Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575307 times)

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4620 on: September 13, 2009, 12:13:39 am »

i don't know about traps, but the next few releases will have armies marching on the overland map, i don't think they will deal with the more detailed things that are found in the area maps.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: September 13, 2009, 04:25:31 am »

There's 3 release, IIRC. The next one include everything in this topic, the other create real armies on the map, and the third replace our currently generated sieges by real armies. Don't quote me on that though, since the page where it was displayed seems to be no longer findable.

Anyway, the ability to control armies will be implemented, but that's not something we'll see until the next year, and we would be lucky if it's not worst than that.

Kinnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: September 13, 2009, 05:38:59 am »

My hammerer's been living off of a single 6 deep puddle in his locked and sealed room for 3 years.

No toilet? There you go, it's a closed system. He's replenishing it himself.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: September 13, 2009, 05:57:12 am »

... So basically... this is an awesome - huge update... Before another one in the series of impossibly huge updates!? Damn.

Oh, and Chronas? Sigged.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: September 13, 2009, 07:49:20 am »

first sig... awesome
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: September 13, 2009, 08:22:31 am »

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: September 13, 2009, 08:27:15 am »

... So basically... this is an awesome - huge update... Before another one in the series of impossibly huge updates!? Damn.

The current update (yes, the one that have been worked on for 1 year and which is still far away from release) represent 6 out of 49 feature planned on Dev_next, which list the near-future goals for DF's development. So it's safe to say that yes, the next release will also take some time.

But I guess that Toady is currently working on a lot of underground (haha) mechanics who'll speed up the programming of the other updates.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: September 13, 2009, 09:01:08 am »

I wouldn't mind another huge release like this actually. I mean, you'd get bored trying before the next release comes out but that would give you time to properly play with the new freatures and come up with new deathworks megaprojects
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4628 on: September 13, 2009, 10:22:15 am »

I like the dev-rate too. The nice slow, feature by feature temptation that is dev-log always gets me excited.
If I could live forever, and the next version literally never came out, I could still just lay around and enjoy the dev-log.
It's always so interesting and Toady is so damn genius!

But I just got a really sweet idea, that would give us a whole new way to mess with the water physics system and
considering what is already in the game wouldn't take very long to add in.

What if there was a workshop you could build next to a water source, (a pump may be required for its construction)
which could use one barrel, reduce the adjacent water tile value by 2 and leave you with a water-filled barrel?

Then you could store your water in stock piles, or carry it between forts, or If you live in the desert, buy it from elves.
Also, you could "build" one of these barrels somewhere, then have your dwarf "activate it" similar to a lever. It would then be replaced by the amount of water supposedly in it.

Tell me this doesn't sound like tons of fun/strange projects waiting to happen.
Also, the amount of water stored per barrel (I'm guessing 2 would be reasonable) is subject to argument.

EDIT: Also, it would be a good way to refill limited wells or reservoirs.

EDIT: Ooh, ooh! Imagine if you could build a lot of them over open space and hook them all up to a lever!
I doubt this will get implemented, or at least not soon. But I really like the idea.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:26:20 am by Outcast Orange »
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: September 13, 2009, 10:27:53 am »

yay it's closed to being released :D

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: September 13, 2009, 10:48:45 am »

I like the dev-rate too. The nice slow, feature by feature temptation that is dev-log always gets me excited.
If I could live forever, and the next version literally never came out, I could still just lay around and enjoy the dev-log.
It's always so interesting and Toady is so damn genius!

But I just got a really sweet idea, that would give us a whole new way to mess with the water physics system and
considering what is already in the game wouldn't take very long to add in.

What if there was a workshop you could build next to a water source, (a pump may be required for its construction)
which could use one barrel, reduce the adjacent water tile value by 2 and leave you with a water-filled barrel?

Then you could store your water in stock piles, or carry it between forts, or If you live in the desert, buy it from elves.
Also, you could "build" one of these barrels somewhere, then have your dwarf "activate it" similar to a lever. It would then be replaced by the amount of water supposedly in it.

Tell me this doesn't sound like tons of fun/strange projects waiting to happen.
Also, the amount of water stored per barrel (I'm guessing 2 would be reasonable) is subject to argument.

EDIT: Also, it would be a good way to refill limited wells or reservoirs.

EDIT: Ooh, ooh! Imagine if you could build a lot of them over open space and hook them all up to a lever!
I doubt this will get implemented, or at least not soon. But I really like the idea.
I second this, but I also think it is of topic for this thread.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: September 13, 2009, 11:20:48 am »

It will be awesome, yes. I'd love a real water consumption, right now you can provide water to an entire fortress with a simple 1*1*1 pit of water.

About the amount 2 tiles (I'm assuming you meant tiles) means 14 unit of water. Currently, water is actually carried around (but not depleted from the original source) by buckets, which can carry 7 units of water IIRC, so I guess 14 units is a bit low. 20 units (or, for the sake of simplicity, 21 units) will be more appropriate.
Also, it could be simpler to pit/pond using barrels.

Hm, we're a bit off topic.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4632 on: September 13, 2009, 11:55:46 am »

It will be awesome, yes. I'd love a real water consumption, right now you can provide water to an entire fortress with a simple 1*1*1 pit of water.

About the amount 2 tiles (I'm assuming you meant tiles) means 14 unit of water. Currently, water is actually carried around (but not depleted from the original source) by buckets, which can carry 7 units of water IIRC, so I guess 14 units is a bit low. 20 units (or, for the sake of simplicity, 21 units) will be more appropriate.
Also, it could be simpler to pit/pond using barrels.

Hm, we're a bit off topic.

Actually, I meant 2 units, but I guess that is unreasonably low.
But just for the sake of fun, I think 15, or a little over two buckets full would be a good amount for each barrel.

Also, sorry about off topic.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: September 13, 2009, 12:22:16 pm »

The current update (yes, the one that have been worked on for 1 year and which is still far away from release) represent 6 out of 49 feature planned on Dev_next, which list the near-future goals for DF's development. So it's safe to say that yes, the next release will also take some time.

He's said repeatedly that he never wants another release to take this long again.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: September 13, 2009, 12:27:19 pm »

I thought the logic of having a long development was because there were several things that would've broken save compatibility in this release.  Or something like that.

And, to be fair, this release tackles 6 pretty tough dev_next items.  Stuff like:
Eggs and feathers, associated skills and objects
And:
Optional presence of some randomized vermin
Shouldn't be as hard as some of the more open ended ones tackled in this release.
Pages: 1 ... 307 308 [309] 310 311 ... 1065