Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3614546 times)

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6600 on: November 10, 2009, 02:58:12 pm »

Once again, and for no apparent reason other than sheer compulsion and curiosity, I've gone ahead and cut out the finalised features for the next release. May have accidentally cut out a feature or two, but what is left is pretty small.

Enjoy!
Map Features (last changed Apr 25)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Squads (last changed Nov 10)

Some other unfinished business (last changed Jul 3)

Final

Color Key
  • To Do
  • Doing Doing Doing Doing Doing Doing Doing Doing
  • Done
  • Done (contains delayed items)
  • Delayed (put off, but might do still them depending on time)
  • Put off (definitely out for this release)

evirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6601 on: November 10, 2009, 03:09:05 pm »

from news
Quote from: Toady One
appointing children as young as one year to positions like "General", "Manager" and "Hammerer"

it would depend on what will be done with children, haven't really looked into what is and what will be on that subject, but it might be interesting if via parental death a child can be the defacto nobel, replacing the parent's position. could make for interesting stories atleast.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6602 on: November 10, 2009, 03:09:56 pm »

Thanks, chaoticag, now you've got me making release predictions again.  I'm keeping this one to myself, though, since my previous predictions were all oh so painfully wrong (and who knows how much final TLC the underground will require).  Last October I said February 2009, in February I said May, and in July I said November.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 03:12:12 pm by Footkerchief »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6603 on: November 10, 2009, 03:24:21 pm »

I really want to believe that the "Underground" stuff is actually done, considering the very quiet two months of work that just went into it.  Please let the Underground stuff be done.

Not counting that, if Squads are finished by month's end like Toady hoped, I wouldn't be surprised if he does polish off a (doubtless very buggy) release in the last week of December.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6604 on: November 10, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »

Well I am not lifting my prediction from February as it is the coolest answer.

Anyhow if we pretend each item takes only 2 days then Toady won't be done this year.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6605 on: November 10, 2009, 03:41:44 pm »

Well I am not lifting my prediction from February as it is the coolest answer.

Anyhow if we pretend each item takes only 2 days then Toady won't be done this year.

Yea, even if he does each one in one day (he may actually do a couple in one day since several squad stuff are blue to dark blue) he would be cutting it close to doing a release by the end of the year. And thats not counting the holidays and holiday shopping.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6606 on: November 10, 2009, 04:37:38 pm »

I believe there's a situational awareness skill now, so that ought to cover it. Of course, you might need Mechanics to disarm the trap...

Well what do you use to avoid a trap?

You use your situational awareness to spot it, and then you make a dodging roll to avoid the pressure plate or whatever activates an ordinary trap.
Yeah. Spot it with your awareness test, and then if you could just step over the tripwire, or what-have-you, you do so. If it's impossible to get past without disarming, it might use your mechanics skill to determine how long it takes, and how likely it this that something goes horribly wrong. I don't think you'd even need to factor agility into it, unless it were a case of just noticing the trap a split second before you touched it, and the game having to see whether you could pull back in time.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6607 on: November 10, 2009, 04:52:14 pm »

Wrestling does dodging in the current version, far as I know, but I'm interested in knowing what skill will cover dodging? Is it a new wrestling martial arts skill, even if we can't directly see it?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6608 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:58 pm »

Wrestling does dodging in the current version, far as I know, but I'm interested in knowing what skill will cover dodging? Is it a new wrestling martial arts skill, even if we can't directly see it?

I believe he added Dodging.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6609 on: November 10, 2009, 05:02:52 pm »

Yeah, dodging has its own skill now:

Quote from: Toady One
For unarmed, the count is actually five (I hadn't included the unwieldy objects, a skill I haven't named but it seems there should be *something* for that).  Then there's wrestling, dodging, grasp strikes (needs name), stance strikes (needs name, probably kicking).  Breathing fire and bites and so on are awaiting skills that I haven't set up yet.  There are also general skills for melee/ranged combat that pick up some of the slack that used to depend on "level" (counterstrikes, noticing charges, etc.).

Also, I came across a post where Toady gave some details about how teaching works (that's the item he just greened out):

They can currently teach weapon skills, wrestling, dodging, punching (grasp strikes), kicking (stance strikes), shield and armor use, yeah.  They can also teach general close-quarters/ranged combat principles.  They won't actually teach kicking though, since it's not a primary attack for dwarves -- biting is the same way.  If you have a mod where biting is the primary attack, they'll teach biting instead.  If you have multiple primary attacks, they'll teach all of the relevant skills.  I think if a tantrumer learns throwing, they'll also start teaching the dwarves that, he he he.  The examples throwers give in class based on their wealth of experience must be pretty funny.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6610 on: November 10, 2009, 05:09:10 pm »

What is a Grasp Strike? Does he mean hitting with grabs? (as in actually grabbing people?)

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6611 on: November 10, 2009, 05:11:40 pm »

Does this mean that "wrestling" will be background skills now, so soldiers' professions will actually reflect the weapons they use when you train them in close combat first?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6612 on: November 10, 2009, 05:11:59 pm »

What is a Grasp Strike? Does he mean hitting with grabs? (as in actually grabbing people?)

Sounds like hitting someone while in a grapple with them. Muay Thai?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #6613 on: November 10, 2009, 05:13:22 pm »

A grasp is anything that can be used to hold an object (Hands, tentacles, tails in primates) but usually hands. A stance is the part of the animal that touches the ground, like feet or tires.

To play around with the grasp and stance system, armok 1 has a feature that you can use to walk on whatever body part you want. choosing neck and chest is fun.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6614 on: November 10, 2009, 05:18:45 pm »

Does this mean that "wrestling" will be background skills now, so soldiers' professions will actually reflect the weapons they use when you train them in close combat first?

Good question.  I imagine that there'll still be a wrestling profession, but I'm sure there won't be Elite Dodgers or anything like that.  Although I guess there's precedent for Artful Dodgers.
Pages: 1 ... 439 440 [441] 442 443 ... 1065