Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3621057 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6630 on: November 10, 2009, 09:54:17 pm »

Yeah, I wonder how the child-position thing is governed.
Toady: If you mod in a race that grows to only two years old, and want to have young leaders, will you be able to?

I'm guessing it disallows children entirely -- that's how most stuff works right now.  I think for your modded race, if you omit your child's BABY tag and just give them CHILD:1 they'll have a year of adulthood.  I don't know if there's a way to skip childhood entirely, or make it less than a year.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:03:45 pm by Footkerchief »

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6631 on: November 10, 2009, 10:08:17 pm »

Interesting. I'm genning up a fresh fort with
   [CHILD:1][BABY:0]
to see what happens.

On that topic, I just noticed the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag. Does this preclude twins, triplets completely at the moment? Or are they just very, very rare?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6632 on: November 10, 2009, 10:09:38 pm »

I think if a tantrumer learns throwing, they'll also start teaching the dwarves that, he he he.  The examples throwers give in class based on their wealth of experience must be pretty funny.

Urist: So laddies, me was really angre after me kitty died aye? So E'm all like "RAAAAEG" and throw dis sock at da miner nearby, 'n eet hit 'is head, exploding in gorrrre! Thaz when me knew I had da talent to throw, aye?

Class: Oh me armok Urist! How did da minerr's relatives react?

Urist: Ohhh dey were fien. He gave 'em engraved rooms before 'eh died, in case something happen'd to him. Oh armok, look at da tiem! Class dismissed, dun forget tha practice aye? Ask da hammerer to help.

Class: Yes uncle Urist!

And so began the fall of Sockflight.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 10:12:43 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6633 on: November 10, 2009, 10:19:33 pm »

Interesting. I'm genning up a fresh fort with
   [CHILD:1][BABY:0]
to see what happens.

On that topic, I just noticed the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag. Does this preclude twins, triplets completely at the moment? Or are they just very, very rare?

According to the creature tokens page, you can just omit BABY entirely, although BABY:0 might have the same effect.

Twins and triplets are just rare.

Warlord of Woe

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Axeman : : Legendary Armor user
    • View Profile
« Reply #6634 on: November 10, 2009, 10:36:02 pm »

With the upcoming cosmetics - eye and skin colors, beards, builds of bodies and heads - Is it planned to add these as options to adventure mode?? It could be a sort of simple character creator, where you could choose your adventurer's hair and eyes and head/body profiles and such.
BLOOD FOR BLOOD GOD!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6635 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:41 pm »

With the upcoming cosmetics - eye and skin colors, beards, builds of bodies and heads - Is it planned to add these as options to adventure mode?? It could be a sort of simple character creator, where you could choose your adventurer's hair and eyes and head/body profiles and such.

Not yet.

Quote from: wilsonns
Will be possible to edit the adventurer apperance or at least know about his apperance?

You can look at yourself and others.  Changing the appearance would be an interface to write, which isn't the end of the day.  You should certainly be able to customize yourself later on, at least in one version of the start setup (versus historical scenarios or whatever), since it's good to be able to be whatever you want to be.  It'll probably depend on prodding or just me eventually doing it.  Since you pick out where you are from first, it'll probably be constrained by the entity/race settings, with options to break convention or something.  Breaking reality (ie making a blue-skinned human) is more difficult because of how the appearance variables are indexed, and there might even be some issues there with breaking out of entity stylings, though I don't think there are.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6636 on: November 10, 2009, 10:53:42 pm »

nay, the Kobolds are the perverted ones
;D
Wow, lots of great stuff today.
Hmm, the basic code for group stuff going in has a lot of ramifications.

My pick would have to be, funerals. I can't wait for proper burial ceremonies.
If you can't tip/slide the coffins into the caldera to rejoin the Mountain then something is wrong.

Or into the sea to eventually be subducted.

a problem of "proper dwarvenness"?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6637 on: November 10, 2009, 10:55:13 pm »

I don't know if there's a way to skip childhood entirely, or make it less than a year.

