Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627686 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5490 on: October 08, 2009, 07:19:44 pm »

chaoticjosh: If they had that sort of thing, you wouldn't get it- you don't trade your adamantine, do you?

Some manner of wood value variance might be nice, though.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: October 08, 2009, 07:30:59 pm »

Actually, kidnapped dwarves (POWs of Goblins really) will show up with steel items. Which brings up the question of how they obtained it. Since they usually kill quite a few dwarves in worldgen, they could easily have reused armor that way, but still.....
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 07:32:42 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: October 08, 2009, 07:36:11 pm »

Some manner of wood value variance might be nice, though

We hit these problems a lot where we would LOVE to input this but where the heck is anyone supposed to get any information on it?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: October 08, 2009, 07:48:21 pm »

We hit these problems a lot where we would LOVE to input this but where the heck is anyone supposed to get any information on it?

Values for wood are comparatively easy to find, actually, since it's such an important building material.  The first result for googling "mechanical properties of wood" seems like a good resource (warning, PDF).

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: October 08, 2009, 08:03:33 pm »

Except in Adamantium's case it only applies to Player run fortresses (though its situation is a bit iffy at the moment) and comes at the thread of death.

Goblins also have access to Adamantine apperantly but only in adventurer mode.

Though Dwarves have Steel while humans and Goblins only tend to come with Iron.

Well, I'm not saying that this super wood would be able to compete realistically with Adamantium, but it should atleast be able to compete with steel, and plentiful enough that any given Elven Civilization will have access to it, even if only a little bit.

This is the first time though that I've heard of Adventure mode goblins getting adamantium. I suppose with their leader being a demon and all, he has some connections.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: October 08, 2009, 08:05:06 pm »

Compete with steel? That would give Elves a distinct advantage over Humans unless it was particularly rare.

I think we should diversify the races advantages rather then making it a straight out technological struggle over the elements.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: October 08, 2009, 08:09:09 pm »

Well, by common enough that any given Elven Civ would have access to it, I mean it would only be enough to supply the small elite group of high ranking warriors, religion guys, government officials, or royalty.

But do you care to elaborate on the "diversify the races advantages" part?

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: October 08, 2009, 08:11:08 pm »

Following the 'hard wood' string of thought, maybe there could be a legendarily hard tree that only Elves can figure out how cut down and use effectively.

Kind of like how Dwarves are the only race that can access adamantium, Elves are the only race that can access the super wood.

This just doesn't really make sense. Dwarves can mine adamantium because, well, they happen to dig deep enough. If humans mined deep enough (if humans mined at all?) they too could dig it up. The same with humans, elves or even kobolds if you had some sort of slavedriver spurring thousands of them to dig a huge opencast pit.

But with a really hard tree, the only things that could make it inaccessible would be geography (it only grows in a certain biome) - in which case other races would have access to it when they conquered elves - or some sort of 'magick spirit of the woods' thing which isn't implemented in the game and probably won't be until the magic arc.

If a dwarf wants a tree chopped down, he chops it down.

Actually, kidnapped dwarves (POWs of Goblins really) will show up with steel items. Which brings up the question of how they obtained it. Since they usually kill quite a few dwarves in worldgen, they could easily have reused armor that way, but still.....

Probably most everyone has bits and pieces of dwarven steel armour lying around from worldgen wars, but kidnapped dwarfs are the only ones who are the right shape to use it.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: October 08, 2009, 08:13:03 pm »

I would much rather keep our weak elves until we can create combat methods that are more elfy. Of course that wont happen for a while (Magic Arc, work on animal domestication)
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: October 08, 2009, 08:20:11 pm »

I meant monetary value variance, actually. Presently there are just a few density options- feather tree is light, glumprong is heavy, one or two others might be different.

But no matter what, a ☼Bed☼ is worth 120☼. ◄Bed►?
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: October 08, 2009, 08:23:06 pm »

do you care to elaborate on the "diversify the races advantages" part?

What I mean is that we should give each race their own kinds of advantages over others.

So instead of balancing all the races by their access to technology or powerful steel like substances we can give them access to powerful creatures, training, allies, military society, social structure, Diplomacy, or wealth. Later ones such as Magic and Divine favor can exist.

Elves may be far behind others in terms of having powerful equipment but they are also immortal and could have access to thousands of years of training. They are also allies of nature so local forces (Semi and Mega), animal men, and ordinary animals can step up to defend them or aid them in strikes. Long established Elven cities could be nearly unbeatable.
-Imagine Elf Elephant troops.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 08:27:51 pm by Neonivek »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: October 08, 2009, 08:39:51 pm »

Imagine Morul doing his Super Sayan impression all over the elephants.

Now, I think I can deal with Elven leaders and elites having access to an iron, or slightly better, wood.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: October 08, 2009, 09:10:35 pm »

Imagine Morul doing his Super Sayan impression all over the elephants.

Now, I think I can deal with Elven leaders and elites having access to an iron, or slightly better, wood.

I personally think they will eventually have access to some sort of metalic wood.

I am just being resistant mostly because I'd like some more variety input.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 09:48:49 pm by Neonivek »

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: October 08, 2009, 10:03:04 pm »

All Elves need is some sort of magical 'Ironwood'. Most fantasy realms that have the Elves only using wood realise this and give them some kind of Ironwood to faciliate the fact that they're using wood.

Their -1 damblock doesn't help either, although their immortality does mean they're masters at winning wars of attrition.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: October 08, 2009, 10:06:23 pm »

All Elves need is some sort of magical 'Ironwood'. Most fantasy realms that have the Elves only using wood realise this and give them some kind of Ironwood to faciliate the fact that they're using wood.

Their -1 damblock doesn't help either, although their immortality does mean they're masters at winning wars of attrition.

Not most in fact it isn't that common.

Heck "Ironwood" In dungeons and dragons isn't even wood... It is metal that has been altered to allow the flow of nature through it.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 1065