Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578487 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #6555 on: November 09, 2009, 01:17:05 pm »

Booze has never exploded.  It just boils.  Hot gases used to do more damage to creatures, but they don't do much now.

I think it's pretty funny we Bay12ers are discussing booze bombs and describing in detail the effects of it when booze bombs can never really happen.

yet

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6556 on: November 09, 2009, 02:32:39 pm »

Wait, what? I could have sworn that barrels of booze did explode when they caught fire. Maybe it was in an old version...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6557 on: November 09, 2009, 02:47:33 pm »

Wait, what? I could have sworn that barrels of booze did explode when they caught fire. Maybe it was in an old version...

They've never exploded. The tile for boiling booze is a bright, full tile red. It looks an awful lot like an explosion. It acts a lot like an explosion. In reality though, it's just a very hot bubble of boiling booze exploding outward.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6558 on: November 09, 2009, 02:51:54 pm »

boiling booze exploding outward.

exploding outward.

exploding
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #6559 on: November 09, 2009, 02:55:19 pm »

I'm guessing what he's trying to say is that the alchohol doesn't burn in DF, but is instead spreading a scalding steam, so things die/get damaged from heat, not from !!fire!!?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6560 on: November 09, 2009, 03:02:39 pm »

Oh ho ho ho, you crazy Bay12.  Confusing burning steam with explosions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6561 on: November 09, 2009, 03:05:54 pm »

Are kobolds like gremlins? (edit: As seen in the movies)

What movies were those?

Gremlins, of course.

As long were posting more old questions, I just thought of a couple, though I imagine Foot will field them while I search myself.  Tissues will be given material definitions, including hardness and so forth.  The defensive ability of metal armors will be determined by the properties, like hardness, of the metal it's made from.  Does this mean that leather armor will reflect the properties of the creature skin that it's made from?

For that matter, will leatherizing (tanned, cured, and so forth) alter the properties of the skin it's made from, or is that set for later, and leather is just skin that can be used for stuff?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6562 on: November 09, 2009, 03:11:18 pm »

There have been many threads discussing the supposed "booze bomb."  Here's the most recent.  The most important snippets:

It boils. People just tend to look at the booze clouds and think "holy crap, my booze just exploded."
Booze bombs have never been real.

The booze boils (like you noticed) and creates a red mist cloud of evaporated booze. Heat from the burning wooden barrel (stand next to a burning tree in adventure mode for a while sometime) causes damage to creatures. Unobservant people think OMG BOOZESPOSION!!!!! and people on the forum who want to believe propagate the myth.

I tested it and the same effect (minus the red booze cloud of course) was obtained with burning empty barrels, and even just plain old burning logs. It's the heat from the fire (and dwarven stupidity/lack of self preservation) that causes damage, not the booze cloud.

so just drop plain old flaming logs and you're not wasting any alcohol - good or bad.

That should clear up any remaining misconceptions.  However, since we're talking about combustion, I'm still curious whether the new material raws differentiate between autoignition temperature and combustion temperature.  Examples abound, especially among reactive metals -- magnesium, for example, ignites at 510 C and burns at 1371 C.  The issue of ignition points came up before, but I couldn't tell whether Toady's answer included this distinction: "The current version has an ignition point to the extent that it has materials, but there's also a set temperature for fire attacks.  The new version also has the ignition point, used in the same way, but it has more materials so behavior should be a bit more diverse, though things like the map are still static."

As long were posting more old questions, I just thought of a couple, though I imagine Foot will field them while I search myself.  Tissues will be given material definitions, including hardness and so forth.  The defensive ability of metal armors will be determined by the properties, like hardness, of the metal it's made from.  Does this mean that leather armor will reflect the properties of the creature skin that it's made from?

For that matter, will leatherizing (tanned, cured, and so forth) alter the properties of the skin it's made from, or is that set for later, and leather is just skin that can be used for stuff?

In last year's material template preview, the leather is a separately defined material, which means it can mirror the properties of the creature's skin material, or not (you can override individual properties from those templates at the creature level).  We haven't yet seen any support for materials that are generated on-the-fly by augmenting properties of an existing material -- that's handled by a MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT, which just changes one material into another:

Code: [Select]
[MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:TAN_MAT:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:LEATHER]
Interestingly, in those previews, the STANDARD_MATERIALS body detail plan doesn't actually add a leather material to the creature.  It was probably an oversight and has been fixed in the newer body detail plans, although maybe there's something subtle I'm missing.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 03:24:54 pm by Footkerchief »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6563 on: November 09, 2009, 04:40:09 pm »

What movies were those?

