Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1065

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items  (Read 3578410 times)

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: List of Remaining Items
« Reply #4470 on: September 06, 2009, 08:27:44 pm »

Also Sandbox trees (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandbox_tree) can throw their seeds 100 meters.  Also called the 'dynamite tree' because of the sound it makes.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #4471 on: September 06, 2009, 08:45:23 pm »

This off topic stuff is off topic
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4472 on: September 06, 2009, 09:29:25 pm »

Not really.  We are discussing exploding trees, due to a suggestion.

But it does belong in another thread.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #4473 on: September 06, 2009, 11:31:02 pm »

"Ok Jim, your new arm is all attached and ready to go after that training accident with the *Obsidian Shortsword*.  It might start grabbing for your head now and then, don't worry, it's just after your delicious squishy brains."
Sig'd
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Shad0wyone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4474 on: September 07, 2009, 12:25:28 am »

Awesome to see the new version is still going strong, we'll probably see the new version by the end of the year.

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
« Reply #4475 on: September 07, 2009, 04:19:28 am »

Is rotting tissue the only reason they amputate? They should also do it in the case of extremely painful injuries or breaks that won't heal, or when there's a lot of damage to the limb's circulatory structure.

Are we going to see societies that use amputation as punishment? It'd be funny to add "Getting a hand chopped off" to punish_severe for things like stealing. You could also have surgeons acting as torturers in societies where that sort of thing wasn't looked down upon. I can see a goblin putting out an elf's eye in order to convince him to give up the location of the druid's hideout, or hobbling dwarf prisoners to keep them from running away.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 07:49:10 am by Koji »
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #4476 on: September 07, 2009, 04:42:17 am »

I suspect the hammerer will cause many hands and heads to be amputated without any intervention. Crushed bones don't heal so cleanly.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4477 on: September 07, 2009, 07:34:30 am »

Even if infection isn't in, there needs to be some good reason to do surgery. Right now it sounds like there's no reason for a dwarf full of rotting tissue to go to a doctor... unless he's Resting as long as he's got that, in which case I suppose it works.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4478 on: September 07, 2009, 02:55:42 pm »

Toady's comment about the dragons that grew until their size ended up negative made me wonder... Can we give creatures a negative number for growth rate? So for example could we start the world off with Megabeasts that have size 300 and a growth rate of -1 per year... untill they reached size 50... after 250 years...  That way they would really clean up during early world gen ... but after a while they would be much easier to take out.

I used to play a game called Subspace (now called Continuum), it was great and fairly modable... I had put together a mod based on one ship's bombs doing negative damage and thus acting as sort of a medic class for non-regenerating ships... but then they fixed the "bug" of allowing explosives to do negative damage. :(

SirPenguin

• Bay Watcher
  • NEVER A DULL MOMENT IN MID-WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4479 on: September 07, 2009, 11:37:52 pm »

Even if infection isn't in, there needs to be some good reason to do surgery. Right now it sounds like there's no reason for a dwarf full of rotting tissue to go to a doctor... unless he's Resting as long as he's got that, in which case I suppose it works.

Yeah, seriously. It was pretty frustrating reading today's DevNotes. "Here's something Dwarves now do...except there's absolutely no reason for it". I understand there WILL be a reason for it in the future...but by the sounds of things, it'll be the FAR off future...so why even bother? You'd think Toady would want to focus on the important bits.

Ah well.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4480 on: September 07, 2009, 11:41:38 pm »

There just isn't anyway around that SirPenguin. The problem is that the important bits are burried in a pile of alterations the game needs to work.

To quote Toady: "After the Carrivan Arc" x 100

Right now Toady is focused on changes to Dwarf Fortress that will break Save Compatability and other fun stuff.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4481 on: September 07, 2009, 11:53:18 pm »

There just isn't anyway around that SirPenguin. The problem is that the important bits are burried in a pile of alterations the game needs to work.

To quote Toady: "After the Carrivan Arc" x 100

Right now Toady is focused on changes to Dwarf Fortress that will break Save Compatability and other fun stuff.

Actually, infections and diseases would be one short step farther on the current system.

That said, it's a good idea to make sure the core system works before throwing this wrench into the mix. I'd be fine with accepting "Dwarf will not get out of bed until you perform surgery" for the interim, if a poison release is much shorter.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4482 on: September 08, 2009, 12:04:53 am »

One reason for amputation under current is that amputated bits won't be causing pain, stun, etc. now that phantom limb pain is fixed-

Quote from: Toady One's devlog 1/12/2009
(so the original goal which initiated the wound/layer rewrite, getting rid of phantom limb pain and other annoying permanent pain situations, has been met)

if I understand it right, lea'ing it on would make a dwarf's life pain. Job cancellation spam!
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Emeralddragon2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4483 on: September 08, 2009, 02:06:35 am »

...Are we going to see societies that use amputation as punishment? It'd be funny to add "Getting a hand chopped off" to punish_severe for things like stealing...

Couldn't we just mod an axe in for the hammerers' weapon in order to do this?

And reading through other posts, I am curious to see if we could make a "pre-requisites" tree schematic for upcoming features to be added, because with this method, it would help reveal other upcoming features/intimate suggestions that are always great icing on the cake. IE, Pre-requisite for amputation will not only include rotting, but cauterizing as well (intentional and unintentional)!

Kittah_Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4484 on: September 08, 2009, 03:45:57 am »

Are you people seriously bitching about rotting tissues doing no damage to the rest of the body ?
While, previously, there wasn't even any healthcare beyond lying in a bed while being given water and food.
Nor was there anything approaching complexity in body damage compared to what's in now.

If you want everything to come in at the same time, you're welcome to wait a couple of years, I'd very much like to play THIS version with some simple placeholders.
Pages: 1 ... 297 298 [299] 300 301 ... 1065