Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578311 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4635 on: September 13, 2009, 12:35:33 pm »

I thought the logic of having a long development was because there were several things that would've broken save compatibility in this release.  Or something like that.

To expand on that, it's because one little thing (something about the military) was going to break save compatability for the first time since the 2D-3D transition (I believe), so he decided to throw in all sorts of other awesome stuff he'd been putting off for a long time because they also broke save compatability.

With all of those out of the way now, future releases won't take as long as this one for a long time, if ever; I imagine that there's still quite a few save-compatability-breaking features that didn't make it into the upcoming version because they require something else that's not implemented yet, though, so we might see another one eventually, but not for a long time.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: September 13, 2009, 01:22:33 pm »

I thought the logic of having a long development was because there were several things that would've broken save compatibility in this release.  Or something like that.

That was part of the logic.  Toady's most in-depth explanation is here.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4637 on: September 13, 2009, 04:50:00 pm »

I will wait patiently, no matter what!
This game is worth anything really...
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: September 13, 2009, 07:02:17 pm »

I will wait patiently, no matter what!
This game is worth anything really...

At least Toady updates us and answers questions.

Even now the treatment I am used to outside of here is that a Author will pretty much stop updating making you wonder if he is on haitus, stopped working all together, or is just taking a long time (Most of the time, they are on Pernament Haitus... They will NEVER say "Ohh I don't want to do it anymore" no they are pernamently in the state where they may work on it again). Best of all the author will rip into you if you even ask about the next installment.

Hense why it Toady still surprises me even though I have been on these boards for over a year. I am sure I will get used to it eventually but still... WOW!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: September 14, 2009, 12:01:56 am »

With the upcoming improvements to sieges has there been discussion on how far from the edge of a map the player can build? If you create an encircling wall around ten tiles from the map edge will the game force siege engines and enemy base camps to be within easy range of crossbows?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4640 on: September 14, 2009, 01:08:47 am »

I think that the updates will cruise along like this until he gets a bit further, then slow suddenly. But, who are we to try rush toady. Although... this update is going to change the game. Radically.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: September 14, 2009, 02:26:37 am »

With the upcoming improvements to sieges has there been discussion on how far from the edge of a map the player can build? If you create an encircling wall around ten tiles from the map edge will the game force siege engines and enemy base camps to be within easy range of crossbows?
In common gameplay that would never happen, especially on the 8x8 square maps i play on. for the minimum size map it would be of concern, but not really something that needs fixing.
besides, they could always undermine the wall and (gasp!) sap it!
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

darkevilme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: September 14, 2009, 05:54:52 am »

In common gameplay that would never happen, especially on the 8x8 square maps i play on. for the minimum size map it would be of concern, but not really something that needs fixing.
besides, they could always undermine the wall and (gasp!) sap it!
Sneaky Sappers have been spotted!
A portion of our walls have collapsed!
An invading army has arrived!
We are Besieged!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: September 14, 2009, 07:16:28 am »

Well Sieging needs to be brutal since Dwarves defy most of what was effective of seiges.

A) They are entirely self sufficiant
B) They are not reliant on the land for anything

If this truely was the Medieval times the Dwarves would be next to unbeatable.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: September 14, 2009, 07:20:10 am »

Like hell they would! Throw a burning tunic in, and waltz in a day later to put the fires out!
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: September 14, 2009, 07:21:58 am »

Throw some burning socks, instead.  They have more burnination for the money.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Tack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: September 14, 2009, 07:29:35 am »

If i was worried about money, I'd tell them there was something shiny behind the warm wall. Or - alternatively, Just trade with them and sell them some burning stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: September 14, 2009, 07:38:43 am »

This is ignoring their flagrant stupidity.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: September 14, 2009, 07:44:29 am »

Or wait a few versions and have your alchemist create booze that ignites at room temperature. You have to be in a cold biome to pull it off though.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: September 14, 2009, 07:46:03 am »

Or wait a few versions and have your alchemist create booze that ignites at room temperature. You have to be in a cold biome to pull it off though.

Oddly enough this actually follows certain laws of physics.
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 1065