Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627910 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5295 on: October 04, 2009, 10:48:58 am »

Cloth masks- time-appropriate? Would certainly help with dust, if not necessarily inhaled toxins.

It would protect from poisons with course particles, though wetting it helps (If it is Chlorine Gas then a certain natural substance helps)

Though on the contrary it can protect you from inhaled toxins would protect you from lead dust, poison spit, or pepper sprey... Though it won't do anything for your eyes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 12:01:41 pm by Neonivek »

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: October 04, 2009, 11:33:40 am »

Have you seen what MINERS do to dragons?

To be fair, a legendary miner is essentially a champion speardwarf with a slightly weaker weapon at the moment.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Cousarr

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: October 04, 2009, 12:06:15 pm »

Was there a specific need to preface all of those body parts in the posted raws with "RCP_"?

As both of the posted creatures have nothing but "RCP_" parts it seems to me as if it's an unnecessary prefix that just generates extra typing when coming up with new critters. Is there some difference between a "RCP_" head and a normal head that I'm not seeing? If so, will there be uses for both variants?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5298 on: October 04, 2009, 12:16:29 pm »

Yes, an RCP_HEAD does not exist in the raws. Remember, these are all generated on-the-fly. RCP_parts probably only exist in the game data (which makes me wonder, will deleting the data/objects contents still be safe?), or even in the executable itself, and cannot be modified.

Alternatively, the RCP prefix is required to let the game know which available parts can be used for creating these custom critters, as no doubt they require some special tuning to work right.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: October 04, 2009, 12:30:27 pm »

Are there different kinds of heads? Like there could be an RCP head and another type of head.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: October 04, 2009, 01:08:05 pm »

RCP probably means something along the lines of "Random Combination Part". So, yes, there will be different heads. If we're lucky, they'll even be different for humans and animals.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: October 04, 2009, 01:17:22 pm »

Was going for Random Creature Part myself... the body parts created by the generator to be used by these creatures.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: October 04, 2009, 01:20:24 pm »

I guess I could see negative poison effects working for some things (damage to a specific organ, necrosis, etc.), but not others (what would a negative value of blood-vomiting or blisters give you?).

This is what Neonivek and I were saying -- a negative effect would probably just cancel out the normal poison effects without doing anything special.  DF has moved beyond the stage where health is measured on a single axis, so it's pretty ambiguous what the actual reverse of necrosis would mean.  In a game with simple HP, obviously it just "heals" you.

RCP_parts probably only exist in the game data (which makes me wonder, will deleting the data/objects contents still be safe?), or even in the executable itself, and cannot be modified.

Yeah, I was guessing they'd be in the executable.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: October 04, 2009, 01:29:48 pm »

I can't figure out what that eight legged newt thing looks like.  It's eight-legged.  Its hairy.  It has messy indigo hair.  Indigo as in, purple hair.

It also stands upright?  What's with the humanoid plan position tags?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: October 04, 2009, 01:34:30 pm »

It also stands upright?  What's with the humanoid plan position tags?

It is a little weird that they're labeled as "humanoid," but if you check the body detail plans in last year's raws preview, you'll see they don't do anything particularly human -- just simple stuff like eyes on the front of your head (okay, maybe that is a bit strange for a newt) and ribs around your organs.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: October 04, 2009, 01:45:35 pm »

Huh.  Okay, I get it.  So it's just the positioning of the ribcage and head is human.

Which means... they have an upright head?
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: October 04, 2009, 01:57:31 pm »

Huh.  Okay, I get it.  So it's just the positioning of the ribcage and head is human.

Which means... they have an upright head?

The head positions BDP specifies the position of stuff that belongs to the head -- nose, mouth, eyes, etc.  It doesn't seem specify whether the head is held upright (think giraffe) or forward (think pig).  I think you could mod in additional BDPs to tell the game whether the neck/head are on the front of the body or on top of it, but I don't think it'd show up in the description.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: October 04, 2009, 02:19:06 pm »

Breaking from this slightly... What I wana see eventually, is the Olmman delivering a venom that turns a dwarf into olms piece by piece, making a Man of Olms.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: October 04, 2009, 02:22:34 pm »

Ribcage around the organs is standard for all vertebrates though. Also, I think I spotted a vertebrate (not vertebra or vertebrae) tag somewhere.

lol@ Time Kitten.

Edit: nm, the vertebrate tag I spotted is for a phylum, if I may call it that, of body plans. I think.

Edit: Speaking of body plans, I wonder if we could recreate the creatures from the Cambrian Explosion.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:28:50 pm by smjjames »

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: October 04, 2009, 03:02:10 pm »

oh, it gets better, when the man of olms is killed, it leaves behind two dozen olms as a corpse, which grow up into giant olms, which metemophisise into olmmen from feasting on the flesh of a sentient creature.
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 1065