Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3627925 times)

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #5280 on: October 04, 2009, 12:40:41 am »

Raw spoliers ahead!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: October 04, 2009, 01:10:07 am »

I just thought of something (using flawed programmer logic). Could there be 'poisons' with negative symptom values? Since effects seem to stack, maybe quaffing a dose of a poison with -100 effect would cure you?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: October 04, 2009, 01:22:45 am »

I just thought of something (using flawed programmer logic). Could there be 'poisons' with negative symptom values? Since effects seem to stack, maybe quaffing a dose of a poison with -100 effect would cure you?

I wouldn't say cure, as that would require negating the poison itself or somehow removing it from your body, Id say it would subvert the effects of the poison for as long as the effect lasts. If it lasts longer then the poison then it is as good as a cure.

In the same way that pain killers don't heal wounds, why would it cure poison? If the pain killer just so happened to last longer then the wound, then all the better.

Though a problem is that a lot of things in reverse are a penelty. Pain helps you notice things, if you can't go unconscious then you can't sleep (Which has a wide array of problems), if you can't vomit then your vulnerable to certain toxins and diseases. Though I don't think negative values work in reverse I am sure they just negate if they function at all... it is just something to think about.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 01:36:07 am by Neonivek »

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: October 04, 2009, 02:09:31 am »

Would be neat if you could have things in reverse though.  Then, you can have a venomous creature that, when it bites you, shuts down your lungs but activates gills, making your adventurer aquatic and able to proceed through the ocean...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: October 04, 2009, 02:20:12 am »

Or drowning you in air if you're on land.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: October 04, 2009, 02:41:23 am »

I wouldn't say cure, as that would require negating the poison itself or somehow removing it from your body, Id say it would subvert the effects of the poison for as long as the effect lasts. If it lasts longer then the poison then it is as good as a cure.

Yeah, this is the only behavior that would make sense for poison effects with negative severity, if the game will even accept a negative parameter.  That leaves the question of how to administer the antidote.  There's no AI for injections or salves, so it'd have to be inhaled.  Maybe you could make a custom workshop that (when manned) constantly churns out clouds of Kogan's Cure-All Elixo-Vapor, and build it inside your hospital zone.

edit: or you could have a special exotic pet that constantly exudes the vapor
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:19:32 am by Footkerchief »

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: October 04, 2009, 02:42:05 am »

Looking into this more closely, I do see now that kingship can be past down to their children, but in many cases it has been past down to completely unrelated dwarves, even when the passing ruler has many living children. I've noticed that this seems to happen more often when the passing ruler's life is cut short or/and their surviving children are very young. Is there an age limit to becoming king?

I love the possibility of this developing into palace intrigue where, say, a Prince Regent takes power until the proper heir comes of age, and power struggles ensue.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: October 04, 2009, 06:21:19 am »

Thats it, i am now planning another mod. a lab built into my spaceship fort intended to breed a hive of aggressive monsters with acid blood (totally not a copyright infringement) and drop them out of hatches to splatter all over my enemies, or shred them if it survives the impact.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: October 04, 2009, 06:28:45 am »

Will elves be able to talk to or tame these beasts, then use them in wars and sieges like goblins use trolls?
If ThreeToe's stories are prophetic / design documentation, then eventually all animalmen will be tamable/allies of the elves.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: October 04, 2009, 07:34:56 am »

WEll, actually, just the aboveground animalmen, Toady said.

edit: found it
Quote from: Toady One
but the underground Animal Peoples are more insane and antisocial and also use crude weapons where the aboveground ones might not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:56:48 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: October 04, 2009, 07:56:08 am »

...is there an age limit to becoming king?

Your beard must be this long to rule the Bakers of Tragedy.

Will it be possible to define blood as a body-pervasive tissue for the purposes of toxins and disease without creating targeting weirdness in combat? I understand that the current system can get at damage to blood cells and vessels in a roundabout fashion, but it would be pretty cool to have cyanide-style toxins that render the blood unable to carry oxygen (maim the blood?) without just directly killing the lungs.
... and then it explodes!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: October 04, 2009, 08:57:22 am »

Ah.  For some reason I didn't think to search for 'antidote'. 

I guess I could see negative poison effects working for some things (damage to a specific organ, necrosis, etc.), but not others (what would a negative value of blood-vomiting or blisters give you?).

Also, I doubt they had huge numbers of antidotes pre-1400s.  I think (with a few exceptions) poisons were mostly uncurable back then.  Though gameplay-wise it might be fun to play around with antidotes.  But they aren't really essential, I guess.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: October 04, 2009, 09:03:59 am »

I guess when people wanted to have something that could take down a full adamantine geared legendary skilled champion, this is it :)

Inhale enough poison that paralyzes you/your heart, and down you go!
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: October 04, 2009, 09:31:37 am »

Cloth masks- time-appropriate? Would certainly help with dust, if not necessarily inhaled toxins.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: October 04, 2009, 10:30:38 am »

Having no antidotes whatsoever seems like a gross oversight... then again, the current method for acquiring them (gutting one of the creatures that would've poisoned you) is pretty weak. Still, without any countermeasure other than "Get well soon!", it seems like our dwarves are destined to die off in droves.

It's not an oversight, just one of the zillion things this release doesn't have time for.  I don't think you'll see TOO many dwarves dying -- a lot of poisons will be nonlethal and wear off after a while, plus you can kill the bad things first, plus the game needs to have additional challenges of this kind available to the more experienced and daring players.  If you can't deal with a few dead dwarves, don't delve too deep!

The only problem I forsee we may have hit is that poisons are seriously dangerous and can easily make Flame breath look like minty summer breeze. Poison just flattens you and unless your prepared for that specific poison it seems like it could easily end in death.

Flame breath IS practically minty summer breeze right now.  Have you seen what champions do to dragons in the current version?
Have you seen what MINERS do to dragons?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 1065