Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627849 times)

Mondark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5370 on: October 05, 2009, 08:14:53 pm »

No no, they're all turtles.

All the way down.

Quote from: Heph
Toady will there be some sort of semi-chasms? So chasm like formations that lead into a cave(-lakes) rather then to the nothingness beyond - like if the ceiling of said cave just collapsed?

The bottomless chasms and pits are gone right now.  HFS might involve them, who knows?  But in any case the vertical connections will all be finite (haven't done them yet), though before climbing we're aiming on making most or all of the adventurer accessible.

Ah!  Thank you.
*goes back to lurking*
Fefeshnelmargalip

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: October 05, 2009, 08:16:22 pm »

I understand that from an in-game perspective, it's more realistic to have the currency named by the various kingdoms, but when talking about it here on the forums, I kind of don't like having to look at a unicode table to get the ☼ symbol, and calling it dwarfbucks sounds silly.

You say that like sounding silly is a bad thing.  Although dwarfdegrees is a little clunky.

Dwarfenheit?  Dwarfigrade?  (Dwarfius is meh)

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: October 05, 2009, 08:23:00 pm »

Dwarfenheit?  Dwarfigrade?  (Dwarfius is meh)
Dwarfkine?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:49 pm »

Man, they look like turtles for a reason.  They're turtles.  Always will be, atleast in my mind.....millions of turtles....yesss.....yesss.....

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: October 05, 2009, 08:28:58 pm »

I understand that from an in-game perspective, it's more realistic to have the currency named by the various kingdoms, but when talking about it here on the forums, I kind of don't like having to look at a unicode table to get the ☼ symbol, and calling it dwarfbucks sounds silly.

You say that like sounding silly is a bad thing.  Although dwarfdegrees is a little clunky.

Not that silliness is a bad thing, I just don't want to sound stupid if there ever comes a day when I have to explain this to someone not already affiliated with Dwarf Fortress.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: October 05, 2009, 08:30:54 pm »

If copper coins have the value of 1☼ (can't check ingame to confirm atm) then the most logical conclusion for me is to call x☼ "x coppers". Bit like how some games call currency "x gold pieces".

Are there no chasms or bottomless pits in upcoming release? :( Or is the "bottomless"-features just removed and the pits/chasms are still there (without the bottomless part)? Oh well, hopefully the underground caverns will make me forget those lovely features.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:35:55 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: October 05, 2009, 08:31:55 pm »

But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: October 05, 2009, 08:53:53 pm »

dwarfonid dwarfite dwarfique dwarvitude dwarficles ...:)
how about 'cogs' for dwarfbucks?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: October 05, 2009, 09:01:49 pm »

Dwarfgrees?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: October 05, 2009, 09:09:44 pm »

degrees Uristius
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: October 05, 2009, 09:15:15 pm »

^
 Urist degrees
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: October 05, 2009, 09:21:04 pm »

If copper coins have the value of 1☼ (can't check ingame to confirm atm) then the most logical conclusion for me is to call x☼ "x coppers". Bit like how some games call currency "x gold pieces".

Are there no chasms or bottomless pits in upcoming release? :( Or is the "bottomless"-features just removed and the pits/chasms are still there (without the bottomless part)? Oh well, hopefully the underground caverns will make me forget those lovely features.

Truly bottomless pits have been taken out. I think Toady set he MIGHT leave them in for some HFS-related stuff, but I wouldn't count on it.

Of course, due to the new cave system, you're liable to find pits several z-levels in depth anyway. Probably.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: October 05, 2009, 10:42:57 pm »

Will the currency in Dwarf Fortress ever receive an official name?

Whatever a given civilization calls it is it's given name.  All nations and kingdoms adopt their own official names for currency after all.  I've always thought it a little silly how some games have one universal currency with a universal name; even we in the modern world are reticent against the concept.

I imagine it will always just be dwarfbucks, turtles, monies, or ☼, and even the last one is just a convenience for the program displays.  Same with dwarfpounds ( Γ ) and dwarfdegrees.

☼With NumLock on, press Alt+15. The 15 must come from the numpad. Now you know.☼

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: October 05, 2009, 11:32:14 pm »

how about 'cogs' for dwarfbucks?

I see what you did there.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: October 05, 2009, 11:42:48 pm »

Only in ASCII. from the character table on the wiki, ☼: 263C: 15

"Gusil"
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 1065