From what I gathered from the new dwarf raws, it seems that in the next version, any (or at least most) raw tag involving spans of time will accept days as argument (in addition to the years we have now). Not entirely sure if that means we'll be able to have childhood last less than a year, but it definitely looks like a possibility.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6638 on: November 10, 2009, 11:38:57 pm »

From what I gathered from the new dwarf raws, it seems that in the next version, any (or at least most) raw tag involving spans of time will accept days as argument (in addition to the years we have now). Not entirely sure if that means we'll be able to have childhood last less than a year, but it definitely looks like a possibility.

The new time-based tags do all seem to accept days, but the last dwarf raw that Toady posted still had BABY:1 and CHILD:12.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Incidentally, if the Squads item for "weapon mentions in legends" does get implemented, I expect we'll see things like "the goblin is striking down the elf with the pike Lancedgoblets."  It would be cool if historical events had this same level of detail for killings with non-legendary weapons -- "the dwarf is striking down the goblin with an axe," or even "the elf is punching the kobold."
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 12:04:05 am by Footkerchief »

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6639 on: November 11, 2009, 01:15:55 am »

holy shit I'm freaking out I can't wait for this release...  I have nothing useful to say, I just thought you guys should know.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6640 on: November 11, 2009, 01:47:28 am »

"The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves. The dwarves are mobbing the dwarf. *insert 10-page long description of fight*"

Anyway, yeah, this release will be awesome. Mostly because it will be my first release, but still...
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6641 on: November 11, 2009, 03:40:02 am »

Naturally. If they were that skilled at dodging, you wouldn't be able to draft them.

Good lord, I JUST got this.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6642 on: November 11, 2009, 08:42:26 am »

Ah, finally we get a look at how the combat reports look. They look really good! Finally I get a real reason to make a gladiator arena inside my fortress ;D
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6643 on: November 11, 2009, 08:50:25 am »

Hey guys, Toady has put up some screenshots of the arena!

Anyways, it certainly looks pretty neat and stuff.

The arena does seem smallish, but you could put hundreds of critters in there.

I think this kind of got answered in the devlog, but can you create a specific type of arena, say  forested arena or one made out of ice or even almost completely aquatic and save that type? I know a forested arena would be mainly aescetic, but if you are testing a critter which has so much layering that they would die of overheating when outside an arctic climate, you'll probably want to make the arena an arctic climate.

Edit: I agree on the combat reports. :)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:54:02 am by smjjames »

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6644 on: November 11, 2009, 09:50:10 am »

The kobold language is based entirely on how we used to talk to our cats growing up.  The nonsense words would have a roughly consistent meaning for days at a time, but it was very fluid overall, and it's not really about communicating novel ideas to people, especially those that weren't around when a given word became attached to a given object.

Story:
Out of curiousity of how the DF Kobold society would work, I sent my good friend Urist McScholar to visit a Kobold cave where he tried to learn their language and culture... He was met with many many new words, a renewed love for stonecrafting, contempt, a missing axe, being stuck at the bottom of a pit for a few days, and the discovery of a missing artifact. But his mission was not a failure (he was not dead), and some interesting facts about Kobold culture would be revealed to the mountain homes.
tl;dr: Dwarf studies Kobolds.

Toady One: Feel free to leave questions unanswered if you haven't thought about the answer.

Do Kobolds have fixed names as implied by world gen, or would they frequently change their nicknames?
Using permanant names would likely mean that Kobolds choose not to establish fixed words and that the dynamic nature of their language is cultural. This helps to define whether a Kobold can learn other languages where words are established permanently.
But since DF isn't always logical, and this isn't a scientific experiment, I can ask:
Can a Kobold learn another language?

Does a Kobold prefer to reuse an old word or try to make a new one.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't think these were all of the ideas I had, but they seem to be the most interesting ones at the moment, that and it's late and I need sleep.
Pages: 1 ... 441 442 [443] 444 445 ... 1065