Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3629424 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4995 on: September 24, 2009, 03:31:12 pm »

It's better to leverage the similarities than to fret over the differences

The problem is that Disease has a very loose definition. That is why we need to fret over the differences or at least to get a proper definition of Disease into play even if that definition is "A Condition with a disease flag".

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4996 on: September 24, 2009, 03:52:45 pm »

to be a slight pest, i am reposting an old question that never got answered.

will we be able to manage our modded raws from in game, or will we have to do that manually?

for example:

We could have a teplate raw folder that would keep all the mods separate, and when we gen a world we could chose which raw set to use. Then those raw files would be copied to the world folder. Installing a new mod would be as simple as making a new folder in the template directory and coping the new raws there.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4997 on: September 24, 2009, 04:06:11 pm »

Also, I'd love to see Footkercheif's notes system--assuming he isn't just recalling them all from the depths of his infinite memory.

Just memory + searching.

to be a slight pest, i am reposting an old question that never got answered.

will we be able to manage our modded raws from in game, or will we have to do that manually?

for example:

We could have a teplate raw folder that would keep all the mods separate, and when we gen a world we could chose which raw set to use. Then those raw files would be copied to the world folder. Installing a new mod would be as simple as making a new folder in the template directory and coping the new raws there.

Most of that functionality is going on.  There will still be only one main raw folder, but it'll get copied into the world folder during worldgen.  When generating a new world, it sounds like you can choose whether to use the main raws or ones from a particular save.  If you wanted to save a "template," I suppose you could just generate an extra pocket world.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:07:50 pm by Footkerchief »

KillerClowns

• Bay Watcher
  • Demonologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4998 on: September 24, 2009, 04:11:23 pm »

The problem is that Disease has a very loose definition. That is why we need to fret over the differences or at least to get a proper definition of Disease into play even if that definition is "A Condition with a disease flag".

A disease could be defined as a type of curse, with a non-magical cause, realistic effects, and a similarly mundane cure.  Or a curse could be defined as a disease with a magical cause and more exotic effects.  Or both could be a subset of a "condition" superset.  I'm not sure which of these would be easier to implement, program, and arrange, but from a game play perspective, I think the distinction is academic.  Any of these, especially if there's no explicit "[IS_DISEASE]" or "[IS_CURSE]" tag, would also allow for all sorts of fun magical diseases to blur the line between the two, especially in the more twisted sphere-affected lands.  EDIT: for example, a disease that acts just like a normal disease, save that the pustules it causes BURST INTO MAGICAL FLAME.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 04:14:42 pm by KillerClowns »
"A rational enemy is better than a foolish friend." -Arab proverb

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4999 on: September 24, 2009, 04:49:08 pm »

Yay! Healthcare is done!
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5000 on: September 24, 2009, 08:00:36 pm »

Yay! Healthcare is done!

and without blanking anything out either

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5001 on: September 24, 2009, 09:35:51 pm »

I'd like to add a couple of ideas to the whole "blue feldspar" discussion.

A: An in game geologist should be called a prospector.

B: I like the idea of the stones having mythical names, like salmon-stone, or red-brick.
And before you get your prospector, they could show up as "blueish stone" and red stone".

Also, regarding metals, ALL dwarfs can identify the basic/ most important metals!
If you live underground, surrounded by stones, only the rarest of metals and stone types would be new to you.

Then instead of "likes microline, microline, and microline, it would be "likes blue colored stones."
Of course, the nobles would be educated and have a better idea of exactly what they want, and request a specific stone by name.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5002 on: September 24, 2009, 09:39:58 pm »

One problem is the limitation of predictions as a whole.

It may only peirce 1 of 2 squares at most and even then it should fail most of the time.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #5003 on: September 24, 2009, 09:54:37 pm »

I don't think that there should be any predictions.
That would sort of break the game in my eyes.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: September 24, 2009, 11:00:50 pm »

A disease could be defined as a type of curse, with a non-magical cause, realistic effects, and a similarly mundane cure.  Or a curse could be defined as a disease with a magical cause and more exotic effects.  Or both could be a subset of a "condition" superset.  I'm not sure which of these would be easier to implement, program, and arrange, but from a game play perspective, I think the distinction is academic.  Any of these, especially if there's no explicit "[IS_DISEASE]" or "[IS_CURSE]" tag, would also allow for all sorts of fun magical diseases to blur the line between the two, especially in the more twisted sphere-affected lands.  EDIT: for example, a disease that acts just like a normal disease, save that the pustules it causes BURST INTO MAGICAL FLAME.

I rambled about this a dozen or two dozen posts ago, and Toady said a bunch about it in response (which I wasn't expecting, but woo anyway).

Also:
Reply #5000 on: Today at 05:49:08 PM
Woo, another meaningless milestone!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5005 on: September 24, 2009, 11:12:31 pm »

I rambled about this a dozen or two dozen posts ago, and Toady said a bunch about it in response

Link?

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: September 25, 2009, 12:47:48 am »

All right, half the list categories are greened out. Hm... where is the progress bar guy :p ?

Yeah that thing was awesome.  It would have been even cooler if it was an animation showing progress since the list started, with a frame for each day or something, although that's not possible now.
Might be, depends how much more the forum software keeps for admins to look at. If it saves all the edits, then Toady could look at it...a pitfall would be that some of the lists were less populated when it was made (squads, notably) so you don't have the same number of items at all times.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: September 25, 2009, 12:48:16 am »

Can materials be modded in that decay into misama like chunks do?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5008 on: September 25, 2009, 01:22:47 am »

Can materials be modded in that decay into misama like chunks do?

I looked through the material template preview and couldn't find any tags relating to rotting.  However, there's an item in the List (under "Some other unfinished business") for "Handling butchery/rot/fish cleaning/eat leavings vs. body materials."  The answer will probably be yes but I don't think we'll know for sure until he gets to that item.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: September 25, 2009, 02:50:26 am »

I'd like to see chunks of meltable (or otherwise self-degrading) material undergo the process slowly. Like, if there's a chunk of ice on the floor, it will slowly lose quality until it disappears, and at the same time there would be a puddle of water slowly forming underneath it.

Which, through a complex mental interlink involving one of the early bugs involving glaciers melting beneath the surface and falling out of the world when embarked on, brings me to this question:
Will the new cavernous formations be adjustable through worldgen? Meaning, adjustable for depth, size, "cavernousness"? At some points it'd be very interesting to see massive underground caverns that literally make you embark on a hollow shell instead of a mountainside.

Also, limegreen is a lot better than green as the question color if you use darkling.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 332 333 [334] 335 336 ... 1065