The Gremlins movie. I think I saw it once a long while ago. Basically they wreak general havoc and chaos, like a malevolent evil type. Although I don't think they were neccesarily out to kill people, just make life miserable.

I can't recall seeing an answer to this: Will diplomats that die in fort mode get replacements now?

It's come up:

This is about monarchs, but I think the succession issues are the same in both cases:

Quote from: BloodBeard
Will how kings and queens come to power be changed to reflect actual monarchies? Like when a king or queen dies, their oldest child or the nearest of kin becomes the new monarch.

This already happens in world generation.  In-game succession is a slightly harder problem that is up on dev_next.  It might get a placeholder sooner than that but I can't guarantee anything.

I'm guessing that since there hasn't been any further mention of that placeholder, we won't see it this time around.  I'm just glad to see Entity Positions done, though.  If the rest of Squads goes that smoothly...

I wouldn't care too much about the monarch nobles, and besides, even if they do get killed in fortress mode, I don't think the civilization crumbles and is still playable. What I would want and likely everybody else, is to have the liason at least be replaced somehow because they are far more important than the monarch, at least on a trade basis.

Though the I would like to see some like the booze instead of water in water packs make it through. That I think would be useful.

I think that's a potential deathtrap.

Consider:

Squad packs some dwarven rum in flasks in their backpacks. Squad goes out to confront fire imp. Fire imp tags Urist McImpfodder with a fireball. Urist is on fire. Fire reaches the rum flask, which cooks off like a hand grenade. Remaining squad members are now covered with !!dwarf chunk!!...and are packing their own Molotov cocktails.

On the upside, it becomes more feasible to create dwarven suicide bombers.

I doubt it since as it was said before, 'exploding' booze doesn't really explode, think of it more like the fizz from an overpressurized soda bottle. Explode is still a good word though and descriptive enough.

The booze boiling over would be the least of the soldiers problems when bieng attacked by an imp and if the waterbag is on fire, most likely they are on fire themselves.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6564 on: November 09, 2009, 04:44:05 pm »

I wouldn't care too much about the monarch nobles, and besides, even if they do get killed in fortress mode, I don't think the civilization crumbles and is still playable. What I would want and likely everybody else, is to have the liason at least be replaced somehow because they are far more important than the monarch, at least on a trade basis.

I know people aren't really concerned about monarchs, but as I said in that quote, the succession issue is probably the same for liaisons as for monarchs, meaning that what Toady said ("In-game succession is a slightly harder problem that is up on dev_next.  It might get a placeholder sooner than that but I can't guarantee anything.") would apply to both. 

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6565 on: November 09, 2009, 05:59:02 pm »

What movies were those?
The Gremlins movie. I think I saw it once a long while ago. Basically they wreak general havoc and chaos, like a malevolent evil type. Although I don't think they were neccesarily out to kill people, just make life miserable.

I think that Kobolds would eventually have their own flavours of mischief. A Kobold might prefer to set traps for your dwarfs or pets, once invaders can make buildings of course. From the little I can gather about the movie the Gremlins don't
sound as sneaky and tactful as I'd expect a Kobold to be.

Lever pullers would be easy to deal with, because a few lever/support/magma traps would become a very efficient anti-mischief trap. If they want to be really annoying maybe they would disassemble levers- just another reason to keep them out of your fort!

Edit: removing off topic stuff.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 06:25:01 pm by Kobold6 »

Nicpon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6566 on: November 09, 2009, 06:03:11 pm »

Nay, Pulling levers is more fun.

They could disassemble bridges though. (or make them disassemble themselves when sombody is on them  ;D)

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6567 on: November 09, 2009, 06:08:08 pm »

Ok, question that is completely unrelated to the topic(s) currently under discussion, and likely not to be implemented in this release (unless it is an oversight and not deliberate).  Why do Siege Engineers not get artifacts when all of the other reasonable vanilla professions do?  Is it an oversight, and if not I'm curious as to the reasoning behind that decision?
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6568 on: November 09, 2009, 06:11:33 pm »

Urist McSiegeEngineer has been possesed.

Urist McSiegeEngineer has created a Trebuchet!
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6569 on: November 09, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »

I'm not sure how reasonable it would be, since they'd end up producing an artifact siege *component*. Producing an artifact one-third-of-a-siege-engine is weirder than producing an artifact some-entire-item, at least.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: 1 ... 436 437 [438] 439 440 ... 1065