Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3573520 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4590 on: September 11, 2009, 05:37:39 pm »

Any plans for catgut?

This would require sorting out the guts/intestines as a seperate extractable part, but having "chunks" and "guts" wouldn't be too bad. A potential simplified process

1. Get Guts
2. Get 1 bucket of Lye
3. Go to Butchery
4. ???
5. CATGUT

I'd only recommend adding it if we wanted to make bow/crossbow production more elaborate (which would be a good balancing mechanism for the current absurd strength of ranged weapons) and perhaps make stringed instruments more valuable/usable.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: September 11, 2009, 05:43:21 pm »

Oh Toady, sorry about your mum's flowers.  We haven't had a vase with flowers in for 6 years for that exact reason.  A few weeks ago I was given a nice bunch and forgot about the cat thing.  Next morning I had a lovely vase full of dead stalks.

If there is anything you really don't want Scamps to eat... squirt a little lemon juice on/near it to keep him away.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #4592 on: September 11, 2009, 06:16:45 pm »

Also, ASCII wind visuals would be hot.
quick attempt

I think this would be the best elf siege ever.

The freakin' grass comes to get you.

So...The Happening.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4593 on: September 11, 2009, 06:27:01 pm »

On trees this could look awesome if leaves get a own tile. The algorithm should be very similiar to the algorithm that generates waves on the ocean.

Grasses actually can get a pretty decent size, some get over 1.80 Meters (f.e: Calamagrostis acutiflora). Bamboo is actually a grass. Lets dont forget stuff like Giant Hogweed which actually pretty dangerous.

The size of plants could be actually be part of the description for plants if plantgathering gets more detailed - maybe as part of some kind of encyclopaedia like this:

This is giant Hogweed (Mundane).

Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as in burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary.

Giant Hogweed may reach 2-5 metres (rarely to 7 m) tall.  a stout, dark reddish-purple stem and spotted leaf stalks that are hollow and produce sturdy bristles. Stems vary from 3-8 cm in diameter, occasionally up to 10 cm. The stem shows a purplish-red pigmentation with raised nodules. [....]

Especally as soon we get to stock fantasy and procedural generated plants a little herbalistic ececlopedia might be usefull - as well as books for herbalists.

Would it possible to give wounds and rotting/infected tissue the chance to emit Miasma in small amounts? The smell in hospitals etc. wasnt. that likeable in the medieval times.

Ok back To something different:

Mostly because there's no reference to Montesquieu's tripartite system, almost everything is under the noble's rule, though right now the king got less power then the mayor   ;D

OK this only a theory but maybe King is only some official title and Mayors, dukes etc. are part of a mix from a "elective monarchy"  like in the old "Holy Roman Empire of German Nation" and a "representative Monarchy". Dukes (all along with other rights like setting taxes, mining rights etc.) might have the right to elect (and remove) a king/ royal bloodline from their group. The King at himself doesnt need that much additional rights if Kingship among dwarfs is more a representative thing.

This could mean the king Represents the dwarven civ to the other civs in negotiations, is the highest military officer and Ruler (aka. Mayor) of the capitol with or without own Land. He also could be some Kind of more or less neutral Judge in twists between 2 or more dukes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 06:39:26 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: September 11, 2009, 06:30:45 pm »

I can imagine the hilarious early bugs that could appear if it was modelled with Dwarf Physics.

"It has started to rain."
"It has become windy outside."
"Urist McHauler cancels Store item in stockpile: job item displaced by breeze."

etc
"Urist McOutdoorsy cancels Stand in field: resting injury."
"Urist McOutdoorsy has collided with an obstacle."
"Urist McOutdoorsy has been struck down."

This is a masterful engraving of a dwarf and wind by Urist McWritesOnWalls.
It depicts a rendition of an image of a dwarf and a gust of wind.
The gust of wind is menacing the dwarf.
The artwork relates to the death of Urist McOutdoorsy at the hands of weather in Golimothuk in 304.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: September 11, 2009, 06:41:20 pm »

Grasses actually can get a pretty decent size, some get over 1.80 Meters (f.e: Calamagrostis acutiflora). Bamboo is actually a grass. Lets dont forget stuff like Giant Hogweed which actually pretty dangerous.

The size of plants could be actually be part of the description for plants if plantgathering gets more detailed - maybe as part of some kind of encyclopaedia like this:

This is giant Hogweed (Mundane).

Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as in burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary.

Giant Hogweed may reach 2-5 metres (rarely to 7 m) tall.  a stout, dark reddish-purple stem and spotted leaf stalks that are hollow and produce sturdy bristles. Stems vary from 3-8 cm in diameter, occasionally up to 10 cm. The stem shows a purplish-red pigmentation with raised nodules. [....]

