

What will the functional difference between a war hammer and a mace be in the new combat system aside from using a different skill?

For the most part, what you would expect from the two.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6656 on: November 11, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »

Wow, there goes Aqizzar, selfishly delaying development yet again.

Unless I'm missing something, screenshot 16 illustrates a small bug: "Dark Gnome 1 miss Dwarf 1," rather than "misses."  This looks like the bug you get in current versions when hacking in Fortress Mode combat reports -- a holdover from Adv. Mode causes the Mayor to be described in the second person, due to the expedition leader being creature 0 or whatever.  That would explain why it shows up for the first creature you added.

Still love those new combat reports, though.

Everyone has their own dreams for what Toady will unveil in the next version (or couple of versions).  I, personally, am mostly hoping for more development of the "Map Features" item and associated things so that players can build even greater and more imaginative fortresses.

Engraving, colors, metals
Metal and mineral requests

*makes Bambie eyes at Toady One*

Yeah, your suggestions about mineral occurrence are good ones.  The round clusters bug me too.  I think Toady said he probably wouldn't have time to rework them yet, but I can't find the quote.

Now... can you set non-combat skills? I think the attributes are getting reworked, but will the other skills still make them stronger, faster, and tougher?

Yeah, attributes are only trained by usage now.  Which is rad.  Don't know about setting them for the arena though.  Maybe they're hiding at the top of the skill list, or maybe you just can't.

Weapons have many more parameters now, so there should be some subtle differences.  Hammers probably have a smaller area on their striking surfaces, at least.

Sorry if its been answered already but:
What are the fighter and striker skills used for?

They're the general combat skills that Toady mentioned.  Or at least "Fighter" is.  "Striker" might be the "grasp strike" (a.k.a. punching) skill, judging by its placement.

Quote from: Toady One
For unarmed, the count is actually five (I hadn't included the unwieldy objects, a skill I haven't named but it seems there should be *something* for that).  Then there's wrestling, dodging, grasp strikes (needs name), stance strikes (needs name, probably kicking).  Breathing fire and bites and so on are awaiting skills that I haven't set up yet.  There are also general skills for melee/ranged combat that pick up some of the slack that used to depend on "level" (counterstrikes, noticing charges, etc.).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 02:36:29 pm by Footkerchief »

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6657 on: November 11, 2009, 01:43:03 pm »

Will we be able to load up zombie/skelly/undead cursed/afflicted versions of creatures?
Do such afflicted creature keep their skills?
If we give say a kobold or batman a blow gun can we give them poisoned ammo?

If a dwarf tantrums and gains some skill in throwing and teachs it to others will they actually ever use it outside of tantrums... Or will they just be better at tantruming...?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 01:51:22 pm by kiffer.geo »

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6658 on: November 11, 2009, 02:13:36 pm »

I've noticed that there is a date in the upper right-hand corner of one of the sceenshots, will running Arena Mode advance the world you chose?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6659 on: November 11, 2009, 02:23:11 pm »

Wow, there goes Aqizzar, selfishly delaying development yet again.

You could not fathom the glee I'm feeling right now.

Most of that is just from seeing the Arena in action.  If I have one regret, its that Toady now has another forty questions piling up.  But hey, call it preliminary bug testing, since some  of these sound like little oversights.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 442 443 [444] 445 446 ... 1065