Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3614550 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6615 on: November 10, 2009, 05:25:53 pm »

What is a Grasp Strike? Does he mean hitting with grabs? (as in actually grabbing people?)

Yea, I think he means the grasp tag.

Does this mean that "wrestling" will be background skills now, so soldiers' professions will actually reflect the weapons they use when you train them in close combat first?

Good question.  I imagine that there'll still be a wrestling profession, but I'm sure there won't be Elite Dodgers or anything like that.  Although I guess there's precedent for Artful Dodgers.

Or even the Football team, the Dodgers.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6616 on: November 10, 2009, 05:37:51 pm »

I imagine that there'll still be a wrestling profession, but I'm sure there won't be Elite Dodgers or anything like that.

Naturally. If they were that skilled at dodging, you wouldn't be able to draft them.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6617 on: November 10, 2009, 05:43:26 pm »

I imagine that there'll still be a wrestling profession, but I'm sure there won't be Elite Dodgers or anything like that.

Naturally. If they were that skilled at dodging, you wouldn't be able to draft them.

LOL!

While we are on the subject of dodging, I hope they will dodge a bit more smartly than dodging off a cliff or into a river. However, that kind of stuff is just too much a part of the game, so.......

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6618 on: November 10, 2009, 05:55:42 pm »

Clever, very clever.

Anyway, I still think wrestling should be a background skill like shield and armor user.  Everyone trains their soldiers in close combat before anything else, and almost inevitably ends up with a 100% wrestler army, even if they all use weapons. 

Alternatively, soldier professions could be based on their currently equipped weapons, unlike civilian labors.  Still, I'm sick of seeing a huge list of wrestlers in my military screen when in fact not a single soldier of mine goes in to battle without a weapon.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:57:40 pm by JohnLukeG »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6619 on: November 10, 2009, 06:06:11 pm »

Everyone trains their soldiers in close combat before anything else, and almost inevitably ends up with a 100% wrestler army, even if they all use weapons. 

That's how people currently train their soldiers, yeah, but basically everything about training is getting tweaked or outright overhauled -- how skills and attributes are increased, what skills exist, sparring, lessons, etc.  In particular, the lessons will probably eliminate the need to start with wrestling.  I'm not saying it's impossible that the problem will persist, just that many current assumptions will become obsolete.

Also, I think I've seen some interesting precedent for specialized military boxers/wrestlers, maybe in The Iliad or something.  And I guess Muay Thai would count too -- it might be weird to have unarmed fighters in the regular army, but unarmed bodyguards would be cool in a kung-fu-movie way.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 06:18:34 pm by Footkerchief »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6620 on: November 10, 2009, 06:15:22 pm »

It would be interesting if in their free time they would train with different weapons if they wanted to.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6621 on: November 10, 2009, 06:48:39 pm »

I shall always train my soldiers in the martial arts before they are permitted to grasp any instrument of death.

Let me rephrase that.

No soldier shall be permitted to grasp any instrument of death until their own bodies may do the job as effectively.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6622 on: November 10, 2009, 07:05:05 pm »

Blimey, you guys are way too serious about your fortress defence.  Personally, I like to guard my fortress with cheesemakers armed with a substandard spear.  They then very quickly become either elite speardwarves or elite wormfood.....

I'm so looking forward to the squad updates, because I am a bit trap-phobic, so I can't wait to have a Gate Guard with rotating squads of men being on duty, off duty or training.  It's going to give a really awesome sense of immersion
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6623 on: November 10, 2009, 07:28:38 pm »

It's mostly just so I can watch the body parts fly when my dwarfs punch the goblins into oblivion. They do that, you know.

I mean like, 2 dwarfs.  5 total military, just incase any are asleep, and for training.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6624 on: November 10, 2009, 08:16:46 pm »

What will give me a sense of immersion is if the dwarves don't just hang around their squad leader all day every day, so they don't get stuck in the barracks when the elves show up.  Or for that matter, if I have the ability to dump them out of bed.

Personally, I like to take any makers of cheese, soap, potash, milk, or dye and make them macedwarves, usually before they've migrant their Migrant status.  I like to imagine that my no-quality iron maces are just hunks of pipe, handed to anyone with no other skills as they walk in the door.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6625 on: November 10, 2009, 08:25:13 pm »

Personally, I like to take any makers of cheese, soap, potash, milk, or dye and make them macedwarves, usually before they've migrant their Migrant status.
That's a pretty good quote there Aqizzar.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6626 on: November 10, 2009, 08:31:21 pm »

I migranted my grammar.  The whole grammar.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6627 on: November 10, 2009, 08:41:39 pm »

Well, now that you mention it, I can think of a few.  A creature's Wounds screen (preferably beat up enough to show off the detail), whatever the set-up screen for the Arena function is, whatever screen lets you see the appearance of a Demon or other such supercreature, and the custom workshop interface.  I'd ask to see the caverns and underground stuff too, but I know you want that to be a surprise and I don't imagine the basic cavern has changed much since that one screenshot you posted way back when.  No hurry of course.

Also, The Burrows interface.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6628 on: November 10, 2009, 08:53:34 pm »

The actual legends mode screen of one of the stories you told in the devlog.

Yeah, I can't wait to hear more about the burrows. They'll probably be the first thing I use when they are implemented.
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6629 on: November 10, 2009, 09:38:22 pm »

Wow, lots of great stuff today.
Hmm, the basic code for group stuff going in has a lot of ramifications.

My pick would have to be, funerals. I can't wait for proper burial ceremonies. It's such a core aspect of dwarf fortress, yet it's a bit of a farce at the moment:
Urist has been struck down... Urist's wife is unhappy... Urist's body hangs around... Urist's wife is unhappier... Somebody picks up Urist's body and plonks it in a casket... Urist's wife is ecstatic.

On the other hand, the minimalism is fairly dwarfy.

Still, I'd like there to at least be the option for solemn gatherings, big parades for fallen champions, little weird dwarfy traditional things to ward off spirits or whatever, grave goods, the hammerer delivering a moving eulogy, and so on.

And, I guess, concerts are something to look forward to. Since we already have all these rock instruments lying around.

Or perhaps a Child Hammerer position, for children by children.
:-[
"Protactinium likes green glass and violence. He enjoyed being a true dwarf lately. He is mindful of tradition."

Yeah, I wonder how the child-position thing is governed.
Toady: If you mod in a race that grows to only two years old, and want to have young leaders, will you be able to?

I think if a tantrumer learns throwing, they'll also start teaching the dwarves that, he he he.  The examples throwers give in class based on their wealth of experience must be pretty funny.
Urist McFormerlyAngry, standing at table: "Now pay attention class, as I throw this axe at that archery target."
Urist McFormerlyAngry grasps the axe by the handle! It is fumbled!
The spinning Basalt table strikes Urist McRecruit in the left temple! It is shattered!
Urist McRecruit has been struck down!
Pages: 1 ... 440 441 [442] 443 444 ... 1065