Especally as soon we get to stock fantasy and procedural generated plants a little herbalistic ececlopedia might be usefull - as well as books for herbalists.

Yeah, there are quite a few real life dangerous plants. Also reminds me of a weed (type of milk-weed) we have in our area that makes livestock (and presumably people too) very sick when they eat it. I wonder why the herbalist never mis-identifies an herb and brings poison to the dinner table.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: September 11, 2009, 06:45:37 pm »

I wonder why the herbalist never mis-identifies an herb and brings poison to the dinner table.

Because it's not implemented yet?

Mis-identifying herbs is perhaps a bit out there, and having outright poisonous plants that the player has to sort through would be too cumbersome. The best solution is to have plants which have a percent chance of being dangerous, or are dangerous if threshed/processed/cooked improperly.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: September 11, 2009, 06:56:26 pm »

Hmmm somehow i cant write replies anymore. solved

I can imagine the hilarious early bugs that could appear if it was modelled with Dwarf Physics.

"It has started to rain."
  "It has become windy outside."

etc
  "Urist McOutdoorsy cancels Stand in field: resting injury."
  "Urist McOutdoorsy has collided with an obstacle."
  "Urist McOutdoorsy has been struck down."

This is a masterful engraving of a dwarf and wind by Urist McWritesOnWalls.
  It depicts a rendition of an image of a dwarf and a gust of wind.
  The gust of wind is menacing the dwarf.
  The artwork relates to the death of Urist McOutdoorsy at the hands of weather in Golimothuk in 304.

Storyteller voice

And so the stench of urists rotting corpse, driven by the winds eastwards lead a ratmen to the fort in the "Plains of wind". Covered by the high grasses the vile creature observed, planned and made a decission:

"This strangly small Humans have to die like all their brethren. They have to die because noone raids the lands of the "Sharp tooth" clan." it spoke to itself.

/storyteller voice

For better understanding: Miasma (smells, Pollen etc.) could also be moved by around by wind. This could enable new behaviors like a animal noticing someone by his smell.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:01:08 pm by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: September 11, 2009, 07:06:59 pm »

Would it possible to give wounds and rotting/infected tissue the chance to emit Miasma in small amounts? The smell in hospitals etc. wasnt. that likeable in the medieval times.

The smell of rotting tissue came up in the dev log recently.  It sounds like there wasn't time to implement it for this release, but you can probably count on it when he finishes infections for a later release.

09/05/2009: They excise rotten tissue from wounds now, and they'll amputate limbs that are too rotted to save. Fortunately, I remembered to make them check that they aren't amputating important bits like the head or lower body (although if the head or lower body is actually that rotten, the critter probably would have died already just from raw body damage). Since I had to put infections and systemic problems off, the rotting tissue isn't indirectly harmful like it should be, so for now we can consider it part of odor prevention or something. Though rotting wounds don't smell either. I guess we can just consider it valuable practice for budding surgeons.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: September 11, 2009, 07:10:51 pm »

My bad XD i am just to tired right now. Thanks anyway.

Proud to be a Furry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4600 on: September 12, 2009, 04:14:06 am »

Today's dev log is cool.  Forced baths/showers will actually get dwarves clean now, and we MIGHT get simplified wound infection after all!

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4601 on: September 12, 2009, 07:58:49 am »

DWARVEN WASHING MACHIIIIIINE

I had hoped that soap would be involved somehow, but either way I am pleased.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4602 on: September 12, 2009, 08:40:43 am »

my next megaproject is to make a bathhouse for my upper caste dorfs, water heated by magma and pumped by lesser dorfs to a depth of 4.
I will also give the option to release caged mermaids into the bath, with sexy results.
My bathhouse will also include lockable floodgates and the ability raise level to 7, with sexy results.
Also included is the ability to pour magma into the chamber instead of water, with sexy results.
Finally the option to add both water and magma at the same time is included, with Han Solo results.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #4603 on: September 12, 2009, 09:07:19 am »

This latest dev-log is so amazing! Toady is really getting things done!

It all sounds so cool.
This next version is really going to be extra special.

Keep rocking on, Toady!

[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4604 on: September 12, 2009, 11:48:35 am »

my next megaproject is to make a bathhouse for my upper caste dorfs, water heated by magma and pumped by lesser dorfs to a depth of 4.
I will also give the option to release caged mermaids into the bath, with sexy results.
My bathhouse will also include lockable floodgates and the ability raise level to 7, with sexy results.
Also included is the ability to pour magma into the chamber instead of water, with sexy results.
Finally the option to add both water and magma at the same time is included, with Han Solo results.

If you make mermaids tamable and a dwarf takes one on as a pet... that could have some sexy results.

But then that says something creepy about the pets Dwarves adopt currently.

Pages: 1 ... 305 306 [307] 308 309 ... 1065