Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578289 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4650 on: September 14, 2009, 07:51:52 am »

It's cold enough underground.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: September 14, 2009, 08:58:46 am »

Or wait a few versions and have your alchemist create booze that ignites at room temperature. You have to be in a cold biome to pull it off though.

I'd love to see dwarves try to drink that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: September 14, 2009, 09:07:53 am »

It's called Scotch Whiskey, isn't it?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: September 14, 2009, 10:21:26 am »

I know I already asked this in the DF talk #3 thread, but it doesn't hurt to ask here as well.

Will the liason and the king/queen be replaced by a successor in the new version?

I'm just wondering about this as it would make sense. If the king/queen had any children, the eldest would ascend to the throne. If there aren't any heirs, I'm not sure how they do it but they definetly select a new monarch in the legends when there aren't any heirs.

To balance it out, maybe it would take a few years for a liason to be selected again (to discourage abuse of intentionally killing the liason).

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: September 14, 2009, 12:04:29 pm »

Dwarf creature with the highest Social stats in the Civ could become King if there was no heir... but there is always an heir... even if it's brother's wife's sisters dog's mother's owner... you'll always find some tenuous link to the throne.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: September 14, 2009, 12:10:19 pm »

Dwarf creature with the highest Social stats in the Civ could become King if there was no heir... but there is always an heir... even if it's brother's wife's sisters dog's mother's owner... you'll always find some tenuous link to the throne.

It should take a bit more then that and even being liked. They should be respectable as well

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: September 14, 2009, 01:55:08 pm »

Tracking family relationships must be hell to do since there isn't a 'family name' along the paternal or maternal line. If it was documented meticulously, perhaps, but still.....

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: September 14, 2009, 02:09:08 pm »

Tracking family relationships must be hell to do since there isn't a 'family name' along the paternal or maternal line. If it was documented meticulously, perhaps, but still.....

Every creature has a mother and a father...  Everything else is just definitions and tree traversal (I live in an SQL world... ;))

Are non-dwarf civ members going to be fixed this time around (for leaders)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 02:10:59 pm by Granite26 »

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: September 14, 2009, 02:25:09 pm »

as far as I know, they aren't broken
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: September 14, 2009, 02:25:46 pm »

Why would you want to stop them from breeding?  I don't see the point to that.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: September 14, 2009, 02:33:06 pm »

Do you mean the stuff like the Titan Queen? I'm sure it'll at least be broken in a different way, due to the changes in entity positions.  On the other hand, a similar problem with children of goblin captives is NOT getting fixed yet, so who knows:

Quote from: Mephansteras
Will the bug with intelligent captives/tamed creatures starving/dying of thirst be fixed for this release? Also, if you have tames intelligent creatures (like *-men) will they use equipment in the new version?

Do I even know about that bug?  I don't think I did anything in particular there in any case.

Tame intelligent creatures?  Do you mean a mod of some kind?

First off, thanks for all the answers!

And to answer your question, it's a problem both with modded creatures (like tamable Tigermen that the elves can bring) as well as children born to captive invaders. So if a goblin gives birth after you've captured her, her children will be friendly and run around for a while, but eventually die of thirst because they don't have the AI to actually eat food or drink anything.

I'll see if I can get a save that has the bug in it. When I do I'll submit a bug report on it. (or if anyone else has one handy, that'd be good too).

Ah, I see.  So no, I didn't fix that, but I can note it down.  It's the kind of thing that's a bit involved, and could either be fixed earlier or at the time things like multi-racial forts go in (such as being able to let a human adventurer stay on for a while or having an inn or being forced to take care of displaced humans, that kind of thing).

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: September 14, 2009, 02:47:47 pm »

I believe they mean problems like with Cacame- integrated conquerees e'entually getting the nobility positions, but being bugged when they show up in Friendly and howe'er.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: September 14, 2009, 04:42:51 pm »

Do you mean the stuff like the Titan Queen? I'm sure it'll at least be broken in a different way, due to the changes in entity positions.  On the other hand, a similar problem with children of goblin captives is NOT getting fixed yet, so who knows:

Will the bug with intelligent captives/tamed creatures starving/dying of thirst be fixed for this release? Also, if you have tames intelligent creatures (like *-men) will they use equipment in the new version?

Do I even know about that bug?  I don't think I did anything in particular there in any case.

And to answer your question, it's a problem both with modded creatures (like tamable Tigermen that the elves can bring) as well as children born to captive invaders. So if a goblin gives birth after you've captured her, her children will be friendly and run around for a while, but eventually die of thirst because they don't have the AI to actually eat food or drink anything.

I'll see if I can get a save that has the bug in it. When I do I'll submit a bug report on it. (or if anyone else has one handy, that'd be good too).

Ah, I see.  So no, I didn't fix that, but I can note it down.  It's the kind of thing that's a bit involved, and could either be fixed earlier or at the time things like multi-racial forts go in (such as being able to let a human adventurer stay on for a while or having an inn or being forced to take care of displaced humans, that kind of thing).

Yeah, I remember seeing that now...

:(  I meant the king showing up and being an Elf

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: September 14, 2009, 04:53:39 pm »

That's only a problem if dwarven rulership is hereditary. Nothing I've seen suggests it is. Even nobles' children need to work for their bread in a fortress. There seems to be some sort of Council of Lords or something that elects the King, so if they choose an elf, hey, they chose an elf.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: September 14, 2009, 05:12:18 pm »

I had an elf liason once, of a DWARVEN civ. She may have been an elf, but she was pretty damn fast and could probably outrun any ambush. She never complained about me buying wood though.

@corvvs: So, a little bit like the Roman Senate? From what I've seen in the legends, the successor is by default the eldest (I think) child.
Pages: 1 ... 309 310 [311] 312 313 ... 1065