Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3638662 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #615 on: February 14, 2009, 06:42:43 pm »

I'm not sure if I would ever want my dwarves to have slaves.

I agree. Dwarves take pride in their work, and ENJOY toiling, so it doesn't make much sense to me for them to belittle any of their work enough to assign it to slaves, which are essentially unpersons.

After looking at entity_default.txt, it seems that dwarves currently punish slave-holding with death anyway. Humans are totally okay with it, of course.
I think it's more along the lines of dwarves not allowing slaves to own other slaves.

And since they're already slaves to Armok...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: February 14, 2009, 06:45:19 pm »

whether it's dwarfy or not has nothing to do with whether it should be in or not.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 14, 2009, 07:03:37 pm »

I'm not sure if I would ever want my dwarves to have slaves.

I agree. Dwarves take pride in their work, and ENJOY toiling, so it doesn't make much sense to me for them to belittle any of their work enough to assign it to slaves, which are essentially unpersons.

After looking at entity_default.txt, it seems that dwarves currently punish slave-holding with death anyway. Humans are totally okay with it, of course.
I think it's more along the lines of dwarves not allowing slaves to own other slaves.

And since they're already slaves to Armok...

Huh? No, I'm pretty sure the SLAVERY ethic controls whether or not a civilization actually allows slavery. A slave-holding society allowing its slaves to hold slaves would just be... odd.

whether it's dwarfy or not has nothing to do with whether it should be in or not.

Right. I was never saying that I can't see slaves being in the game, just that I don't see dwarves THEMSELVES doing it. Humans, sure.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 14, 2009, 07:21:12 pm »

Not so odd as you may think. Slavery at itself means only that you are owned by someone. How far your rights ,as slave, go is another thing and i can see a culture there a highclass/caste slave could own lower class/caste slaves by himself. Also not all slaves in history were rightless or were treated like that.

to quote Wikipedia once more:

Quote from: Wikipedia Article on Roman Slavery
[...]while household slaves of rich families in Rome (familia urbana) likely enjoyed the highest standard of living among Roman slaves, together with a more intricate social experience. Though their room and board would be of a significantly lower quality than that of the free members of the familia, it may have been comparable to that of many free but poor Romans.Domestic slaves could be found working as barbers, butlers, cooks, hairdressers, maids, nurses, teachers, secretaries, and seamstresses. Slaves with more education and intelligence could even work in professions such as accounting, education and medicine. [...]

edit: The Romans passed laws that increasingly restricted the power of masters over their slaves and children. It is difficult to assess how well the laws were enforced. Claudius ruled that if a master abandoned an old or sick slave, the slave became free. Under Nero, slaves were given the right to complain against their masters in court. During the reign of Antoninus Pius, it was ruled that a slave could claim his freedom if treated cruelly, and that a master who killed his slave without just cause could be tried for homicide. At the same time, it became more difficult for a person to fall into slavery under Roman law. By the time of Diocletian, free men could not sell their children or even themselves into slavery, and creditors could not claim insolvent debtors as slaves.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 07:35:46 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Savok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 14, 2009, 08:24:24 pm »

I'm highly for a slavery mechanic that allows slaves in Fortress Mode.

I'm highly against the aforementioned slavery mechanic being used by dwarves. Only useful if you play a human or other fortress.
So sayeth the Wiki Loremaster!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 14, 2009, 09:54:35 pm »

How about the goblins? Obviously they kidnap children, but are the children slaves, or are they brainwashed (and is there a difference?), or is there something else holding their loyalty?

If humans are slavers, and dwarfs are not, how do goblins--aka the "evil" race (if infact that's actually even true), fit into the picture?
For they would be your masters.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 15, 2009, 01:37:48 am »

A QUICK question divorced from the current topics for when Toady should next grace us with an answer storm;

I recall some mention in the devnotes that new workshops are being opened for interaction with the Reaction raws; among them, the Alchemist's Laboratory and Millstone/Quern jobs.

Is it still true that we can make reactions in these workshops (and if there are others, what are they?); and, can these new reactions handle items in barrels and/or vials, or corpse/harvested items like shell or horn?

That is all. Carry on your slave discussions.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 15, 2009, 01:39:17 am »

Goblins have [ETHIC:SLAVERY:PERSONAL_MATTER], as with a lot of their ethics.

In other words, they probably don't have the sort of complex social structure built around slavery that humans would, but goblins who want to own slaves and can get away with it sure can. This applies to a lot of goblin endeavors; they have the same damn ethics value for murder.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 15, 2009, 03:10:41 am »

Think of what we could do with a tag like [ETHIC:MISTREAT_SLAVE:ACCEPTABLE].

Mmmmm. Evil.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 15, 2009, 06:01:27 am »

I recall some mention in the devnotes that new workshops are being opened for interaction with the Reaction raws; among them, the Alchemist's Laboratory and Millstone/Quern jobs.

Is it still true that we can make reactions in these workshops (and if there are others, what are they?); and, can these new reactions handle items in barrels and/or vials, or corpse/harvested items like shell or horn?

It looks like it's Tannery, Kitchen and Alchemist's.  Not the Mill, unfortunately.  But as for your actual question, I'm curious about the barrel/vial thing too.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 15, 2009, 06:50:55 am »

I'd like to second the "no slaves for dwarfs" idea. I agree that, considering their interests and their culture, it just doesn't seem like something they'd do.

I don't know... What about "evil" dwarves for example? Slavery should be acceptable for them. [Hint: Dark Dwarves [Derro] in Dragonlance]
Hell, it should be ok for "normal" dwarves even. Using captured goblin, human etc. prisoners as slaves looks valid & acceptable to me, it has nothing to do with "alignments" or culture at all...but again this is my subjective opinion.  :)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 15, 2009, 07:42:53 am »

I know it's been said before, and I also know it will be said again, but I feel a need to say it now.

Just when you think this game can't get any more awesome, it does.  Tarn, you are a god among mere mortals.

Arkose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 15, 2009, 08:05:17 am »

I'd like to second the "no slaves for dwarfs" idea. I agree that, considering their interests and their culture, it just doesn't seem like something they'd do.
I don't know... What about "evil" dwarves for example? Slavery should be acceptable for them.

Currently, you could do something like this by making an "Evil Dwarf Civilization" entity that uses the same standard dwarf creature definitions.

I don't think that there is any way to have members of an entity whose morals differ from that of their parent entity. (Yet.)

Vlynndar

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies! All of them!
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 15, 2009, 08:05:50 am »

I know it's been said before, and I also know it will be said again, but I feel a need to say it now.

Just when you think this game can't get any more awesome, it does.  Tarn, you are a god among mere mortals.

A dwarven god.
For that viciously bad pun, I'm gonna introduce a NPC named Vlynndar just so that I can kill him of in a cruel and unusual way.
Watermelons are pretty important.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 15, 2009, 11:38:41 am »

I am sure Dwarves with slaves will be MUCH further down the line when Toady impliments a Civilisation range. (So we can get peaceful Humans to Warlike Humans)
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1065