Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3575298 times)

tomato

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4500 on: September 08, 2009, 02:43:49 pm »

I have a feeling the surgeons may go the way of the Sheriff in the respect that he does something with no real benefit, just nasty things that end up killing or maiming your dwarves.
I fail to see any problem with this. Au contraire, I see possibilities of limitless Fun!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4501 on: September 08, 2009, 02:49:38 pm »

I have a feeling the surgeons may go the way of the Sheriff in the respect that he does something with no real benefit, just nasty things that end up killing or maiming your dwarves.

Once you realize the changes to the Sheriff role that the next release (squads and entity positions) will involve, your understanding will be complete.

/pedantic

Pretty much dead on, except that the Sheriff position should be updated and made useful in the next release.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4502 on: September 08, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

Actually, that qualification makes it exactly dead on.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4503 on: September 08, 2009, 03:15:08 pm »

Yay! I have been sigged I am now official! And it only took 2 1/2 years! give me a hug guys!

*hug*

Anyway the sheriff doesn't seem to be too bad really, he sticks tantrumming folks in jail where if properly prepared you can bombard them with happy thoughts.  ("Oh what a nice platinum chain, wow is that an engraving of cheese? The bed menaces with spikes! Rapture! I have my own personal booze stockpile? Wow!") Sure he sometimes forgets to release them afterward, but it usually ends up working out.

The hammerer is the sucker that needs locked up.  I have never seen a hammering that didn't result in a dead or crippled resident.  That guy scares me.  Now that he'll lead the royal guard I'll be in a quandary.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4504 on: September 08, 2009, 03:26:38 pm »

It would be good if a well functioning justice system acted as a deterrant, so the Hammerer's random bone smashing attacks wouldn't be for naught.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4505 on: September 08, 2009, 03:48:15 pm »

Would that make 'urist has feared for his life recently' a happy thought? To stop them tantrumming.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4506 on: September 08, 2009, 04:15:23 pm »

Amputations will solve the problem of having too few gauntlets or steel high boots.

Yep. Now humans won't see naked, stubby, bearded beings covered in vomit, blood and mud running to the trade depot.
Now they'll also be missing their legs and arms, yet still somehow jumping while hauling kitten mittens.

That's why you build a giant dwarf washer in a high traffic area. They like the mist, and might even get some swimming practise if you do it right. :)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4507 on: September 08, 2009, 05:41:18 pm »

The justice system actually saved my current 20-year fort from tantrum spiraling to death in the fourth or fifth year, if that's any indication of how useful it actually is.

Damn goblins killed everyone's friends, but the Fortress Guard jailed quite a few of the tantrumming dwarves before they could start killing anyone else. I went down from 120-150 dwarves to about 30-50, and I'm sure it would have been a lot worse without the massive happiness boost dwarves get from being released from jail.

Only one dwarf actually starved; he was my favorite dwarf, sadly, but his sacrifice was apparently worthy enough to Armok to grant Him favor enough to spare my fortress.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 05:43:37 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4508 on: September 08, 2009, 07:32:28 pm »

Except for fixing your dwarves, of course.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4509 on: September 08, 2009, 07:45:09 pm »

Except for fixing your dwarves, of course.
Right, nasty.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4510 on: September 08, 2009, 11:59:12 pm »

They're dwarven doctors. Painboyz would scream and run in terror.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4511 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:50 am »

This is pretty much the silliest thing I have ever heard. Stitching up your wounds and fixing your broken bones isn't of any real benefit?

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4512 on: September 09, 2009, 12:24:50 am »

I just wanna say that I am REALLY looking forward to the caste system.

It shows so much potential for modding!

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4513 on: September 09, 2009, 03:51:10 am »

I haven't read much about the caste system, can you explain, or provide a link?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4514 on: September 09, 2009, 04:22:18 am »

I haven't read much about the caste system, can you explain, or provide a link?

Castes (or morphs, as Toady was calling them at one point) are subtypes of a creature.  Most creatures just have a male and female caste, but others, like antmen, will have queens, workers, drones and so on, with different bodies and behaviors (and profession names, and ASCII tiles, etc.).  Reproduction can occur between any two castes marked MALE and FEMALE, and the caste of any resulting offspring is determined solely by the creature's caste ratios, not by the castes of the parents.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 04:23:53 am by Footkerchief »
Pages: 1 ... 299 300 [301] 302 303 ... 1065